News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

dvd recorders

Started by Blue-flu Dave, Monday Sep 27, 2004, 10:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue-flu Dave

Any ideas, suggestions for dvd recorders. It's for a gift for someone who  basically recods shows like Survivor and poker shows. Sooo, not really a high end machine, but one that will replace his vcr, and still let him feel like he's got some "new" technology.

Mark Strube

Are you sure you'd want to go with a DVD recorder? The cheapest would be around $200, and that's if you're able to find a good deal. And then this friend would constantly have to be buying DVD's for it if he doesn't want to be using DVD-RW's on it which doesn't work with many DVD players.

I'd go with the Series 2 TiVo. At Circuit City it's $50 after rebates, has SO many more features (guide, season pass, etc), can record up to 40 hours, and is much simpler to use. Here's a link to the deal I found:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/TiVo--Series2--Digital-Video-Recorder--TCD24004A-/sem/rpsm/oid/69130/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

This would record Survivor and poker shows just fine... and then he can also skip commercials and erase it when he doesn't want it anymore. Why anyone would want a DVD recorder over a TiVo is really beyond me (why archive shows like Survivor and poker on DVD?), but perhaps I missed something. :)