News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Charter MOXI HD DVR

Started by johnmark, Sunday Oct 17, 2004, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmark

I finally bit the bullet and had Charter install a Moxi.  The first unit had a bad modem so it would not download the guide etc.  Charter went out of their way to get me a replacement and get it running.

So far I am very happy with it.  I have tried many HD tuners with my setup.  The Moxi has as good an HD picture as anything I have seen.  The digital cable picture is as good as the Motorola 6200.  Analog cable is the worst I have seen.  An important thing I found is that feeding my TV 480i gave a much better picture then feeding it 480p.

The DVR works great.  I have never used a Tivo so I can not compare them.  The guide is different then most, but I like it.  Its not too slow and is easy to search.

My box has not been upgraded to the new software that is supposed to speed up the guide among other things.  I am waiting for the update that will allow changes in resolution with one button on the remote.  This is promised this year.

AVSForum has a good thread on Moxi in the recorder section.  One of the reasons I got this box is the great support that Moxi provides on AVSForum.  All manufacturers could learn from Moxi on how to interact with people on forum like this.

The unit has a fan so it does make a little noise.  Its just enough that I unplug the Moxi when I am seriously listening to music.

GADGET71

johnmark-

Can you give me an idea of what you pay for the moxi and other services through Charter that are required to have moxi.
I am exploring my next upgrade.

Gadget71
________
Yamaha CP300

johnmark

With high speed internet (3 meg/second)  my bill is ~$110 per months.  This includes locals and just about every movie channel on the system.  I do not have the other non-movie digital channels.

Mark Strube

By 3 meg a second, you're talking about 3 megaBITS per second, correct? That'd be news to me if cable internet providers starting giving people 3 megabyte per second download. :blush:

borghe

umm.. Road Runner has been doing unadvertised 3Mbps for a while now... hell, I burst on Road Runner to over 1MBps (that would be 8Mbps) and settle in to around 400KBps+ (3.1Mbps).

As much as I hate TWC, Road Runner is lightning fast. The only problem I have ever had with RR is when they changed their policy about a year or so ago and started blocking ports < 1024, all the while with customer service claiming "That has always been our policy." If that was always their policy then why was I running a web server on port 80 for the three years before that and why does my contract I signed in 2000 say that you can run non-commercial FTP, mail, and web servers.

/rant off

Aside from that, RR rules..

Mark Strube

I'm using earthlink cable and I've always got a solid download speed of about 360kbps (3.6mbps) so I'm pretty happy. :)

borghe

360KBps (assuming that's what you mean) is actually 2.8Mbps...

johnmark

I wanted to update my earlier mini review of the Moxi.  Charter pushed that latest update this week and it makes the unit much better.  Navigation is much faster with some minor but welcome changes to the interface.  Picture quality is improved as well.  Again see AFVForum for details.  Now that Charter has most of the major networks (hey where's PBS???) I may sell my OTR receiver.