News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner - Modem needed for Extreme

Started by ArgMeMatey, Tuesday Mar 01, 2016, 09:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Will a DPC2100r2 cable modem work with Time Warner's Extreme Internet in this market?

I've had the 15 Mbps "Standard" Internet service from Time Warner for years.  I've been doing my annual "retention" calls lately, and today accepted their offer of an upgrade to "Extreme" 30 Mbps for $39.99 per month plus tax.  

I was assured by the retention rep that my old DPC2100r2 cable modem would work with Extreme.  I am loathe to invest in a new cable modem until there's some resolution with the corporate acquisition.  

The new rate goes into effect near the end of this month when my previous program rate expires, so presumably I've got some time to prepare if anybody can answer with experience or knowledge.  Thanks in advance.

duncantuna

The DPC2100r2  is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem .. in theory, they can hit 38 megs down.  That might be with multiple channels, though, so .. who knows.

If I were you, I'd stick with the DPC2100r2 and do some testing.   If you're hitting 30+ then you have no need to upgrade.  If not, you can think about spending $75 on a new modem that'll get you up to the limits.

.. That being said, also to note .. I have 30/5 service from RR as well.  They have a very nice margin, so I routinely get 37/6, sometimes up to 40/6.

ArgMeMatey

Thanks much.  I will leave it all as-is.  

I printed the list of approved modems, and figured if I need to invest, I'd eventually go with a 300 Mbps modem-only.  

There are eight (8) on the list in that category, so if there are any recommendations or links to comparisons, please post.  Thanks again.

Arris/Motorola SB6183
Motorola MB7420
Netgear CM500-100NAS
Netgear CM600
SMC D3CM1604
Technicolor/Thomson/RCA TC4310
Ubee Ambit DDM354
Zoom 5370

kevbeck122

I've been running an SB6141 for over 3 years on the 50Mbps service (get 60+ usually)... still working fine.  If I were to upgrade, I'd just go with the SB6183.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: kevbeck122;60234I've been running an SB6141 for over 3 years on the 50Mbps service (get 60+ usually)... still working fine.  If I were to upgrade, I'd just go with the SB6183.

Thanks.  It would be great to have some idea whether Time Warner in Milwaukee even uses DOCSIS 3.1 - OFDM yet, as opposed to just channel bonding.  If I knew that the CMTS would set up a better connection with the SB6183 than with my old DPC2100, I'd upgrade.  ("Better" meaning, lower latency, higher bandwidth at peak hours.)

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: duncantuna;60232I'd stick with the DPC2100r2 and do some testing.   If you're hitting 30+ then you have no need to upgrade.  
Just got my bill, and it appears that the upgrade was applied at the beginning of March.  I checked the modem log, and it appears it was rebooted via SNMP at the same time.  That surprised me, because on the phone call on the 1st, I was told in no uncertain terms that the change would be applied on the 24th.  

So, today I checked speeds with speedtest.  I connected the computer directly via Ethernet to the cable modem, with no router.  

23.4 Mbps Down
 2.3 Mbps Up

(For some unknown reason I was unable to attach either a .png or .jpg screenshot.)

The speeds are definitely above Standard, but not full-rate Extreme.  

I will re-test, but assuming similar results, it looks like I will have to buy a new modem to get to 30 Mbps down.  

I would really like to know what's going on with the Charter - Time Warner deal and leased v. customer modems before I buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.  Better yet, I'd like to delay buying a new modem until DOCSIS 3.1 is here.  Any prognostication?

duncantuna

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;60238Just got my bill, and it appears that the upgrade was applied at the beginning of March.  I checked the modem log, and it appears it was rebooted via SNMP at the same time.  That surprised me, because on the phone call on the 1st, I was told in no uncertain terms that the change would be applied on the 24th.  

So, today I checked speeds with speedtest.  I connected the computer directly via Ethernet to the cable modem, with no router.  

23.4 Mbps Down
 2.3 Mbps Up

(For some unknown reason I was unable to attach either a .png or .jpg screenshot.)

The speeds are definitely above Standard, but not full-rate Extreme.  

I will re-test, but assuming similar results, it looks like I will have to buy a new modem to get to 30 Mbps down.  

I would really like to know what's going on with the Charter - Time Warner deal and leased v. customer modems before I buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.  Better yet, I'd like to delay buying a new modem until DOCSIS 3.1 is here.  Any prognostication?

Curious to try multiple speed tests and report ...  Speedtest.net is good.

But also try http://speedof.me which is a pretty solid tester as well.

ArgMeMatey

Got the Zoom 5370. activatemymodem did not work.  Had to call by phone, and they took care of it relatively quickly.  Now at 35/5, 12 channels down and 4 channels up.