News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Some random HDTV stuff...

Started by Andrew Grall, Friday Jan 23, 2004, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Grall

So, as I mentioned in another thread, my wife and I will be moving back to the Milwaukee area in July...  

We are planning on selling my ISF-calibrated Toshiba 50H81 before we move and then getting a new TV in Milwaukee...Partially because I can't imagine what that many miles on a truck will do the calibration, and partially because I would love to get a new TV.

I am currently leaning toward going either LCoS or DLP for the new TV.  I'll see what prices and availability are like for these when we're moving, as well as features on the different types.  Where in Milwaukee is the best to find a good selection and to get a decent bargain?  Do any of the retailers include a calibration in an extended warranty?

Also, I am thinking about what to do with TV/internet in Milwaukee...  Here in Detroit, I have cable internet and digital cable with HDTV converter for less than $70/month.  I have heard that Time Warner is significantly more expensive... True?  I will also be interested in what is offered for HD-DVR.  So, any thoughts as to whether Time Warner or DirecTV is better for HDTV in Milwaukee?  If I were to go DirecTV, what is the best internet option?  SBC DSL?  Earthlink DSL?  Earthlink cable?  Time Warner cable?  (I have heard Time Warner has an educator's discount which I would qualify for...)

Anyhow, thanks for any insight you can give.  We are really looking forward to moving back to Wisconsin!  :)

Paul S.

As far as I'm concerned, Roadrunner is the best here. I have SBC DSL and it bites ass. I can't wait to go back to RR. As far as the DVR, there isn't an HD one (yet) here. Hope fully someone can help you with the rest of the q's.

Oh, by the way, I was in Detroit a few weeks ago for a Wings game, and boy, that town sucks! Dirty, dingy, and ghetto-ey. We stayed at the Ramada on Bagely and 4th(?) and feared for or white lives lol.

The Law

There are die hard fans here of both Sat and Cable for TV pleasures - so, pick your poison (me, I'm TWC and have no intentions of moving.  Customer Support for me has been great when I've needed - though others have experienced otherwise.  When talking to them - you'll catch more flies with hones ;)

As far as Internet Service Providers go, I've been with Time Warner's Road Runner service for about 3years and could not be happier.  I get 3meg download 385k upload consistently.  I've experienced what I would consider 5-9s service (99.999% uptime).  And when has gone down, the resolution was timely.

Earthlink, AOL, etc. all piggy back on Time Warner's network (AFIK) and there's no savings or performance.  I think I pay $40 or $45 a month for the RR service - well worth it IMHO.

Hope this helps