News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cbs58

Started by hoophead, Tuesday Aug 10, 2010, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoophead

OK, I will try this here also even tho there does not seem to be much traffic....

Are Dish and WDJT talking anymore about an agreement for Dish to pass on 58 in HD or does it appear to be dead?

gparris

Quote from: hoophead;56012OK, I will try this here also even tho there does not seem to be much traffic....

Are Dish and WDJT talking anymore about an agreement for Dish to pass on 58 in HD or does it appear to be dead?

Dish seems to ignore Wisconsin, IMO, to at least add the more basic of HD locals, including CBSHD and CWHD stations, just like Chicagoland Dish subs enjoy.
Directv has 6 HD locals, including PBSHD here in Wisconsin, Dish seems to care less.

As I prepare to move in the near future and find a place with the ability to do satellite, I was going to look into getting Dish because I liked their HD channel offerings vs. Directv, since I am not into sports channels as others prefer with Directv subs, but since Dish does not offer at least the HD locals as Chicago does for a one-dish-no-outside antenna solution, they lost my interest.:rolleyes:

hoophead

Where do you plan to move?

I have an uhf-only antenna on the roof and used it for 58 HD because of stated Dish problem. I am in between Milwaukee and Madison and since I recently found out Madison's Fox affiliate will switch over to a uhf signal this fall I repointed it towards Madison. That gives me the capability of possibly picking up two separate games on Fox in the fall.

If you are moving to Madison the locals in HD on Dish are CBS along with NBC, ABC, and FOX only. Not CW or PBS.

Another reason to utilize an antenna.

jeaves79

Quote from: hoophead;56012Are Dish and WDJT talking anymore about an agreement for Dish to pass on 58 in HD or does it appear to be dead?

I would assume talks are dead.  Jim Hall dislikes satellite providers showing content in HD (see how long it took before he signed up CBS58 HD with D*).  His only response when asked when CBS 58 will let their HD feed be broadcast on satellite is to either put up an antenna, switch to TWC or wait.  I think if you get to see CBS 58 in HD on Dish before 2012 you will be lucky.

hoophead

Quote from: jeaves79;56121I would assume talks are dead.  Jim Hall dislikes satellite providers showing content in HD (see how long it took before he signed up CBS58 HD with D*).  His only response when asked when CBS 58 will let their HD feed be broadcast on satellite is to either put up an antenna, switch to TWC or wait. I think if you get to see CBS 58 in HD on Dish before 2012 you will be lucky.
I put up an UHF only antenna pointing towards Milwaukee when I got Dish HD and found out, only then, that 58 was not in HD to watch the NFL playoffs coming up. My Dish locals are Milwaukee channels but being in between Milwaukee and Madison I recently found Madison CBS3 passes on more HD than 58 did so I repointed the antenna to the west . Also Madison's Fox47 will be UHF within a month.

So I am good to go. :)

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: jeaves79;56121Jim Hall dislikes satellite providers showing content in HD

... His only response when asked when CBS 58 will let their HD feed be broadcast on satellite is to ... wait.

Just wondering where he said this, and wondering if the context was money or principle.  

And "wait" for what?  If he dislikes HD on satellite, is he saying this will only change when he leaves management?  Or what?

jeaves79

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;56123Just wondering where he said this, and wondering if the context was money or principle.  

And "wait" for what?  If he dislikes HD on satellite, is he saying this will only change when he leaves management?  Or what?

This is the email response I got from him when I was with DirecTV and was trying to get a waiver approved by him.  Waiver was never approved and it took 2 years from that point till DirecTv started showing CBS in HD.  Now i switched to Dish because they are cheaper and i get to deal with CBS not in HD again.

Any antenna that I put up at my house in Kenosha doesn't get a strong enough signal due to trees, so I get to use the wait option.  I am not sure what exactly the wait option is.

gparris

Quote from: jeaves79;56134This is the email response I got from him when I was with DirecTV and was trying to get a waiver approved by him.  Waiver was never approved and it took 2 years from that point till DirecTv started showing CBS in HD.  Now i switched to Dish because they are cheaper and i get to deal with CBS not in HD again.

Any antenna that I put up at my house in Kenosha doesn't get a strong enough signal due to trees, so I get to use the wait option.  I am not sure what exactly the wait option is.

That has always been my concern, too, before I sat in a "valley" so to speak surrounded  by 2-story houses and hills, now its more hills, more trees and weak to no signal. While I like the better selection from Dish vs. Directv for HD channels, the fact that the folks just to the south of me in Illinois get 5 HD locals is annoying and I am blaming Dishnetwork, not CBS58, for not getting its act together and making a deal to get these other 1 (or 2, with CWHD) local network HD stations on Dish.
If Directv can "figure it out", so can Dish, IMO. :rolleyes:
When I (finally) move, I will get Directv only because 6 HD locals are available and maybe by then, Directv will have AMCHD and BBCAHD, among others (that Dish has) will be available by then.

I was at a fair this weekend and told the reps there for both services my thoughts and told them to pass it along (at least I felt better).:blush:

DanDyer

WDJT has an agreement in place with Dishnetwork for them to carry our HD signal as of July.  At this point, we have been told it is on a schedule to be put into the Dishnetwork system, but we do not have a date.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer WDJT/WBME/WMLW/WYTU

brewtownska

Dan, thanks for the update!  Sounds like we need to bug Dish going forward as they are the holdup.  With football season going, hopefully we can get Dish to move this forward sooner than later.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

hoophead

Quote from: jeaves79;56121I would assume talks are dead.  Jim Hall dislikes satellite providers showing content in HD (see how long it took before he signed up CBS58 HD with D*).  His only response when asked when CBS 58 will let their HD feed be broadcast on satellite is to either put up an antenna, switch to TWC or wait.  I think if you get to see CBS 58 in HD on Dish before 2012 you will be lucky.
Ok, between this and the last two posts I want to say at the risk of sounding stupid, are we talking being late for 2010 or are we talking now about July 2011??

gparris

Quote from: DanDyer;56274WDJT has an agreement in place with Dishnetwork for them to carry our HD signal as of July.  At this point, we have been told it is on a schedule to be put into the Dishnetwork system, but we do not have a date.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer WDJT/WBME/WMLW/WYTU

So it is now Dishnetwork that is stalling, great, just great...:bang:

jeaves79

any idea as to who we would call or email ad Dish to bug them?

DanDyer

I have called the people who are supposed to be handling this again, but have received no answer.  I would suggest calling the DishNetwork people, as maybe communication from their customers might get some activity.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer

brewtownska

Not sure if this is related, but I got a call from Dish Network yesterday (not expected) saying they need to come by and install new equipment (for FREE).  Turns out they are moving me from the 61.5 satellite to the 129 satellite (other dish will still point to 110 and 119).  I asked if I'd get any new channels, and they said not necessarily right now, but this is more of something that is planning ahead for the future.

From a few net searches, sounds like most local channel adds are getting put on the 129 satellite, so maybe that's a hangup here as well.  Maybe they don't have bandwidth to add new channels to 61.5 and are holding out until people expected to pick up the new HD locals are successfully moved to the 129.  It's probably more of a hassle if they added the channel then get tons of people calling in saying they can't get the channel because they're pointing to the other satellite.

Has anyone else gone through this change recently?  I'll see if I can get any other details from the installer on Thursday afternoon.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii