News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Y PB PR Input

Started by JamesMLV, Friday Jun 18, 2004, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesMLV

Is it possible to find DVD Recorders, or DVRs with Hard Drives that have component inputs, or for some reason is that impossible?  It would be nice to record our OTA shows in HD.

Thanks for your help.

summerfun

TIVO has HD DVR out now. It cost $999.

TWC is coming out with their HD DVR in a few weeks (hopefully) for rent.

Some people use computers to record their HD onto their hard drives with the correct equipment and software.

HD DVD recording is some time away.

JamesMLV

Its sort of funny how that costs just as much as our TV did.  Thanks for your help.

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesMLV
Its sort of funny how that costs just as much as our TV did.  Thanks for your help.
The TWC is actually a pretty good deal. They only charge $5 per month extra (on top of $7.95 STB rental) for an SD DVR box. It has not been announced yet but the HD DVR box is expected to be about the same.

With TIVO, you have to buy the box and then pay $12.95 per month for the service.

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
With TIVO, you have to buy the box and then pay $12.95 per month for the service.

Ouch!

mrmike

QuoteOriginally posted by StarvingForHDTV
Ouch!

It sounds like a lot, but if you are really a TV/Movie junkie or if you follow obscure-ish sport like rugby or Formula 1 it's worth it's weight in gold for unattending recording and ferreting out stuff you might want to watch.  If you're only talking about a couple prime-time major network shows a week and you just want to watch them on your own schedule it's a different story.  

BTW: The HD TiVo is DirectTV only at the moment, it records OTA but you must have a DTV sub to use it.  According to their last conference call they're working on a CableCard version, but it's prototyped only and no release date was given.

-MM

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmike
It sounds like a lot, but if you are really a TV/Movie junkie or if you follow obscure-ish sport like rugby or Formula 1 it's worth it's weight in gold for unattending recording and ferreting out stuff you might want to watch.  If you're only talking about a couple prime-time major network shows a week and you just want to watch them on your own schedule it's a different story.  

-MM

I suppose most people on this forum watch quite a bit of TV.  There are many days I don't even turn it on.  I guess that's why it seems like a lot to me.  Also why I have a hard time paying for lots of channels grouped together.  I wouldn't make the time to watch enough for it to be worthwhile.  At least to my values.

Starving

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by StarvingForHDTV
There are many days I don't even turn it on.  I guess that's why it seems like a lot to me.
You're exactly the perfect customer for a DVR. I too do not spend a lot of time watching TV, but when I do sit down, I want to watch my favorite shows right then and not be forced to watch what is on TV at that exact time.

I have the programs I like recorded whenever they are on, then I get to watch them on my schedule, commercial free I might add.

kjnorman

Actually this is only for the stand-alone TiVos and only if you opt to pay the monthly fee.  They also do a lifetime fee for $299.  If you have more than one TiVo additional boxes are $6.95.

Now, if you have a DirectTiVo (ie a TiVo through DirecTV) then the monthly fee is $5 regardless of how many boxes you have, unless you have Total Choice Premiere programming in which case the TiVo service is fee.

Kerry

StarvingForHDTV

You're exactly the perfect customer for a DVR. I too do not spend a lot of time watching TV, but when I do sit down, I want to watch my favorite shows right then and not be forced to watch what is on TV at that exact time.

I have the programs I like recorded whenever they are on, then I get to watch them on my schedule, commercial free I might add.

I think the perfect solution for someone like me is to buy individual episodes.  I would happily pay for that.  The DVR sounds like a fun toy, and I know that people who try it get hooked just like crack, so it must be good.  Maybe some day I will pick up the habit.

Starving