News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

U-Verse Internet Speed

Started by WIwinger, Friday Apr 20, 2012, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WIwinger

I have U-Verse internet service 6000/1000.

I wanted to check my speed yesterday and I opened speakeasy.com as I have done many times in the past.  This time when I selected a site "i.e. Atlanta or Chicago etc." the speed needle quickly spiked to around 5.3 and in the blink of an eye slowed down to about 1.0 for downloads for the rest of the test.  Then for the upload the needle quickly spiked to 9.3 and then within a split second slowed to 3.0.  The results showed 5.3 and 9.3.  It seems to me that something is wrong because in the past the needle would always hold at roughly what the speed was supposed to be during the complete test.  I checked the speed on three computers, one plugged directly into the residential gateway, one plugged into another router behind the gateway, and one was wireless.  The results were the same.  The needle would always spike and then within a split second slow way down on every test.

Do you think I have a problem with my gateway, or is U-Verse intentionally slowing down the speeds, but spiking the beginning of the results so speed testing software would show a better result?  I also tried with pcpitstop.com with the same results.

Thanks

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: WIwinger;58461Do you think I have a problem with my gateway, or is U-Verse intentionally slowing down the speeds, but spiking the beginning of the results so speed testing software would show a better result?  I also tried with pcpitstop.com with the same results.

No idea, but if you have UVerse via VDSL, (aka from a VRAD cabinet in your neighborhood), the first thing you should do is install UV Realtime and get your baseline stats.  UV Realtime makes it easy.  I can take a stab at it if you post your anonymized (please!)  info, or maybe there's somebody else on this board that is more knowledgeable.  

Otherwise the U-Verse forum on DSLReports is a good resource; you can post there and get responses quickly.  Unfortunately DSLR is down this week due to equipment failure, but it might be worth waiting for its return.  

If you have CO-based U-Verse, aka IP-DSLAM, I am not familiar with that, but you can do some google research, and again, wait for DSLR to return.

murdoc

Someone may want to update your link to speakeasy.net  I went to speakeasy.com and instantly got hit with a trojan.  Thank goodness for realtime virus protection. :mad:

Quote from: WIwinger;58461I have U-Verse internet service 6000/1000.

I wanted to check my speed yesterday and I opened speakeasy.com as I have done many times in the past.  This time when I selected a site "i.e. Atlanta or Chicago etc." the speed needle quickly spiked to around 5.3 and in the blink of an eye slowed down to about 1.0 for downloads for the rest of the test.  Then for the upload the needle quickly spiked to 9.3 and then within a split second slowed to 3.0.  The results showed 5.3 and 9.3.  It seems to me that something is wrong because in the past the needle would always hold at roughly what the speed was supposed to be during the complete test.  I checked the speed on three computers, one plugged directly into the residential gateway, one plugged into another router behind the gateway, and one was wireless.  The results were the same.  The needle would always spike and then within a split second slow way down on every test.

Do you think I have a problem with my gateway, or is U-Verse intentionally slowing down the speeds, but spiking the beginning of the results so speed testing software would show a better result?  I also tried with pcpitstop.com with the same results.

Thanks