News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HD DVR's?

Started by murdoc, Monday Oct 11, 2004, 05:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdoc

Looking for a standalone HD DVR.  I do have a D* HD box and would like to record in HD as well but not with the $1200 box.  I saw a Pioneer DVD recorder with a built in hard drive at Best Buy.  Does anyone know if this can record in HD?  The teen in the department didn't have any idea.  I like the idea of being able to record in HD and then burn them to DVD disks.  Thanks in advance for the input.

Jason

summerfun

First, I don't believe you can record HD on that unit. Second, you cannot burn HD onto DVD's.

Mark Strube

Yeah, even if it could record HD to DVD (which it can't), you wouldn't be able to play it on any DVD player.

kjnorman

I think the DirecTV HD Tivo can now be picked up for $900 and if you are a long term subscriber of DirecTV you may be able to get $150-$250 work of credits by calling their retention department and saying you are tempted by the TW HD DVR but would really like to stick with DirecTV but their HD Tivo is just so much, is there anything they could do to help yada yada yada....

YMMV

Personally, it is still too much money for me and I was not able to swing the purchase by my wife, with out risking a divorse..  TV is not worth THAT much to me :D

Kerry

sp44again

I just picked up a HDTivo. CircuitCity had a $100 rebate and 10% off. Then got the credits from D*. Now selling my HD box and Tivo. No extra money out of my pocket.

borghe

the hd tivo can be found for $900 with very little effort. if you are a good long term subscriber with D* you can get $150-250 credited to your account over the next 12 months. it is possible with very little effort to get the price down to as low as $650. If you get other discounts on top of that only better.

two points to note.

if you don't already have the HD package with D*, go to the website and add it. It will be free for the first six months. If you already have it, go to the web site, drop it, then add it again (though you want to make sure you aren't recording anything from it.. :p). It will be free for the next 6 months, even if you already had it.

Channel 58 will be screwed up. There is NO fix for this from Tivo. Basically you tune to channel 58-1 and it will say searching for signal. Tune to 58-2 and it will really be 58-1. This means you CANNOT setup season passes for 58-1 or 58-2. You will have to use manual recordings for those two channels. The guide data will essentially be messed up as well. Unfortunate but that is the situation.

This CAN be fixed through unofficial methods, but REQUIRES your Tivo to be modded (the only cost is a USB Ethernet adapter). Once the Tivo is modded and running TivoWeb, applying the fix is easy and takes less than 3 minutes. The fix fixes both 58-1 and 58-2.

That is all. :)

murdoc

QuoteOriginally posted by borghe
[B}if you don't already have the HD package with D*, go to the website and add it. It will be free for the first six months. If you already have it, go to the web site, drop it, then add it again (though you want to make sure you aren't recording anything from it.. :p). It will be free for the next 6 months, even if you already had it. [/B]

I do already have the HD package for free for 6 months.  I signed up for it about 2 months ago to watch the Packers on ESPN HD.  If I drop the package now and readd the package will I start my 6 months over?

pretzelkid

QuoteOriginally posted by murdoc

Looking for a standalone HD DVR.  I do have a D* HD box and would like to record in HD as well but not with the $1200 box.   Thanks in advance for the input.

Jason

LG makes a couple of boxes that might fit the bill for you. The LST-3410 is a stand alone HD-DVR with an HD tuner/clear Qam tuner/analog cable tuner. It uses a TV Guide interface d/l'ed over the air or cable connection. I have this box and it works pretty well and it beats paying a subscription for guide data and the QAM tuner picks up unscrambled digital cable and on my charter cable I'm getting HD abc, cbs and nbc from either wilw. or madison...kinda a nice bonus eh?

LG also has the LST-3510 with the same tuner stats as the 3410. It substitutes an HD-DVR with an up-convert dvd player. I just noticed it's not a recorder so it might not be what you want.

borghe

QuoteOriginally posted by murdoc
I do already have the HD package for free for 6 months.  I signed up for it about 2 months ago to watch the Packers on ESPN HD.  If I drop the package now and readd the package will I start my 6 months over?
doh.. sorry, no. if you already have the package for free you can't resubscribe for free AFAIK.