News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Killer HD DVD Deal! YMMV

Started by SRW1000, Thursday Mar 08, 2007, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

I stopped by American today, to check out their "Garage Sale."  The ad listed an HD DVD player for $239.  I asked the sales guy about it, and he showed me a DVD/VCR combi player.  No, I told him I was looking for the HD DVD player.

He looked around, and found the floor model, which was a Toshiba HD-XA1.  The original MSRP was $800, and the lowest price I've ever seen it was $400, so this is a dang good deal.  A three-year extended warranty was only an additional $20, which I took, since this was a floor model.  There wasn't a manual, power cord, connectors, or box, but I've got a collection of all that stuff anyway.

When he looked in the computer, he said that this was the only one left in the Milwaukee area, but you never know what might be found in one of the other stores (I found this one at the Brown Deer location).

Scott

P.S.  Now that I've bought this player, I thoroughly expect an impending announcement by Toshiba stating they've abandoned the format, conceding victory to Blu Ray.

flash

Quote from: SRW1000;38282P.S.  Now that I've bought this player, I thoroughly expect an impending announcement by Toshiba stating they've abandoned the format, conceding victory to Blu Ray.

Congrats on the new purchase. :Badger

They are still selling the HD DVD add on for the Xbox 360 and sales are still going pretty strong so I wouldn't be too concerned on them abandoning the format any time soon.

gparris

SRW1000: I agree with flash, however, the format has many titles coming out this year alone and Universal/Focus Pictures uses it as its only format for now.

Now, as a upconversion DVD player, you couldn't ask for a better player...congradulations (but I understand your pessimism).:wave:

SRW1000

My comment was meant less to suggest that HD DVD was dead or dying, but just a dry take on the future, since I've committed to the format.

Now, I just have to wait until NetFlix ships out my first HD DVD.

I can't wait!

Scott

gparris

Let me know what the HD-DVD's playable condition was from this service.

Many of my standard DVDs came to me scratched when I used them as a service.
It has been reported that the high def DVDs, BD and HD-DVD, have also been damaged.
Since this can render their smaller disc pits unreadable, more so than standard DVDs, I have my doubts about Netflix or Blockbuster in this regard.

Thank you in advance!

Paul S.

I've gotten a ton of BD and HD DVDs from Netflix amd all have been just fine.

BTW, I think BD is gonna win from what I've seen. I've been far more impressed. Now I just need a reciever thta has HDMI audio stuff....

SRW1000

Quote from: gparris;38302Let me know what the HD-DVD's playable condition was from this service.

Many of my standard DVDs came to me scratched when I used them as a service.
It has been reported that the high def DVDs, BD and HD-DVD, have also been damaged.
Since this can render their smaller disc pits unreadable, more so than standard DVDs, I have my doubts about Netflix or Blockbuster in this regard.

Thank you in advance!
I will do this.  I'm a little worried also, since regular DVDs can often be scratched a few weeks/months after release.

What the heck do people do with these things?  I can't believe the condition of some of the discs we've gotten.  I own quite a few CDs and DVDs, and you'd be hard pressed to find a single mark on anyone that I own.  I treat the NetFlix discs exactly the same, but that's not the case for other people.  I'm surprised that some of them even start to play.

I'll let you know.  Next weekend we should be getting Serenity.

Scott

SRW1000

Quote from: Paul S.;38306BTW, I think BD is gonna win from what I've seen. I've been far more impressed.
So, any idea where I can get a $250 BD player?  :D

Scott

Gregg Lengling

JVC finally owns up and says that BETA is a better format than VHS and stops production of VHS video-recorders!{fart} :stpat

Of course this should have waited til April 1st.....:rof:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

Quote from: Paul S.;38306I've gotten a ton of BD and HD DVDs from Netflix amd all have been just fine.

BTW, I think BD is gonna win from what I've seen. I've been far more impressed. Now I just need a reciever thta has HDMI audio stuff....

Damn it Paul, you are making it very hard to "wait this one out" as I have been saying I was going to do all along.

MUST......RESIST......URGE.......TO.......BUY........

gparris

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;38315JVC finally owns up and says that BETA is a better format than VHS and stops production of VHS video-recorders!{fart} :stpat

Of course this should have waited til April 1st.....:rof:

Or at least moderated that on St. Patty's day - next Saturday...right?

gparris

Quote from: Matt Heebner;38321Damn it Paul, you are making it very hard to "wait this one out" as I have been saying I was going to do all along.

MUST......RESIST......URGE.......TO.......BUY........

If you get your hands on a PS3, the audio, even with an optical digital cable for sound, (tried that first) it is still very good and you get gaming, too.
The PS3 loads very fast, has HDMI 1.3 and Dolby TRUEHD support.

If you have a link to the internet, you can get your latest updates with its port, even on the 20GB model.

I bought the optional PS3 remote and like it better for BD movies than using the game controller.

Paul S:
I use a Denon AVR-4306 with HDMI (one connector does all) and it sounds fantastic with PCM lossless surround sound.:D

flash

Quote from: Paul S.;38306BTW, I think BD is gonna win from what I've seen. I've been far more impressed. Now I just need a reciever thta has HDMI audio stuff....

CLICK HERE for a pretty decent HDMI all in one solution.

My brother picked it up from One Call for a killer deal and is fairly impressed.

sp44again

Quote from: gparris;38327I use a Denon AVR-4306 with HDMI (one connector does all) and it sounds fantastic with PCM lossless surround sound.:D

I'm using a 2807 and yeah the PCM lossless is great with HDMI. I just bought NIN to see how DolbyTrueHD is with the PS3. Unbelievable!

gparris

For another example, I hooked up another HDTV setup with a Panasonic Blu-ray player that has 7.1 analogue outputs,
so far, the only BD player out there that has them to my Denon AVR-3805 with its 7.1 inputs.

The result?

Excellent audio, with a greater presence and surround field on all 8 channels as the AVR becomes an amplifier-only using the decoded audio from the BD player directly.
The BD movie I used was "Blackhawk Down" for its action surround audio effects.
The Denon AVR-3805, without HDMI inputs, sounded just as good as the one which did in comparison.