News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

8300hd Dvr

Started by gparris, Thursday Sep 16, 2004, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

If you feel you got to be the guinea pig with the TWC SA8000HD DVR, wait patiently....perhaps because TWC might do what it did to the SA3100HD boxes and got us the 3510HDs from Pioneer.:)

Since we do not own them, we rent them...I noticed some other cable companies seem to have stopped offering the current 8000HD model and it could be replaced witht the 8300HD DVR instead....see this link below:

http://sciatl.com/customers/Source/7004920.pdf

This one could possibly be more bug free, offer what Paul S. is waiting for and has the ability to watch two shows at once.:D

Who knows how long we will have to wait to exchange our current pixelating HD DVRs for this one....

Probably as long as the WB18 HD channel appearing on TWC!:(

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by gparris

This one could possibly be more bug free, offer what Paul S. is waiting for

Hell yes! :guitar:

summerfun

has the ability to watch two shows at once.:D !:(
What do you mean by that? This one can watch two shows at once.

gparris

The split screen should allow for side by side viewing of 2 programmes. The attachment does not directly shows it, but implies it, okay?
Anyway, the 8000HD was just something investors could be told that it was out for the subscriber and now, on to a more improved HD DVR (and SD DVR).
Since we do not buy them, we could swap them if TWC wants to do them like it did with 3100HD to 3510HD boxes in the past.:D

borghe

The 8300 is their media server. it will only show two pictures on the same TV through PIP. Otherwise it will have to send it to a client box for viewing on another tv.. no side by side action here.

it is cool though. Voom will be offering the same thing with their DVR as well (if they last that long). DirecTV wants to offer it also, and reportedly that is what has caused most of the recent problems between DirecTV and Tivo. DirecTV basically wanted Tivo to develop and deploy it at 100% cost to Tivo.. Tivo said no way, they already had a show sharing option in place (HMO). DirecTV said they didn't want the digital version of their shows passing across network lines (cable's server will send out a QAM modulated RF signal). DirecTV went to NDS who I would imagine is including such a feature in their box (it is a bit more complicated for satellites than for cable).

anyway, just a little info on the competitors.. it is cool though. I just wish DirecTV would let Tivo roll out HMO for DirecTivos.. :(

summerfun

Just curious from a technical perspective, if you can show PIP with two tuners, why can't it show side by side?

What would be the difference?

borghe

the problem as I would see it isn't a technical problem but a logistical one. The feature exists on BOTH the SD and HD versions. It is natural to assume you could show two 4:3 pictures side by side on a 16:9 set, but what about a 4:3 set? How would you show two pictures? And how would you show two 16:9 pictures on a 16:9 set? How would you show two 16:9 pictures on a 4:3 set? YUCK!!

PIP is easy. It has been around for ages and problem solved. Side by side is relatively new and its main application has been doing side by side 4:3 on 16:9 sets... I think as 4:3 goes away, so will side by side... just a not very practical application IMHO.

Now if they gave you an ability to control the size of PIP... MUCH more advantageous than side by side....

Paul S.

Is this a dead issue now or what? :confused:

gparris

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul S.
Is this a dead issue now or what? :confused:

Looks like, until you get your 8300HD from TWC, you won't be able to get the maximum advantage of your calibration using the DVI ports until this one comes out for use, whenever that is.:(

Otherwise, I would use some decent component cables, not the ones TWC gives you (tried them vs. my monster:awful) and get the 8000HD this way so you can at least time-shift your HD programmes. Last night I watched a few HD programmes from prior weeks past and noticed no pixelation or sound errors.

At least this way, you get to at very least get familiar with your TWC DVR's operation before the 8300HD (which is similar) and allow yourself some time-shifting in HD, anyway...:D

Paul S.

Looks like, until you get your 8300HD from TWC, you won't be able to get the maximum advantage of your calibration using the DVI ports until this one comes out for use, whenever that is.:(

Otherwise, I would use some decent component cables, not the ones TWC gives you (tried them vs. my monster:awful) and get the 8000HD this way so you can at least time-shift your HD programmes. Last night I watched a few HD programmes from prior weeks past and noticed no pixelation or sound errors.

At least this way, you get to at very least get familiar with your TWC DVR's operation before the 8300HD (which is similar) and allow yourself some time-shifting in HD, anyway...:D

I may have found a way around this- Pacificcable.com had a DVI adapter. I'm just waiting on confirmation from them if they have a componant->DVI-D as opposed to DVI-I. I'll keep everyone posted.

kjnorman

Wooowh! Part number 4006775, the Explorer 8300HD Multi-Room DVR with 160GB HDD, HDMI and Dual IEEE1394 ports would be a very interesting machine!  Plus HDD expansion using serial ATA - know more having to open up the box to expand storage capability.

If TWC where to get these, then I think that would tempt me back to cable and give up DirecTV.  

Though, I am sure they would charge a pretty penny for it :(

Kerry

Mark Strube

I don't see why they'd charge anymore than they're charging currently? $14.90 total per month.

borghe

Frankly I wouldn't be so sure.. TWC seems to nickel and dime for everything (DVR fee per box).

I would not be surprised if they charged a monthly "Show Sharing" fee or something.. or just raised the DVR price per box to like $9.99.

Mark Strube

That would suck, but it'd certainly be well worth it, especially for a nicer less buggy box.