News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Finally! WMLW in HD Coming to TWC! (In March)

Started by Jack 1000, Monday Feb 13, 2012, 01:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Just found this!

On 3/12, WMLW HD joins the lineup on channel 1007. ( Southeast Wisconsin.)

Taken From:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Midwest/support/policies/channelchange.html

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

trev57

Well its about time. The only question now is how much content will actually be in HD.

Will

This may be a silly question, but that means that OTA 41-1 will be upgraded too?  I assume TWC would need to get the signal OTA and re-transmit it.  I sure hope they don't try to cram another HD signal on 58's already too-compressed stream.

PONIES

This sucks... I was hoping for more national HD additions.

What does WMLW air besides a bunch of syndicated/old content?

trev57

Quote from: PONIES;58271This sucks... I was hoping for more national HD additions.

What does WMLW air besides a bunch of syndicated/old content?

Come April, Brewers games.

nwerner

Hopefully Directv picks this up.  The Brewer games on SD are just absolutely brutal.  I got a better picture from my radio.

Jack 1000

Quote from: trev57;58272Come April, Brewers games.

Pretty sure they would pick up sports and other live shows in HD.  It could be why they are doing this, because of the low PQ of Brewers games.  I suspect that a lot of their syndicated content is not in HD.

Jack

trev57

Quote from: Jack 1000;58274Pretty sure they would pick up sports and other live shows in HD.

Jack

I think they also carried the SEC Network during college football season if I remember correctly.

Jack 1000

This planned upgrade goes back to the fall of 2010.  On a Brewers Forum, there was a lot of discussion that WMLW has been anything BUT quality reception:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/23339

One has to question, are we going to see true HD, or upcoverted HD?  How much will be in HD?

Does WMLW have the technology and people behind it to make this work for Wisconsin?  Time will tell.

Jack

mrschimpf

Quote from: Jack 1000;58274Pretty sure they would pick up sports and other live shows in HD.  It could be why they are doing this, because of the low PQ of Brewers games.  I suspect that a lot of their syndicated content is not in HD.

Jack

They've probably pushed further mainly because of the Brewers and WIAA coverage, and that their big get for the year The Big Bang Theory is also in HD (but for now has to have HD promos on 58, but pan-in-scan on 41, which for now is probably embarrassing to them when the show is killing in the syndicated ratings).

Most of their weekend drama and Byron Allen programming is also in HD, but the court shows have been eternally slow to convert to the format on the syndicator's end (they will probably be the last program type in HD, by far, judging from Swift Justice actually moving back to SD, and judging from the...talent on those shows, it's probably merciful they haven't :rof:).

Now I'm just hoping I hear about Charter upgrading WMLW to HD sometime soon so nobody in the market's left behind. In 2012 the WIAA finals should air in the state's largest market in HD.

klwillis45

It will be nice to finally see the Crew in HD on WMLW in something other than MLBN highlights or lookins.  Buh bye screen door SD.

Jack 1000

Quote from: mrschimpf;58290They've probably pushed further mainly because of the Brewers and WIAA coverage, and that their big get for the year The Big Bang Theory is also in HD (but for now has to have HD promos on 58, but pan-in-scan on 41, which for now is probably embarrassing to them when the show is killing in the syndicated ratings).

Most of their weekend drama and Byron Allen programming is also in HD, but the court shows have been eternally slow to convert to the format on the syndicator's end (they will probably be the last program type in HD, by far, judging from Swift Justice actually moving back to SD, and judging from the...talent on those shows, it's probably merciful they haven't :rof:).

Now I'm just hoping I hear about Charter upgrading WMLW to HD sometime soon so nobody in the market's left behind. In 2012 the WIAA finals should air in the state's largest market in HD.

Honestly,

The whole sub-channel thing concerns me.  I think this is one of the first sub channels to get HD, or supposed HD.  The problem is that in terms of reception, Sub-channels are almost ALWAYS sub-standard, because they are feeding of the bandwidth from the main channel, which in this case is CBS 58, or 5 SD/10005HD on TWC.

I am uncertain if just by moving to HD for WMWL that the station is going to have pristine quality HD shows.  They might just do a Turner Classic Movies HD thing, where the screen fills up at 16x9 with better up-converts than the SD channel, but very little if anything on TCM is in actual HD.  However, this may be due to the age of some of the movies and the cost involved in getting them to true HD.  However,  I give credits to them showing films in their original aspect ratios.

I think the ONLY things that we will probably see in "Just OK' HD quality for awhile are going to be Brewers games and other live sports events such as basketball.  Much of WMLW's stuff is syndicated SD content as it is.

Jack

PONIES

I thought WMLW had its own frequency it's been wasting? Channel 13? 41.1?

They've stuck a single SD channel there and wasted all that potential bandwidth, whilst bogging down CBS 58 with multiple subchannels.

Are they really going to try and put WMLW HD on CBS's frequency when they've already got 13?

trev57

This all seems to be coming too little too late. Since FSN saved money from the NBA lockout, they used that to purchase the rights to the 16 Brewers games that would've been broadcasted on WMLW.

REVM1M

Quote from: trev57;58300This all seems to be coming too little too late. Since FSN saved money from the NBA lockout, they used that to purchase the rights to the 16 Brewers games that would've been broadcasted on WMLW.

that is great news.