News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Maxx Coming to SE Wisconsin

Started by Bebop, Sunday May 15, 2016, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

This forum is having a long sunset. : It is probably my last post here. It has been fun.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Maxx-Upgrades-Come-to-Wisconsin-136924

The date I'm hearing is June 21st.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

Quote from: Bebop;60244This forum is having a long sunset. : It is probably my last post here. It has been fun.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Maxx-Upgrades-Come-to-Wisconsin-136924

The date I'm hearing is June 21st.

"Spectrum," not "Maxx," now that we're about to become Charter. This according to a Charter spokesperson in Albany:
Quote"As we go all digital market by market, we will launch the Spectrum brand product, pricing and packaging, and Charter will also launch Spectrum in those markets in which (Time Warner has) already gone all digital," [Charter spokesman Justin] Venech said. "We will be communicating directly with customers, letting them know when they will start seeing the Spectrum brand. In addition, when our Spectrum packages launch, if a customer likes the package they are currently in, they will be able to stay in that package."
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Goodbye-Time-Warner-Cable-as-Charter-enters-the-7466821.php

In any case, June 21 is the goal for the digital cutover. From what I'm hearing from Time Warner people, they may not be complete with their work by that point, and probably won't have the internal changes ready that are needed to support Maxx/Spectrum.

duncantuna

This is fantastic .. can't wait to downgrade.

Currently have 30/5 service and it is PLENTY for a family of 4, and streaming videos with regularity.  

The 30 will go to 200, which is 7x more than I need.  Maybe 10x.

The lowest tier will go from 15 to 50.  Sign me up.

Ralph Kramden

I currently have Earthlink broadband internet. How will this affect me?

LoadStar

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;60248I currently have Earthlink broadband internet. How will this affect me?

I found this page that answers that:
QuoteWill EarthLink customers see speed increases too?

Yes. If you are an EarthLink Internet customer, your speed will increase up to five times faster. Your EarthLink Broadband plan will become EarthLink Extreme with speed up to 50x5 Mbps (download x upload speed). Your EarthLink Cable Max plan will become EarthLink Ultimate with speed up to 100x10 Mbps (download x upload speed).

Ralph Kramden

Bebop

Quote from: LoadStar;60245"Spectrum," not "Maxx," now that we're about to become Charter. This according to a Charter spokesperson in Albany:

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Goodbye-Time-Warner-Cable-as-Charter-enters-the-7466821.php

In any case, June 21 is the goal for the digital cutover. From what I'm hearing from Time Warner people, they may not be complete with their work by that point, and probably won't have the internal changes ready that are needed to support Maxx/Spectrum.

I also doubted 21st will be the date. They have slowly increased the bonding channels to 12 right now. We'll need 16 channels for Maxx/Spectrum.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Quote from: duncantuna;60247This is fantastic .. can't wait to downgrade.

Currently have 30/5 service and it is PLENTY for a family of 4, and streaming videos with regularity.  

The 30 will go to 200, which is 7x more than I need.  Maybe 10x.

The lowest tier will go from 15 to 50.  Sign me up.

The saving will only be a short term. Someone will need to pay for the debts incurred from the take over. :(

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Jack 1000

Do you think the City of Brookfield will be a part of this speed boost due to Milwaukee and Waukesha getting the Internet upgrade?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

duncantuna

Quote from: Bebop;60254The saving will only be a short term. Someone will need to pay for the debts incurred from the take over. :(

What?  Cable rates going up in the future?  That's unpossible.

LoadStar

Quote from: Jack 1000;60255Do you think the City of Brookfield will be a part of this speed boost due to Milwaukee and Waukesha getting the Internet upgrade?

Jack

I would expect this to affect most if not all of the footprint in SE Wisconsin. I've seen new aerial fiber being pulled along Barker Rd. in the town of Brookfield, and I'm pretty certain it's Time Warner Cable's.

duncantuna

So .. I cut the cord today.  Some items from my saga-

My TWC bill was $140, and they jacked it to $180, the final straw.  

I called to terminate all TV services, and they quoted me a $90 rate for 30/5 internet, or $70 for 20/5.   Of course, the rates they give new customers are roughly half that.

So I called Earthlink, who uses TWC's coax.  Got their 15/1 service for $30 (for 6 months, then $42).  

Interestingly, I use a voip provider, and while I was talking to Earthlink (on voip) they flipped service from TWC to Earthlink, which rebooted by cable modem .. my voip call went dead -- but when the cable modem finished rebooting .. the call was still active!  Crazy.

I went with Playstation Vue's streaming package, which is $30/month.

So .. I was paying $180 .. now will pay $60 for the next 6 months, then $72.

klwillis45

A Vue ?: Do you get FSNN/WI or, more specifically, Brewers games?

My parents recently went the same route & they live in SW WI but did not get FSNN/WI. They got CSN Chicago & Cubs/Sox stuff. They also signed up for CBS All Access since CBS is totally absent from Vue.

duncantuna

Looks like Vue does not have regional Fox Sports, like WI.  It does have FSports1 and 2, though.  True, I do think they occasionally add "local" channels, which FSWI might be considered.

Welp, I only watched Brewers games when I just happened to flip through, so no big loss for me.

Here's their standard lineup:

http://streamingtvguides.com/default.aspx

MrProster

re:FSWI , Slingtv has recently added regional sports channels for an additional $5 a month I believe. Just as long as Charter doesn't impose a data cap , seems like a great deal.