News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Samsung HD DVR

Started by Bigdog, Monday Nov 08, 2010, 05:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigdog

My neighbor just got one of these (first time having a box) and was wondering what's everyone opinion on it compared the the SA 8300 units (which we have and have lots of issues)

gparris

Do you have the 8300HDC unit? I have a 8300HD which behaves rather nicely and a 8300HDC that is so slow that I can take almost take a break between remote control button pushing...ugh. :bang:

The Samsung DVR units I know nothing about, but I have Samsung HDTVs, (so far so good), but the issues I had with their BD players were so bad I went back to  buying Panasonic BD players.
Samsung cell phones continue to have issues in my family vs the other brands we have used in the past, I can't believe its the carrier because the other mfg phones work better and these are all the same year models.
Samsung is a big company, so as far as electronics go, it's a gamble, maybe their DVRs are better than their BD players and cell phones (from my experience). ;)

klwillis45

Any chance the Samsung's have bigger hard drives?

Jack 1000

The Samsungs are super fast with the TWC Navigator software.  They run the same versions as the ODN (C-boxes) of Navigator.  Some have reported other issues with the Samsung boxes, but from what I have heard, the people that I know, with Samsung boxes, have not had issues.

The older legacy DVR's (Non-C) are second fastest, as long as you have an SA-8240 or an SA-8300.  Non-DVR users should have any Samsung box, or a SA/Cisco series 4000 model for best speed.

The new SA/Cisco 8600 DVR series are still much slower than they should be.  A recent software update to the boxes, Navigator 4.0.24 created some divisions with added speed boosts (not us), some divisions that stayed the same, (us), and some divisions with slower boxes, (Rome, New York.)

For the DVR's, try to get either a Samsung or an SA-8240 to SA-8300 (no C) for best speed.  Yes, the Samsung DVR's have 320 MB hard drives.  The older non-C DVR's have 160MB, BUT a drive expander can be added for extra storage.  Western Digital is the E-SATA drive of choice.  Note however, that although the Samsung has bigger drive storage, the Samsungs and C-boxes, generally will NOT work with external drives

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Bigdog

Thanks for all the info on the Samsung boxes.  Right now we have 2 8300HDC boxes and have had lots of problems with them, (stuttering audio, color flashes, etc.)  I may try to get them swapped out for Samsung ones then being they have bigger HDs as well.  I tried to use and eSATA drive on one of these "C" units and couldn't get it to work with it either.

Interesting post about Samsung BD player, as I was helping that same neighbor hook up his (to his router) and I thought it looked pretty good and was thinking about picking up one myself.

klwillis45

Quote from: Jack 1000;56555Yes, the Samsung DVR's have 320 MB hard drives.  Jack
Yikes, are they running Windows 3.1? ;)

Kidding aside, thanks for the info.

Jack 1000

Quote from: klwillis45;56558Yikes, are they running Windows 3.1? ;)

Kidding aside, thanks for the info.

Hahahahaha!!!! Typo!!!  That should say, 320GB hard drive!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Sidewinder

We have a Time Warner Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC Box which stutters, freezes and pixalizes at nearly almost every inopportune moment.    Packer Super Bowl- unwatchable on 1061, ESPN - forget it, Oscars tonight - wife is resigned to watching that nonsense on 13" SD in the kitchen because the picture is so pathetic.  

So the question is, when I take this to the TW Store at Mayfair (or to the frightening bulletproofed window late-payment exchange store on MLK) what box will I end up with?    I want to be able to use the 1TB eSata extension drive which I will remove from the 8300 HDC.    (And no, it isn't that drive which is causing the stuttering, I can disconnect it and the result is unchanged.  Also the other 8300HDC DVR in the bedroom with a 1TB extender is 100% perfect, never misses a beat.)

It sounds like the Samsung Boxes are quicker but is it true they don't allow for an external drive?    That's bad.      What would I likely get from my "friends" at TWC if I take this one back?  What boxes allow the eSata extension?  Your expert opinion/advice is appreciated.   We have been struggling with this box since 2008 but it has to go, it is no longer watchable, as much as I hate to lose the 100 programs on the hard drive.

Xizer

You can demand a Samsung box. I think it's one of the few models they offer with a Firewire port, which they are required to offer to customers if they request it.

ddeerrff

Are you sure it's the box or is it perhaps low signal levels?  Does channel 1900 give you the diagnostics screen on that box?  If so, what does it show for FDC and RDC levels?

Sidewinder

Quote from: ddeerrff;57076Are you sure it's the box or is it perhaps low signal levels?  Does channel 1900 give you the diagnostics screen on that box?  If so, what does it show for FDC and RDC levels?

I ran Diags on the Living Room 8300 HDC and got:

RDC = 41, FDC = 9

This is for the box which has always been troublesome (although tonight, of course, while awaiting the hiccups it is just fine).
>>>>>
By comparison, my other 8300 HDC Box in the Bedroom reads:

RDC = 40, FDC = 10

This second box has run flawlessly for years.  

I certainly have considered whether or not it was a 'low signal' situation in the living room, and actually replaced the entire Coax, with the highest grade possible, about 4 months back.   A straight shot to the main Time Warner block.    No real effect one way or another, but something I then ruled out.   If I hook it up to the Cable In on the back of the TV it is crystal - I understand that does not compare to the bi-directional full digital signal, but still, no herringbone or fuzziness to be seen.   If this was 1998 it would look great on the 26" SDTV.  

So is 40,10 a decent signal in both directions?  I don't know.  What has your experience been?    I will continue to check Ch 1900 for a few days, particularly if/when I start seeing pixalization.

Thx:stpat

ddeerrff

Yes, those should be good numbers.  The FDC number might actually be a little hot.  Probably won't help, but you could try adding a 3 - 6 dB attenuator in line.  A two way splitter with one of the outputs dummy loaded works well as a 3 dB pad.

Sidewinder

Quote from: ddeerrff;57078Yes, those should be good numbers.  The FDC number might actually be a little hot.  Probably won't help, but you could try adding a 3 - 6 dB attenuator in line.  A two way splitter with one of the outputs dummy loaded works well as a 3 dB pad.

Thanks for the insight.   I have an attenuator somewhere else in the line, let me reconfigure and try that.

I have seen a number of "acceptable" FDC and RDC ranges listed, but what would be considered a bullsye for those numbers?

ddeerrff

I'm not an expert source on that, but I believe that for FDC, the box itself is spec'd at +/- 15 dBmV, but TWC wants to see it between +/- 10 dBmV.  

RDC between +38 and +53 are OK, but keeping it under +50 is better.