News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Whole House DVR

Started by flash, Friday Dec 03, 2010, 05:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

I called TWC customer retention and tried to get my bill lowered but it was a futile attempt.  We have unlimited phone, 7 MB internet and digital cable  and one HD-DVR..... we pay $139 before taxes. (No pay channels or extras or other boxes)

I asked about adding another DVR and she explained that the price to record is $7.99 and the DVR rental is anther $9.99! I said "so it's $18 for the DVR?" and she told me yes. So to add the second DVR my bill would be $156 + tax!

I asked about other options and she told me that they will be launching "Whole House DVR" service next month so I should wait.  She said I would only need the one DVR so I wonder how that is going to work on my 3 other non-DVR/cable box TV's?

She said that some areas are testing the new service and I offered to be a guinea pig but my area is not in the "test area".

She didn't know a lot about the details but she also suggested I wait till Feb. because there might be some better deals coming along.

Unless somebody here has more ideas they would like to share (hint hint)......

markd

There was an article in the paper this week, that I'm too lazy to look up online right now, that talked about this new service.  It was part of some $180 package that also included appointment scheduling for exact times and not three hour windows (or something like that); a sort of "premium" package for the elite subscribers who wanted to pay for better service.  It was a weird article and you should check it out.  Anyway, it talked about the whole house DVR rolling out in December though.  I'm pretty interested myself.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: flash;56688I called TWC customer retention and tried to get my bill lowered but it was a futile attempt.  
Unless somebody here has more ideas they would like to share (hint hint)......
What's it worth to you?  It's always good to ask for a better deal, and it's more likely you will get a better deal if you show them you are ready to jump ship, even if you ultimately do not do so.  

If available in your area, check UVerse for intro specials.  Then call Time Warner back and press the button for "disconnect".  If you tell them you want to disconnect, because you were offered a better deal using AT&T, Dish, DirecTV or some combination, they will try to get you to stay.  

They will want you to tell them what you're being offered.  You can ask if they will beat or match a competitor, and they will probably say no, but I wouldn't tell them the competing price right away.  Let them offer you something better, and if that isn't undercutting the competing offer, tell them what the competition is offering.  

Even if UVerse isn't available to you, if you call TW and tell them you want to disconnect because the price is too high, they may offer a better deal.  

My experience is that when I call with a competing offer, it's rare that they don't offer a better deal.

Jack 1000

Quote from: markd;56690There was an article in the paper this week, that I'm too lazy to look up on-line right now, that talked about this new service.  It was part of some $180 package that also included appointment scheduling for exact times and not three hour windows (or something like that); a sort of "premium" package for the elite subscribers who wanted to pay for better service.  It was a weird article and you should check it out.  Anyway, it talked about the whole house DVR rolling out in December though.  I'm pretty interested myself.

I only have one TV and one DVR.  But I can tell you a little bit about the new service.  The whole package of cable, phone, and Internet is called "TWC Signature Home."  It was rolled out in TWC's test markets, and one of them is Charlotte North Carolina back in August.  Customers weren't too happy with it.  Their boxes were still slow, the 50gbs Road Runner speed was not as advertised, and they were experiencing Internet dropouts.  TWC Signature Home networks your Cable with Whole House DVR's,  Phone, and Internet to their network like an 'All The Best Package does." for a promoted price of $180.00 a month.

For Signature Home: You supposedly get much better techs, advanced notice of outages, and faster Internet.  The installers are better qualified too. (*Not sure if this is coming to Wisconsin at the same time as Whole House DVR or not.)

Whole House DVR: I think that for just the DVR portion, "Whole House DVR."  You will get new boxes for all TV's in the home.  The DVR's will be able to communicate with ALL the boxes, (even non-DVR's) to know what each box is doing.  You will be able to program only one of the DVR's and have the other DVR's pick up the programing.  You will also be able to restrict programing on other DVR's that you may not want the kids to watch.

I think that the non-DVR boxes with Reminder Times on them, the DVR will pick those up and you will have the option to set those as recordings on DVR boxes.

Whole house DVR's will have 500GB's of storage. (possibly more.)

A new install of all DVR's is required, because a filter trap has to be installed on the line

There are some concerns:

1.) They have to get the Navigator Guide up to speed on these new boxes.  It is still much slower than it should be.

2.) Have they resolved the signal drop outs and guide slowness with the newer modems/boxes?

3.) I would still give Whole House DVR a three to four month grace period before ordering it to see how testing and roll-out goes.

4,) Will TWC offer a discounted rate for DVR users who order the Whole House Service?

5.) I would NOT expect any DVR's for "Whole House" to be given out for any box swap or exchanges.  These boxes that we are using now will still be around for a long, long, LONG, time.  TWC's marketing strategy will probably be to keep the "Whole House" boxes for Signature Home and Whole House DVR customers.

As a reminder remember:

Signature Home will be like an "All The Best" package with cable, phone, and Internet with the multi-room DVR's and the white glove better techs and installers for the intro price of about $180.00 a month.

Whole House DVR: Will Replace all the DVR's and regular boxes in the home to communicate through one mainframe network allowing each DVR to communicate with each other.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

I have talked to other people in various divisions, and as of now, the Multi-Room DVR's will ONLY be available as a part of the Signature Home Package.  This is a major down-side!

Signature Home still stands with the following features:

Whole House DVR

Road Runner Turbo

Wireless Networking

Unlimited Nationwide Digital Phone (W/Caller ID on TV/PC)  Caller ID on PC I understand will require the installation of AOL's Instant Messenger Software.  That's dumb.  TWC should protocol Caller ID on PC with their existing phone/cable services.

More experienced techs (not independent contractor clowns doing the installs)

Faster appointment times with special phone support numbers for Signature Home Customers.

The service has gotten mixed reviews, and I would wait for a 3-4 month grace period before doing anything to see how it performs in the field.  Right now, I would be paying LESS by keeping my current "All The Best Package" instead of going with Signature Home.

But there are people whole just want the Whole House DVR, and the ONLY way you can get it at this time will be by subscribing to the Signature Home Package.

The service sounds more like a PR thing at this point, and people with whom I have talked that currently get Road Runner Turbo rarely get the speeds as advertised.

Until they get the boxes with a faster Navigator Guide and proof that this is a great value, or the option to break up the services, and say, "I only want Whole House DVR" OK you can get that on an Ala Carte basis.  (You can't break up services now) I think that Signature Home will be a bust.

Jack

klwillis45

Requiring home phone service in today's world is NOT a recipe for success.

Jack 1000

Quote from: klwillis45;56705Requiring home phone service in today's world is NOT a recipe for success.

Agreed,

I give the Signature Home Package 12 months, before TWC will probably break up the services and offer them Ala-Carte.  This is because in today's economy. people aren't going to want to pay a premium price like that.  And there's no Premium Channel Packages in that offer either!

I get a better deal now with my "All The Best" package as it is.

Jack

oz

I just got a brochure in the mail for the Signature Service. The price is $179/month and I pay around $160 now with just one DVD and RoadRunner Turbo.  I would get home phone with this service but I don’t really care about that since we only use our mobile phones.  It says you get up to 2 network DVRs.  HBO is $12 more per month and premium channels after that are about $8.

So if I want HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax like I have now I'll end up paying around $220 after taxes and fees.  What I already pay is too much.

Jack 1000

Quote from: oz;56760I just got a brochure in the mail for the Signature Service. The price is $179/month and I pay around $160 now with just one DVD and RoadRunner Turbo.  I would get home phone with this service but I don't really care about that since we only use our mobile phones.  It says you get up to 2 network DVRs.  HBO is $12 more per month and premium channels after that are about $8.

So if I want HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax like I have now I'll end up paying around $220 after taxes and fees.  What I already pay is too much.

Right,

As it stands now, I am not eligible for Signature Home, because I have only one TV and DVR, but even if I was, you DON'T get ANY premium channels with the price of $179.  Add taxes to that $179 for Signature Home, you are up to $200 or more.

Our Triple Play package now gives us Digital Value Cable Package. (The main thing), DVR, Digital Phone, Road Runner Standard, HBO/Showtime, and the Digital Sports Package for about $185.  We are on the two-year Price Lock program.

So I would be forced to pay about $225-$230 for Signature Home if I wanted that upgrade from my current discounted Triple Play Package, while keeping my premium channels.  Right now, it's not worth it.

For starters, Signature Home should give you ALL the premium channels and packages for $179.  They don't.  Than if I had multiple TV's, I would consider this option.  A good negotiated Price Lock Deal for two years, seems to be a better value than Signature Home at this time.

Just to reaffirm, I have been talking to more people who just want Whole House DVR's without Signature Home, and TWC does not currently let you do that.

Until they break up the sets and offer Price Lock discounts for Signature Home, this may be a bust.

Now, I did hear you could take 1 year of Signature Home with an opt out option in some markets.  Or you can take 2 years of Signature Home with no opt-out option.  But if you have a Price Lock Guarantee with your current level of service, I would probably say no to Signature Home.

Jack

Danno321

Get Tivo or Moxi HD DVR.   The 2-tuner cable card + sdv box is $3.95 or so per month.  No on-demand but then there is Netflix.   Tivo and Moxi Gui's blow away TWC Navigator useful feeatures.  Plus you get extra's like like Weather, News, Youtube, etc.

Tivoman44

I second Danno, no experience with Moxio, but hear it is almost the same as Tivo, the exception is once you buy it, you have it and don't have to pay for service, but the price is much more expensive (probably about the same as Tivo with lifetime).

Did you say $3.25. I pay $2.50 for a M-Card, and the Tuning Adapter is free, you should call them and ask for the lower price.  I asked about having another TA for a second Tivo and they said that would be free as well.

Danno321

Quote from: Tivoman44;56801I second Danno, no experience with Moxio, but hear it is almost the same as Tivo, the exception is once you buy it, you have it and don't have to pay for service, but the price is much more expensive (probably about the same as Tivo with lifetime).

Did you say $3.25. I pay $2.50 for a M-Card, and the Tuning Adapter is free, you should call them and ask for the lower price.  I asked about having another TA for a second Tivo and they said that would be free as well.

My mistake.  I pay $2.50.month for M-card too and TA is "free".   Moxi also has online scheduling and better picture (why?) versus the TWC DVR.

Jack 1000

Here is an excellent review of the great, good, average, and poor aspects of TWC Whole House DVR service.  I don't know if we have it in Milwaukee as a stand-alone version yet, but very soon, customers will be able to have Whole House DVR, without the $200 upgrade to the Premium Signature Home Package. (If we don't have it already.)  Here is the review:

http://stopthecap.com/2011/02/15/reviewing-time-warners-whole-house-dvr-evolutionary-not-revolutionary/

Jack

Rick_EE

Getting it installed today.  A-la-carte.  That is not part of signature home.

popegreg

Curious as to the cost a la carte (charge for the box and the "service")?

Also wondering if you can have a mix of Whole House and a box that is not shared?  I'd like to hang on to my SA 8300HD (w/ external hard drive) but I have 2 other DVR's that I would like to replace with one Whole House.