News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DTVPal DVR

Started by jkane, Thursday Nov 20, 2008, 11:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkane

The TR-50 is available for pre-order at dtvpal.com.  I am so tempted.  Not sure if I want to be first though.  ;)

basshive

I am trying to convince my father in law to check this out. He just wants SIMPLE OTA dvr capability. Seems to fit the bill to me!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

basshive

Any idea what the guide and such looks like? I have never used Dish so not sure if they look the same etc. Would like to see some screenshots of on-screen stuff.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Will

Quote from: jkane;49226The TR-50 is available for pre-order at dtvpal.com.  I am so tempted.  Not sure if I want to be first though.  ;)

Well, I'll be the guinea pig.  I put my order in on the first day.  They say it should ship about Dec. 17 -- I'll be sure to post my experience with it.  

Quote from: basshive;49261Any idea what the guide and such looks like? I have never used Dish so not sure if they look the same etc. Would like to see some screenshots of on-screen stuff.

There is a .pdf manual here on the dtvpal website that shows b/w pictures.  The manual is about 7MB.

So far it seems like it will look similar to the tr-40/dtvpal converter box guide.  In other words, very plain.  Remember, this is still pre-release, so nobody really knows yet.  The beta testers posting on avsforum indicate that software is being updated via the ethernet port, so the current look may be changed.

It will use TVGOS data, so that will be quite nice.  Seven days of program data should be available.  I love that this has no fees.

Anyone else here buy one yet / planning to?

StarvingForHDTV

That looks like a nice item.  I am anxious to hear how it works.

Will

I got mine on Christmas Eve.  This thing is really nice.  It does what's advertised, and does it well.  

Quote from: basshive;49258I am trying to convince my father in law to check this out. He just wants SIMPLE OTA dvr capability. Seems to fit the bill to me!

He will love it.  I highly recommend it!

Quote from: basshive;49261Any idea what the guide and such looks like? I have never used Dish so not sure if they look the same etc. Would like to see some screenshots of on-screen stuff.

See the avsforums thread.  The first post has a bunch of FAQs, as well as pictures, etc.

Quote from: StarvingForHDTV;49268That looks like a nice item.  I am anxious to hear how it works.

Again, it works very well.  The tuner is quite sensitive -- picks everything up, no dropouts on weaker channels (49-1 e.g.) like my older Sony TV tuner.  Picture quality is every bit as good as my current tuner.  It might even be better.  Setup is very easy as well.  Oh, and it's quiet.

Having 2 tuners really makes this that much more useful.  I can record 2 shows at once, and watch a 3rd on my TV's tuner at the same time.

People on AVS have already had success easily replacing the built in hard drive for a 500GB.  I'll wait on that...

I'm getting TVGOS data without any hassle, though some channels show much less data than I had anticipated.  36 digital seems to be a prime offender, and channel 4 is as well.  Wondering if any of you with the Sony DHG units (Scott, cjucoder?) have the same issues with TVGOS for these stations?

I will say it's nowhere near as polished as Vista Media Center, but it's not tied to a computer either.  (VMC has its annoyances, too.)  I think I'll use VMC for season passes and such, and only use it to make sure I'm not missing scheduling any recordings on the DTVpal.

If you are OTA-only and don't already have a DVR solution, you should really consider buying one of these.

Let me know if you have any questions about this box.  I'd be happy to answer them.

Will

cjucoder

Quote from: Will;49778I'm getting TVGOS data without any hassle, though some channels show much less data than I had anticipated.  36 digital seems to be a prime offender, and channel 4 is as well.  Wondering if any of you with the Sony DHG units (Scott, cjucoder?) have the same issues with TVGOS for these stations?
PBS guide data is still all wonky.  No change from when I first started complaining about it to MPTV in this thread:  http://milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8089.
Wrong shows listed, still has subchannels under 10 not 36.  Analog shows seem to be listed correctly.  I've decided not to keep pursing the problem until after the Feb cutoff and see what the data looks like coming from the new host channel.

As far as 4 I never noticed anything.  By "less data" do you just mean less details about each show?  Are your PBS shows at least correct in the guide?

Will

Quote from: cjucoder;49784PBS guide data is still all wonky.  No change from when I first started complaining about it to MPTV in this thread:  http://milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8089.
Wrong shows listed, still has subchannels under 10 not 36.  Analog shows seem to be listed correctly.  I've decided not to keep pursing the problem until after the Feb cutoff and see what the data looks like coming from the new host channel.

Thanks.  The DTVpal DVR uses PSIP data if TVGOS data is absent, so my guess is that I'm seeing TVGOS data for all other channels, but PSIP data for 10 and 36.  I'm only getting guide data going out 12 hours or so for PBS.

Quote from: cjucoder;49784As far as 4 I never noticed anything.  By "less data" do you just mean less details about each show?  Are your PBS shows at least correct in the guide?

I meant that the guide only went out only 12 hours or so, as opposed to the 8 days the other channels show.  I'll have to check the listings for channel 4 again.  I don't know why TVGOS wouldn't pick that up properly, so perhaps it was just misbehaving yesterday?

I'll try to upload a picture of the guide data to show you what mine looks like.

SRW1000

The 36.1 - 36.4 data on my Sony HD DVR looks accurate, at least for tonight's listings.  Granted, I don't watch these channels all that often, but the 7:00 PM listings seem to match what's on right now.

There was a period almost everything appeared to be wrong, but lately it looks like it is correct.  The data goes all the way to next week Monday at 11:00 PM, and I don't see any obvious gaps.

Cjucoder, I ended up having to do a manual reset of my Sony guide data about a month or two ago.  It resulted in having to go through and reset all of the stations and reassign their positions.  Maybe that's why my data is complete now, while you're still having problems.

Will, can you tell what your host channel is with the DTVPal?  The TV Guide info should be coming through 58.1, since that unit doesn't have a digital tuner.  My Sony is still pulling guide data from analog 10.

Are either of you getting any listings for THIS (58.3)?

Scott

SRW1000

Will,

Thanks for the updates on this unit.  Given my past history with buggy Dish first-gen receivers, I am hesitant to order this unit without seeing a lot of feedback.

If it works as advertised, it's a steal.  Let's hope that Dish has their stuff together on this one.  Reading through the AVS thread, it looks like some users are having some significant problems with it, especially if it's connected to the internet.  Maybe it's just an early fluke.

Scott

Will

Quote from: SRW1000;49792The 36.1 - 36.4 data on my Sony HD DVR looks accurate, at least for tonight's listings.  Granted, I don't watch these channels all that often, but the 7:00 PM listings seem to match what's on right now.

There was a period almost everything appeared to be wrong, but lately it looks like it is correct.  The data goes all the way to next week Monday at 11:00 PM, and I don't see any obvious gaps...

Will, can you tell what your host channel is with the DTVPal?  The TV Guide info should be coming through 58.1, since that unit doesn't have a digital tuner.  My Sony is still pulling guide data from analog 10.

Are either of you getting any listings for THIS (58.3)?

Scott,

It seems that the analog TVGOS data provided by PBS 10 might be different than the digital version from CBS 58.  I checked last night, and as of 11PM I did not get guide data past 9:00 AM today for 36.1-36.4.  That could also mean that it's using PSIP rather than TVGOS for these channels.

I haven't checked whether I can verify this on the unit itself, but 58.1 should be the host channel that the DTVPal is getting guide data from.  From what I've read, CBS is the only carrier of digital TVGOS.  As you noted, the DTVPal DVR has only ATSC tuners.  It can't get analog 10 to receive the analog guide version.

I show listings for 58.3, but have not checked the accuracy.  I assumed they were right, as everything else has been.

Quote from: SRW1000;49793Will,

Thanks for the updates on this unit.  Given my past history with buggy Dish first-gen receivers, I am hesitant to order this unit without seeing a lot of feedback.

If it works as advertised, it's a steal.  Let's hope that Dish has their stuff together on this one.  Reading through the AVS thread, it looks like some users are having some significant problems with it, especially if it's connected to the internet.  Maybe it's just an early fluke.

Scott

I'm hoping it's a fluke.  I've noticed no problems with mine, and I do have it connected to the 'net.  I upgraded the firmware as soon as I plugged it in.  

I'm hoping that any issues that might arise will be able to be addressed by firmware updates; the hardware that they're using seems to be good stuff based on the AVS thread.

So far, I think it is a steal at $250.

Will

Bebop

Why didn't they have the option of getting data off the net? TitanTV data are free.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

jkane

I've been trying to follow this.  It makes no sense.  The DTV Pal uses the data feed that is part of each digital TV station's signal, not some other service.  If your guide data is wrong, re-find the stations.  If that does not work, contact the station and ask them why they are still living in 2008.  (That will make more sense tomorrow.)

Bebop

The program guide from the ATSC signal of each station is only good up to 12 hours. I don't think it's relying on that data.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Will

Quote from: jkane;49813I've been trying to follow this.  It makes no sense.  The DTV Pal uses the data feed that is part of each digital TV station's signal, not some other service.  If your guide data is wrong, re-find the stations.  If that does not work, contact the station and ask them why they are still living in 2008.  (That will make more sense tomorrow.)

It is a bit confusing, I'll admit.  The DTVPal DVR can get its guide data from two different sources.  

The first, and preferred, method is TVGOS.  CBS, and only CBS, sends this data as a part of the digital signal at certain times during the day.  The DVR will then use this data, if available, for its guide.  

If TVGOS is not available (or missing data?), this DVR will use PSIP data sent by each station.  

For example:  I think that I am getting TVGOS guide data for all channels except 4, 10, and 36 on my DTVPal DVR.  For 4, 10, and 36, my guide data does not go past 12-24 hours, and I therefore believe that to be PSIP data.

Perhaps further adding to the confusion is that there are two varieties of TVGOS -- analog and digital.  10 sends analog TVGOS, 58 sends digital.  The DTVPal DVR only handles digital stations, so uses 58's data.

Clear as mud?