News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC - new channel lineups on the way (eventually)

Started by LoadStar, Tuesday May 21, 2013, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

Looks like TWC is in the process of re-shuffling the channel lineups across the board:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/twc/en/residential-home/tv/my-channels.html
Based on this page and what I've seen from other regions, what they will be doing is "merging" the SD and HD channels together.

For example, right now, Discovery SD is 130 and Discovery HD is 1130.  After the channel lineup shuffle, you'll just tune to 130 (or whatever it ends up being) and if you have an SD receiver, you'll get the SD channel, and the HD channel on an HD receiver.

The page above just shows "coming soon;" the changes are being already implemented in other regions.

gparris

Thanks for the update, I wonder exactly when this will happen. Summer cable shows are about to happen and my season pass for them is already set from last year and I'd hate to miss these recordings if possible.
As for the change in the numbers, this could be a good thing, fewer channel numbers to remember, no SD channel being tuned in vs. the HD channel on a HDTV set anymore, resulting in an less-than-optimal picture (and sound if external speakers are added).
The only issue then will be those with HDTVs set up with SD boxes and composite video (yellow connector) connections, or no box at all, you wouldn't believe what I see sometimes. :bang:

LoadStar

The other part of the question will be how a third-party receiver with a cablecard, like a Ceton, HDHomeRun, or a TiVo, will handle this. Will they just (accurately) assume those are HD capable?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

gparris

Good question about the other STB's that are not from TWC. Maybe the type of connection used will activate the HD or SD channel selection on the non-TWC devices or the way they "talk" to the TWC system for actual use on these other devices. I don't have these non-TWC devices in my system at home so I don't know how they work. I'm sure TWC has this in play. Have the other subs in those other regions experienced any problems?

gparris

Some channels in SD I like to watch, like The Weather Channel on channel 64 because, unlike the HD channel 1370, this channel gives the local weather and local radar, so in the future, the system will negate this more locally-informative SD channel. Not happy. :OnAir:

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;59353Some channels in SD I like to watch, like The Weather Channel on channel 64 because, unlike the HD channel 1370, this channel gives the local weather and local radar, so in the future, the system will negate this more locally-informative SD channel. Not happy. :OnAir:

GP,

That's a good point about The Weaather Channel SD only giving out the local forcast.  There are also times when I like to record SD to save DVR space.  My guess is that because we are theme-based already, Wisconsin may be one of the later TWC systems to get the change-over.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Channel 64 was the only "duplicate" SD channel I believe TWC will not allow access to in the future because of the HD channel "equivalent" which does not deliver the local weather and radar, especially when you need it in stormy weather, for my needs.
I never need to record the SD equivalent of the HD channels I subscribe to in order to save HDD space because with whole house DVR (with Signature Home) I have two HD DVRs at 500GB a piece, I never seem to fill these up. :wave:

gparris

Well, it's June now and TWC has not informed us of a box update or when these channels will be changed. :bang:
Many cable and broadcast networks are rolling out their summer shows and if TWC messes up and the channels do not record, this will not do.
Their site says it shouldn't happen, scheduled shows for recording should migrate to the "new" HD channels, but a disclaimer also says to review all scheduled recordings after the change.
Way to go, TWC!

LoadStar

Quote from: gparris;59365Well, it's June now and TWC has not informed us of a box update or when these channels will be changed. :bang:
Many cable and broadcast networks are rolling out their summer shows and if TWC messes up and the channels do not record, this will not do.
Their site says it shouldn't happen, scheduled shows for recording should migrate to the "new" HD channels, but a disclaimer also says to review all scheduled recordings after the change.
Way to go, TWC!

I wouldn't worry about it. My guess is that we'll be waiting for a while yet for the updates. They're just starting to roll the updated lineups out in other regions, such as Syracuse, NY... it may be some time before the changes come here.

I'm sure they'll give sufficient warning before they update the lineups, as they have in other regions. This won't be a surprise.

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;59365Well, it's June now and TWC has not informed us of a box update or when these channels will be changed. :bang:
Way to go, TWC!

GP,

Do you still have Signature Home?  You could call your Personal Solutions Agent like once a month and ask when the new line-ups are coming?  We will get plenty of advanced notice I'm sure.  We may be closer to last than first, because Wisconsin is Theme-Based already.  National roll-out won't start until August at least.  Regions of New York will be first test markets.  Syracuse, I think is set for June 18.

Jack

gparris

Of course I still have Signature Home and I do ask about these topics but I get no more information than they already know so far.
I will ask again when they do their usual call to the house to see if everything is okay (a service of Signature Home). :wave:

gparris

Last Saturday, my Digital Phone went out, so I called Signature Home and they came out right away at the time I asked for, (2 men came out) and fixed it, apologizing for the error in the connection done by the average TWC (non-Signature Home installer). The outside wires leading into the house were not connected completely for the phone and when the rains come (as they have been a lot lately), the line would foul up and not work. While the 2 were working on the problem, which took less than 45 minutes, I asked if they knew anything about the new channel line ups and cable boxes (replacements for the  8300HDC everyone gets without Whole House DVR). The answer is the programming is being worked on now, the boxes are still the same  boxes you get (nothing else except Samsung if you ask and beg), but no release date for the line up change.  
Maybe they didn't know (or were told) anything else, but they also checked my Cisco HD DVR boxes and the matching client boxes, including the internet for any problems, too, just to be certain nothing else was amiss, very efficient as they appeared, (not just into the Digital Phone), so they must have had the most up to date knowledge on what is coming up, IMO.

LoadStar

As I noted in another thread, the page for the Digital Adapters provides the following quote: "Starting on or about September 4th, 2013, some designated channels will be delivered in digital format only." It then gives a specific date for Wisconsin of 9/11/13.

Completely guessing here, but this *may* be the date for the rollout of the new channel lineup... with the new channel lineup on the way, I can't see them doing a separate date for converting channels from analog to digital, but odder things have happened.

Either way, at the very least, prepare for a possible shift of some channels to digital at that time.

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;59551As I noted in another thread, the page for the Digital Adapters provides the following quote: "Starting on or about September 4th, 2013, some designated channels will be delivered in digital format only." It then gives a specific date for Wisconsin of 9/11/13.

Completely guessing here, but this *may* be the date for the rollout of the new channel lineup... with the new channel lineup on the way, I can't see them doing a separate date for converting channels from analog to digital, but odder things have happened.

Either way, at the very least, prepare for a possible shift of some channels to digital at that time.

Sup Loadstar?

That could be.  But I think right now the focus should soley be on TWC reaching a fair agreement for CBS in national markets so it can come back on the air, and the same for Showtime and sister stations gone for all TWC systems in the country.  Than, look at the status of Journal Broadcasting WTMJ's-4's blackout on TWC.

August 9th for the pre-Packer game on channel 4 is going to be a strong negotiating tool for Journal Broadcasting and TWC.

Than, they can work on the lineup.  But right now, any line-ups and updates I think are secondary to the blackout situation.

Jack

gparris

True, wait until the JBG and CBS channels are back on, then adjust the lineup.

TWC has been so hard on CBS that it has threatened to take away their prized channel 2 spot in some systems that use it for their CBS local channel, so it probably will take some time for them to get back to negotiate back it all with TWC, it's been that bad.
Right now, I have many TWC channel slots marked "OFF AIR" and that stinks, why does the consumer/subscriber get caught in the crosshairs of every corporate battle?

I already get the Starz and Encore channels, due to family member requests, so the fact the TWC is offering them free in place of Showtime and The Movie Channel does wash with me, I want to watch shows on Showtime like Ray Donovan and it just not happening.
CBS has also cut off access to CBS.com to TWC customers, from what I have read, I don't know how, but it has, so unless I get Netflix or Hulu Plus, I will probably will forget about Showtime series I am missing until it comes on Blu-ray,  but why bother?