News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC SE Wisconsin: New Channels and Changes!

Started by Jack 1000, Saturday Oct 01, 2011, 01:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Southeast Wisconsin Legal Notices:

Time Warner Cable’s agreements with programmers to carry their services routinely expire.  We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, and carriage of programming services is discontinued only in rare circumstances. The following agreements with programmers are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services in the near future:  TEN, Current TV, NHL, NHL HD, NHL Center Ice, American Life, BBC America, BBC America HD, E!, E!HD, Encore channels including Action, Drama, Love, Suspense, Family, Westerns and Encore HD, Fuse, Fuse HD, Golf, Golf HD, Sprout,  Retroplex, Starz! channels including Cinema, Edge, In Black, Kids& Family, HD and On Demand, Style, Style HD,  TruTV, WBAY.

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned: On 9/26, History International becomes H2. On 9/27, WCGV 24.2, The Country Network, will join the lineup on channel 988. On 9/29, Photoshow TV will no longer be on 410. On 10/4 HD Theater becomes Velocity. On 10/1, WTMJ 4.3 on 994 changes from Cool TV to Live Well Network. In Oct, WAPA joins Nuestra Tele, OWN HD and Oxygen HD join Standard, YES HD and NESN HD join TWC Sports Pass, Hub HD and GSN HD join Digital Variety, and ShoExtreme HD and Starz Kids & Family HD join the premium lineup. On 10/13, Movies On Demand HD content will no longer be on 501 & 1001, Movies On Demand Thrillers will no longer be on 505, International Movies On Demand will no longer be on 516, and Events On Demand will no longer be on 711.  This content will be in Movies On Demand, channel 500. Adult HD On Demand will move from 714 to 713. On 11/3, Cutting Edge On Demand content moves from 405 to 402, BTN and BTN HD On Demand Content moves to 413, Preschool On Demand moves to 444, HD Showcase will no longer be on channels 450 and 1400, Free Movies On Demand is added to 1400, Entertainment On Demand is added to 1402, Nature & Knowledge is added to 1409, Sports & Fitness will be added to 1413.

The new services listed below will require two-way capable digital cable ready equipment, such as a Time Warner Cable-provided set-top box or a CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Product (UDCP) used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter. Other UDCPs may not be able to access these services without additional equipment, such as a set-top box: ESPN 3D, ESPN Goal Line SD, WAPA, OWN HD, Oxygen HD, YES HD, NESN HD, Hub HD, GSN HD, ShoExtreme HD and Starz Kids & Family HD.

Finally, we are currently involved in discussions regarding the services and/or stations listed below.  While we cannot guarantee that we will reach agreement with the relevant programmers and/or broadcasters, we are listing these services/ stations here in the event that we are able to start carrying them in the future: ESPN 3D.

Taken From:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Wisconsin/learn/programming/legalnotices/legalnoticeSE.html

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

PONIES

This is incredible news. I've missed having OWN in high definition since getting rid of AT&T. When they're not showing Dr. Phil re-runs there's actually some interesting documentaries on that channel, and I think Zach Anner's upcoming show sounds good. I like Lisa Ling's show too.

Oxygen is a channel which AT&T does not carry in high definition. It's okay. There are worse channels. I'd rather have it than not have it.

GSN HD is another exciting addition. AT&T also does not carry this channel but from what I've seen I think it's great. Drew Carey's got a new improv show on this channel so it's about time they added it!

The Hub has a lot of good native HD programming including the new My Little Pony series. The lack of this channel in HD thus far has been a glaring omission from TWC's lineup so it's good they're fixing it.

NESN HD should be good for Red Sox fans, but eh, it's another sports channel.

When this is completed they'll have now ported over a sizable portion of their NYC market's HD channel lineup. Now they just need to bring ReelzChannel HD, the three C-SPANs in HD, Ovation HD, Africa Channel HD, TV Guide Network HD, TV Japan HD and NHK World HD to the SE Wisconsin market. They already have deals in place for these channels and carry them in other areas.

I'm not holding my breath on seeing any channels that Time Warner doesn't currently have deals in place for before 2013. HDNet and NFL Network have been done to death. I can get those elsewhere so I don't really care.

Aside from those two, and perhaps EPIX, NASA TV HD, Sony Movie Channel and Sprout HD, I don't see any glaring omissions in Time Warner's HD lineup. All that's left really are crappy religious channels, 99% upscaled obscure channels, and those worthless "EntertainmentStudios" .TV networks.

Jack 1000

QuoteWhen this is completed they'll have now ported over a sizable portion of their NYC market's HD channel lineup. Now they just need to bring ReelzChannel HD, the three C-SPANs in HD, Ovation HD, Africa Channel HD, TV Guide Network HD, TV Japan HD and NHK World HD to the SE Wisconsin market. They already have deals in place for these channels and carry them in other areas.

I'm not holding my breath on seeing any channels that Time Warner doesn't currently have deals in place for before 2013. HDNet and NFL Network have been done to death. I can get those elsewhere so I don't really care.

Aside from those two, and perhaps EPIX, NASA TV HD, Sony Movie Channel and Sprout HD, I don't see any glaring omissions in Time Warner's HD lineup. All that's left really are crappy religious channels, 99% upscaled obscure channels, and those worthless "EntertainmentStudios" .TV networks.

Yea,

Some good stuff there!  Ponies, do you think GSN will up-convert the classic shows they have like Family Feud and Match Game to HD, or just the new GSN shows?  There is some good HD selections coming out.  I hope SDV, doesn't become a PITA with the blank screens and missing HD channels from time to time during these October-November transitions.

TWC will release the channels in Test Mode, generally about a week before launch.  On Navigator, go to Settings, Favorite Channels, and than punch in any active channel in the 1000's, scroll and you will see a bunch of test stations around the 1800's-1900's range.  When video shows up on the test channel, we are about a week away from launch in the grid.

If you do a Search for for the words  test mode (search for threads) I have a thread that I created a few years ago that should be there.  ("TWC Channels in Test Mode") You can reply within, as test channels get added!  (We should probably just keep this thread for news information)

Speaking of news.  Sources tell me that NFL Network and TWC are still in talks, BUT we may not know until about the first week of November if we are getting the channel or not.  At least it looks like they are really trying this time.

I hate TV Land now for their edited shows and split screens!  I have a feeling that very few programs will be HD if TV Land-HD gets picked up here.

Jack

PONIES

GSN old shows will be SD, likely 4:3.

Their new material like Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza and 1 vs. 100 is native HD.

WAPA is already showing up in the test channels so I hope the rest are not far away. Rosie O'Donnell's new show on OWN debuts on October 10. I would hope they would aim for that deadline.

grenier

The only other channel I'd love to see in HD is The Military Channel.
Cisco 8640HDC

klwillis45

Always nice to get new stuff but they can feel free to undo the Mavtv/HDNet swap anytime now. :)

PONIES

Quote from: grenier;57882The only other channel I'd love to see in HD is The Military Channel.

Military Channel doesn't have a HD version.

PONIES

The following channels are now active, skipping test mode entirely:
OWN HD (1152)
Oxygen HD (1215)
YES HD (1341)
NESN HD (1342)

Time Warner has also properly renamed Discovery HD Theater to Velocity and History International to H2.

GSN HD, Hub HD, Showtime Extreme HD, and Starz Kids & Family have not been added yet.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57896The following channels are now active, skipping test mode entirely:
OWN HD (1152)
Oxygen HD (1215)
YES HD (1341)
NESN HD (1342)

Time Warner has also properly renamed Discovery HD Theater to Velocity and History International to H2.

GSN HD, Hub HD, Showtime Extreme HD, and Starz Kids & Family have not been added yet.

Thanks Ponies!

Jack

PONIES

GSN HD, Starz Kids & Family, and The Hub HD are now in test mode.

1971 SHOXHD
1972 SKFHD
1973 HUBHD
1974 GSNHD

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57941GSN HD, Starz Kids & Family, and The Hub HD are now in test mode.

1971 SHOXHD
1972 SKFHD
1973 HUBHD
1974 GSNHD

1973 and 1974 are just placeholders for me at this time.  I did not check the other two.

Jack

PONIES

Wow, what is going on with these four new HD channels? They are really dragging their feet on adding them. I see they've changed the text to remove the portion noting "in Oct"

It is now:

QuoteIn addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:  The Hub HD and GSN HD will join Digital Variety, and ShoExtreme HD and Starz Kids & Family HD will join the premium lineup.

This tells me they don't think they're going to make their October deadline ;-)

They added OWN HD, Oxygen HD, NESN HD and Yes HD instantaneously earlier this month skipping test mode entirely. I wonder why they're having such problems with this last batch of four.

They've been held as placeholders in test mode for 10 days now.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57976Wow, what is going on with these four new HD channels? They are really dragging their feet on adding them. I see they've changed the text to remove the portion noting "in Oct"

It is now:

This tells me they don't think they're going to make their October deadline ;-)

They added OWN HD, Oxygen HD, NESN HD and Yes HD instantaneously earlier this month skipping test mode entirely. I wonder why they're having such problems with this last batch of four.

They've been held as placeholders in test mode for 10 days now.

They are doing some adds/changes on November 3, so we might see the late October planned channels in regular mode at that time.

Jack

PONIES

All the channels are now live and in their respective slots.

1111   HUBHD
1219   GSNHD
1645   SHOXHD
1680   SKFHD

That makes 16 HD channel additions this year.

Time Warner's HD total for this market is now 116 channels.

Decent, but still needs some work. Time Warner NYC division has over 30 more HD channels than this market. TWC Wisconsin now has more HD than DirecTV, Dish, and especially Charter who've been eyeing up this market for some time. Charter is really awful with small HD counts and bandwidth caps. I hope Time Warner never sells this market off to them. The rest of Wisconsin has it pretty rough under Charter's reign of terror. Milwaukee is an island in a sea of mediocrity.

AT&T still has the most though even though they have HORRIFIC picture quality which is a deal breaker. Their "HD" doesn't really count as HD.

Let's hope the HD additions continue in 2012.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57985All the channels are now live and in their respective slots.

1111   HUBHD
1219   GSNHD
1645   SHOXHD
1680   SKFHD

That makes 16 HD channel additions this year.

Time Warner's HD total for this market is now 116 channels.

Decent, but still needs some work. Time Warner NYC division has over 30 more HD channels than this market. TWC Wisconsin now has more HD than DirecTV, Dish, and especially Charter who've been eyeing up this market for some time. Charter is really awful with small HD counts and bandwidth caps. I hope Time Warner never sells this market off to them. The rest of Wisconsin has it pretty rough under Charter's reign of terror. Milwaukee is an island in a sea of mediocrity.

AT&T still has the most though even though they have HORRIFIC picture quality which is a deal breaker. Their "HD" doesn't really count as HD.

Let's hope the HD additions continue in 2012.

Thanks Ponies!

They "almost" made their deadline.  Don't forget about some of the changes on November 3rd too!  See the link in the first post for details.

Jack