News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CW 18 and My 24 studios moving to the far northwest side

Started by tvboy, Wednesday Jun 06, 2012, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvboy

CW 18 WVTV and My 24 WCGV are going to be moving their studios from 35th Street north of Capitol Drive to an office building on a 3 1/2 acre site on Park Place next to the Milwaukee Hilton Garden Inn.  The building was formerlly occupied by Rockwell Automation.  They will have the usual satellite dishes and will have a 150 foot relay tower on the site connectiing to tower on Humboldt.  So far it passed the ZND Committee gave unanimous approval and is expected to get the same at the Common Council meeting later this month.  If everything goes as planned they will start broadcasting from there by the end of 2013.

Jimboy

Quote from: tvboy;58535CW 18 WVTV and My 24 WCGV are going to be moving their studios from 35th Street north of Capitol Drive to an office building on a 3 1/2 acre site on Park Place next to the Milwaukee Hilton Garden Inn.  The building was formerlly occupied by Rockwell Automation.  They will have the usual satellite dishes and will have a 150 foot relay tower on the site connectiing to tower on Humboldt.  So far it passed the ZND Committee gave unanimous approval and is expected to get the same at the Common Council meeting later this month.  If everything goes as planned they will start broadcasting from there by the end of 2013.

You're off by one year.........should be 2012 (if the calendar doesn't end first)

LoadStar

Cool news! I bet it'll be nice to get out of that old building.

Not that I think the Milwaukee area could sustain another newscast, but will there be space set aside for studios... you know... just in case?

Jimboy

Quote from: LoadStar;58537Cool news! I bet it'll be nice to get out of that old building.

Not that I think the Milwaukee area could sustain another newscast, but will there be space set aside for studios... you know... just in case?

Haven't seen the final remodel plans yet.
In the future....the studio is wherever the camera is..........

foxeng

Quote from: jimboy;58538haven't seen the final remodel plans yet.
In the future....the studio is wherever the camera is..........

+1        !

WITI6fan

Quote from: LoadStar;58537Cool news! I bet it'll be nice to get out of that old building.

If they're using the whole building there should probably be enough space for something resembling a studio, though they'd be limited by the height of the building's ceiling (no giant sets, would have to be something like the last WNBC set).

Milwaukee may be able to sustain another newscast, but is it worth the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of dollars to get an operation set up when they'll "really" only be competing against a station with a rapidly deteriorating news product and another that promotes anything involving the number 10? Let's face it, Sinclair didn't bother to let the last operation get very far before they yanked it.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: WITI6fan;58546Milwaukee may be able to sustain another newscast, but is it worth the hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of dollars to get an operation set up

With ratings and ad rates dropping as more people look to the internet, I can see a station owner salivating over the political ad money spent locally in the last year or so, largely during local news, and thinking they want a piece of that.  

But they would have to literally bank on a continuing series of contentious races.  Based on recent history that seems possible, but then again who's got the stomach for it?  

I'm not ready to call station owners satanic, but if anyone has benefited from the acrimony, it's them.  All this ad money is the "HD conversion capital fund".

John L

If I remember right, didn't the studio on 35th & Capitol suffer from some flooding a few summers ago causing some equipment damage???   Hopefully you won't have that problem in the new facility.

-John L.

John L

So has WVTV/WCGV complete their move to the NW side of Milwaukee?

-John L.

Jimboy

Quote from: John L;59052So has WVTV/WCGV complete their move to the NW side of Milwaukee?

-John L.

Not yet.
The fun of turning the building into a TV station begins soon.........