News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Signal Issues?

Started by grenier, Wednesday Apr 18, 2012, 10:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenier

I've been getting some pixellation and stuttering lately, mostly after it rained and I checked the signal going to my box:

Inband Network 1: -8.0  Dbmv 36.0 DB
Inband Network 2: -18.0 Dbmv 31.0 DB

The Inband Network 2 numbers are red which tells me something is wrong. I'm debating calling, but I predict they'll just want to swap out the box without addressing the issue. Could this be a box issue or is it more likely a signal/cable issue?

The box, Cisco 8640HDC, has been noisy lately but doesn't the box always keep spinning up?
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

Totally lost the signal today for  minute, cable, phone and Internet. I think it's a bad splitter. After swapping out cables from the splitter to the box, the signal was still bad. I hooked the incoming line from the pole directly to the cable box and the signals are great.

I  have a service call today, I bet he wants to swap out the box.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58452Totally lost the signal today for  minute, cable, phone and Internet. I think it's a bad splitter. After swapping out cables from the splitter to the box, the signal was still bad. I hooked the incoming line from the pole directly to the cable box and the signals are great.

I  have a service call today, I bet he wants to swap out the box.

Make sure you tell the tech that removing the splitter improved things, and that you only want a box swap as a last resort.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

grenier

He just left, he installed an amplifier and it seems vastly better. It wasn't the splitter after all, just a weak signal into the house. He said Time Warner was going to be installing amps in houses as needed.

I hope this finally solves the issue.

He never once mentioned swapping out the box, I was shocked.
Cisco 8640HDC

grenier

I spoke too soon, the pixellation is back, seems worse then before. I'm getting really tired of this, I just want to watch tv.

The tech is coming back tomorrow to replace the pole drop. If that doesn't work I'll replace the line from the splitter to the tv.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58455I spoke too soon, the pixellation is back, seems worse then before. I'm getting really tired of this, I just want to watch tv.

The tech is coming back tomorrow to replace the pole drop. If that doesn't work I'll replace the line from the splitter to the tv.

Remember my issues channel 1005 and 1012, and a couple of other stations that went off and on for about two years?  We had the drop pole line replaced, took care of it for about three months.  Than it came back.  The problem was a corroded cable in back of the DVR.  The tech said, that he had not seen those cables (in the back of my DVR) in over a year.

I would ask the tech to check and make sure that the cables in the back of the TV and cable box are OK.  Have him disconnect them to look at the connectors insides and see if they need to be replaced.  You can even mention this to the tech that you know of a customer who had his drop line replaced, and signal levels were good, but he (meaning me) would lose the signal and get pixiation on some HD channels after a few weeks.  It wasn't until the main cables in the back of the DVR was "updated" with something modern that the problems stopped.

Jack

PS.  What is the make and model of your box?  Even though I am convinced that has nothing to do with your problem.  Historically, splitters can make signals worse, so that may still be the culprit.  What signal are you splitting?  And why?  I think disconnecting that splitter is a good idea.

grenier

One of the previous techs replaced the connector on the cable going to the DVR, but it's the cable that was installed back in the early 1980. I was thinking about having him put a new connector on just in case that's a problem.

I'm thinking it's the drop line because the issues only started back up again recently when the weather got wetter. The fact that my phone/internet/analog tvs were acting up also makes me think it's an outside issue.

It's a Cisco 8640HDC, I really like the box and that's why I've been hesitant to swap it out...that and the feeling that it's not a box issue.

Right now the signal is split between the Internet, my HDTV and two analog tvs, I have to use the splitter. He said the splitter was fine, but I might have him swap it out anyway.

Do you mean amplifiers can make signals worse or splitters?
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;58457One of the previous techs replaced the connector on the cable going to the DVR, but it's the cable that was installed back in the early 1980. I was thinking about having him put a new connector on just in case that's a problem.

I'm thinking it's the drop line because the issues only started back up again recently when the weather got wetter. The fact that my phone/internet/analog tvs were acting up also makes me think it's an outside issue.

It's a Cisco 8640HDC, I really like the box and that's why I've been hesitant to swap it out...that and the feeling that it's not a box issue.

Right now the signal is split between the Internet, my HDTV and two analog tvs, I have to use the splitter. He said the splitter was fine, but I might have him swap it out anyway.

Do you mean amplifiers can make signals worse or splitters?

I am not an expert on signal strength. However, when you are splitting a signal the effectiveness of that signal is lessened because you have 50% going to one device and 50% going to another device.  The boxes and guide are very sensitive as they are, and by splitting the signal, your only getting 50% effectiveness.  You have the amplifier boosting things, but a conflict could be generated at some point between the 50/50 signal split plus the amp with more power, and that could cause cable problems.  The issues may not be instantaneous, but may build up over time.  The best performance is everything going straight through with no compromise.

Therefore, if you dump that splitter, examine what you will have soon after the tech visit:

1.) A new drop pole line
2.) Your cable boxes and devices, are not restricted by any splitters.
3.) Your amplifier is helping keep the signal strong.
4.) No reason you should have bad cable with the splitter gone following steps 1-4  UNLESS:

a.) TWC is doing maintenance or updates on your node, which could be many things.
b.)  The box is having issues.  However, I think that splitter is the bad omen here.

Jack

grenier

Dumping the splitter isn't an option though. How can I get the signal to four devices without a splitter?
Cisco 8640HDC

Jimboy

Quote from: grenier;58459Dumping the splitter isn't an option though. How can I get the signal to four devices without a splitter?

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/amps.htm

We have an eight port model here...works fine.

grenier

Quote from: Jimboy;58460http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/amps.htm

I wonder if Time Warner supplies anything like that.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jimboy

Quote from: grenier;58462I wonder if Time Warner supplies anything like that.

TWC didn't supply ours........

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Jimboy;58460http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/amps.htm

Just FYI the Channel Master amps on that page are rated 54-1002 MHz, so you might have trouble with upstream channels that are important for cable modems.  Upstream channels are normally below 42 MHz.  

http://www.sunrisetelecom.com/support/article_docsis_impairments.php

I don't know what else TWC puts on channels below that threshold but I know at one point I had a splitter with a cutoff that was too high, and it was a glaring problem.

I've had an Electroline for many years and can recommend them for CATV use.   Here's a nice one, and you can read up on Active Return in the first review:  http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-FT08300-Booster-Amplifier-Warranty/dp/B00299G80Q/ref=pd_cp_e_0

ddeerrff

That would be a 15 dB amplifier with a built in (2, 4, 8) way splitter on it's output.  As for the 54-1002 MHz bandwidth, that is for the forward channel.  The unit also includes a unity gain reverse channel that covers 5-42 MHz.  More complete spec can be seen here: http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Antenna_Cable_TV_Amplifier_p/cm-3410.htm

grenier

Things have been considerably better but I've been having weird things happen. Every few days the analog tvs get a fuzzy picture and if I check the the modem log it shows:

Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received  

The levels at the tv are ok but it's showing corrected and uncorrected errors. It seems the signal level is dropping pretty low.

My thought is that it's an outside issue. It's actually happening right now, my Internet/phone just died for a minute.

Anyone have any ideas?
Cisco 8640HDC