News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Transmitting Antenna ?

Started by techboy, Sunday Jun 10, 2012, 09:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techboy

I have noticed that a new TV transmitting antenna is being hung on the west
bridge of the super tower in Milwaukee.  Anybody know who it belongs to?
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Nels Harvey

Quote from: techboy;58541I have noticed that a new TV transmitting antenna is being hung on the west

The antenna may be the either the new antenna for Ch. 10 (8), or Ch. 36 (35).  Last fall the antennas for 10 & 36 on the Ch. 18 tower were upgraded, and a feed line was run from the American Tower building.  If this is what I think it is, Ch. 10 and/or Ch. 36 are operating on the Ch. 18 tower backup, using the new feed line and antennas.

The planned two new antennas are circular polarized, and ought to improve signal quality all around.  This project has been in the works for over a year.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Nels Harvey

Quote from: techboy;58541I have noticed that a new TV transmitting antenna is being hung on the west

The antenna may be the either the new antenna for Ch. 10 (8), or Ch. 36 (35).  Last fall the antennas for 10 & 36 on the Ch. 18 tower were upgraded, and a feed line was run from the American Tower building.  If this is what I think it is, Ch. 10 and/or Ch. 36 are operating on the Ch. 18 tower backup, using the new feed line and antennas, permitting the changeover on the American tower.

The planned two new antennas are circular polarized, and ought to improve signal quality all around.  This project has been in the works for over a year.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

techboy

Thanks for that info.

Milwaukee Public TV must be rolling in money.  Upgraded antennas on the old tower last year and new antennas on the community tower now.   I like PBS, but I'm getting tired of pledge month 4X per year and the almost endless paintings auction.   When WISN put up their circular polarization antenna their signal degraded at my location; especially in summer, using outdoor 4 bay bow tie.  I know that the idea is that CP works better with small indoor ( no gain and monopole ) antennas.  And of course you need to feed CP with double power ( electric bill + ).  Has anyone seen a commercially available outdoor CP receiving antenna?  Left hand or right hand CP?   I suppose that I could replace the cat wiskers on my bow-tie with circular hoops.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Gregg Lengling

Offensive user and his posts and responses have been removed and the poster's registration cancelled.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}