News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Could cable lose its grip on TV business?

Started by RLJSlick, Thursday Feb 04, 2010, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

ArgMeMatey

Thanks for the article.  

Cable may be profitable right now, but if they truly wanted to be liked, here's what they could do:

1.  Put one decryption device in my house that puts out nothing but Clear QAM to as many TVs as I want.  

2.  Provide access to as many (or as few) satellite and local programs as I want on a packaged, a la carte or pay-per-view basis.

3.  Provide direct access to internet video via their broadband or Ethernet.  

4.  Give me an interface so I can control all this stuff from a web browser in addition to on-screen.  

Those things are technologically possible, but they choose not to do them.  Until they open up a bit, they'll have to be satisfied being disliked and profitable.  :)

RLJSlick

I would be happy if Cable would go A la carte like customers been requesting for 10 years now!  I have 200 channels and watch 15!
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

ddeerrff

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;547751.  Put one decryption device in my house that puts out nothing but Clear QAM to as many TVs as I want.  

I'll second that one.  I *HATE* the idea of a STB.  I spend good money on a TV set that has it's own built-in NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuners.  It contains video processing circuitry that was well engineered and does an excellent job of converting various formats into the signal required to display on the screen.  I like the remote control that came with the TV and it provides me with access to all the functions I need.  

Why relegate all that to some vendor selected STB and be stuck with a remote control that is less than ideal?  

Provide me with the channels I've subscribed to in a format that the TV can handle on it's own and I'd jump at upgrading.  For now, I'll stick with the good ol' analog service (2-99) with the clear QAM locals.

oz

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;54775Thanks for the article.  

1.  Put one decryption device in my house that puts out nothing but Clear QAM to as many TVs as I want.  

I like this idea and haven't heard it before.

tencom

Why is it the cable companies, always blamed fior lack 0f A la carte choices in cable  programing. When it is oppossed by the program providers  like CBS, ABC, NBC, AND FOX which owns a great percentage, of the cable networks that requires their cable networks to have many of their cable  channels available, to every subscriber.
It would require goverment action, to have A La Carte options to the viewers. And if A La Carte options became available you would probably see the cable programers charge more to the cable  providers and would pass the increased cost to the subscribers. Because of lost revenue from less viewers and would most likely not lower the cost of cable, but offer fewer channels.

tencom

Quote from: ddeerrff;54782I'll second that one.  I *HATE* the idea of a STB.  I spend good money on a TV set that has it's own built-in NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuners.  It contains video processing circuitry that was well engineered and does an excellent job of converting various formats into the signal required to display on the screen.  I like the remote control that came with the TV and it provides me with access to all the functions I need.  

Why relegate all that to some vendor selected STB and be stuck with a remote control that is less than ideal?  

Provide me with the channels I've subscribed to in a format that the TV can handle on it's own and I'd jump at upgrading.  For now, I'll stick with the good ol' analog service (2-99) with the clear QAM locals.

Your calling for a task that would be diffucult to implement because of the complexity that is involved. It sounds simple but not easy, to carry out.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: tencom;54788It sounds simple but not easy, to carry out.

Why?  

OK, that's too short for posting, so let me ask again:  Why?

RLJSlick

Nah not blaming them but the article is about Cable TV, I blame DirecTV and Dish just as much.

Quote from: tencom;54787Why is it the cable companies, always blamed fior lack 0f A la carte choices in cable  programing. When it is oppossed by the program providers  like CBS, ABC, NBC, AND FOX which owns a great percentage, of the cable networks that requires their cable networks to have many of their cable  channels available, to every subscriber.
It would require goverment action, to have A La Carte options to the viewers. And if A La Carte options became available you would probably see the cable programers charge more to the cable  providers and would pass the increased cost to the subscribers. Because of lost revenue from less viewers and would most likely not lower the cost of cable, but offer fewer channels.
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD