News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Attic antenna

Started by Fordfamily2005, Wednesday Jul 25, 2012, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fordfamily2005

Hello - new to the forum.

Have a Winegard HD-8800 8 bay antenna (no rotor) in my attic. Due to where I live, an outdoor antenna is not an option. I also have a RCA "TVPRAMP1R" pre-amp as well. I live in western Milwaukee county.

I'd like to be able to get if possible, TV stations from either Madison or Chicago. I know this might be crazy, but if it was possible/affordable with an attic antenna, I am all ears.

I should/need to get RG-6 from the antenna to the splitter in the basement (good winter project).

If this isn't realistic, let me know.

Thank you.

PONIES

I think you will need a large roof antenna to accomplish such a task. The networks for each DMA purposely try to ensure that their signal is just weak enough that people in the next market over can't get it very easy.

Honestly, if you're that starved for more free TV, you should look into a motorized free-to-air satellite dish.

By the way, you say you are not able to have an antenna "because of where you live." Is this because you are renting and are afraid of a landlord? You are legally allowed to have an outside satellite or over-the-air antenna whether you rent or own a house or apartment and your landlord is legally required to let you have one whether you signed a contract forbidding them or not. That contract is unenforceable.

QuoteQ:  What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A:  The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g.  maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite).  Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes.  Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

techguy1975

Quote from: PONIES;58724I think you will need a large roof antenna to accomplish such a task. The networks for each DMA purposely try to ensure that their signal is just weak enough that people in the next market over can't get it very easy.

That is untrue.  The area they serve is determined by the FCC.  They are licensed for a certain antenna height & location which serves a particular area.

mrschimpf

Quote from: PONIES;58724I think you will need a large roof antenna to accomplish such a task. The networks for each DMA purposely try to ensure that their signal is just weak enough that people in the next market over can't get it very easy.[/url]

DMAs have nothing to do with signal coverage in the least (if it was that way, Salt Lake City would need a 4,000'+ tower to serve the entire state, and in the Baltimore-Washington situation, either market's stations would have their stations transmit at a power equivalent to that of an urban translator to limit to DMA). They serve a service area, and the DMA is just where the advertising and weather warnings are focused to, not signal coverage. Also, common sense is you can't have a station too powerful (co-channel interference) or you'll get viewers in the next market over complaining about a station scrambling theirs, a situation currently going on between WBME and South Bend's WHME, which both transmit on digital 48 (the latter is trying to move to 46 to fix it, though then they'd also bump into WDJT on 46).

As for the OP's question, it's certainly doable to have an antenna powerful enough to do that, though you may need to a powerful antenna to grab the Madison stations because of the Kettles acting like a natural firewall between Madison and Milwaukee somewhat. You could also easily grab stations from Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo too (I actually get as far as Lansing on my digital rabbit ears on a good day, and Detroit's Ann Arbor-licensed Ion station; I have the Radio Shack Enterprise-shaped unit).

Fordfamily2005

I own, but its not in my best interest to have any type of antenna on our roof.....There are "logistical" issues with the roofing material, etc.
I do not want a leak !

If its near impossible, I am ok with that. Just thought I'd ask.

budda

http://digitenna.com/SpecSheets.pdf

I have the extreme. I live in Oconomowoc , I get Milwaukee and Madison. Mine is mounted in the garage rafters, "attached". I did this because I got a new roof. No matter what you do It will be a gamble. You can get better or worse results based on water tower, roof material, alot of factors. The pre-amp is the most powerful channel master I could find. Sorry don't have the model. If I point my ant.. at Chicago, I can get a few stations but not all. It is worth playing with. I am not sure where the towers are in Chic.. but I would guess you have a shot. :) Good luck

Fordfamily2005

Thanks for the company name. I have no heard of them, and they are right in our backyard! How much for the extreme ?
Can I have 2 antenna on the same coax connected? Any tips on that?

I might consider a rotor, but I don't know if that will work well in my space.

budda

I get my stuff like that from Skywalker. New Berlin around Calhoun and Lincoln. Sign up as a account/ Business. Only thing is it is not retail you get better prices but you can not return like at Walmart. So be sure it is what you want. The Fringe extreme is like125.00 65 miles plus and the extreme is like 105.00. 55 mile range. These are directional antennas which means you get best results based on where it is pointed.

As far as two on one coax I think the may be a problem, the signals will but heads there is a term for it but it escapes me. Peace

ArgMeMatey

You can experiment with more than one antenna on a single coax, but it wouldn't be advised.  When two broadcasters are using the same frequency, in the analog world you would see a "zebra" or "crosshatch" pattern.  In the digital world you would probably see a blank screen.  

Typically you would need to know exactly which RF channels you want to pass from each antenna.  Then you would run the coax from each antenna through bandpass or notch filters depending on whether you want to block or pass specific channels.  

Due to the loss from the filters, you then might need amplifiers.  And, if your filters aren't that great, you might need single channel amps.  

You can get there by experimenting, but typically you want a meter so you can properly calculate the signal levels needed.  Your starting point will always be to check what you get from each antenna separately, then figure out the RF channels being used, make a table with signal strengths and figure out how to combine.  This is harder in the ATSC world because not only do you have a lot of channels to scan, rotating the antenna can change your results quite a bit.  So set aside a nice day or two for tinkering.

Fordfamily2005

I am going to clean up the attic and properly mount the antenna (its not stable), run new RG6 or better and possibly add a rotor. Is there a way to mount an antenna without damage to a roof, or without being mounted to a chimney ?

If possible, This would obviously work better, but very doubtful....

Bebop

Not exactly pretty..

http://www.3starinc.com/non-penetrating_dbs_dss_pitched_roof_mount_that_also_fits_directv_slimline_dish.html

Probably work for a regular antenna too.

There more options if you have a flat roof.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

budda

U can get some joist/rafter brackets that mount from the top down. These look like muffler clamps with mounting bracket. This allows you to hang the pole straight down. slide on antenna and point it were needed. works great in attics and garages. will try and post a picture very cheap also like 3.00. Not sure if it works with a roter have not tried that. Peace

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Fordfamily2005;58744I am going to clean up the attic and properly mount the antenna (its not stable), run new RG6 or better and possibly add a rotor. Is there a way to mount an antenna without damage to a roof, or without being mounted to a chimney ?
What is your roofing material?  

Do you have a gable?  If so you can mount there and use a mast to get above the roof line as needed.

Fordfamily2005

No gable - its a flat roof (made of rubber and tar I'd guess). Our chimneys are not in the best of shape, and supposedly an old satellite dish + wind = loose chimney.

I am sure I could put on on the chimney if it was proved that this was not the case......