News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

make your own free-to-air program

Started by uplinkguy, Monday Jul 25, 2005, 10:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplinkguy

Do-it-yourself TV microcasting via satellite

FROM BROADCAST ENGINEERING

Jul 21, 2005 5:31 PM
Beyond The Headlines e-newsletter

E-mail this article

UonTV, a San Diego-based start-up, last week announced a new microcasting satellite TV service that enables anyone to digitally broadcast TV programs across North America for as little as $20 per half hour.

The program distribution service, which can be received by viewers equipped with free-to-air (FTA) satellite receivers, is targeted toward small businesses, churches, organizations, sports leagues and consumers. Reception does not require a fee or subscription. Rates for a half hour transmission range from $20 for late night to $120 for prime time.

UonTV transmits digitally via the Intelsat Americas 5 satellite covering all of North America, Alaska, Hawaii and the Caribbean. The signal can be received with a sub-$200 FTA satellite set-top receiver and 30-inch mini dish.

At least 6 million North American viewers are currently equipped to receive programming via FTA and as many as 2 million new FTA receivers were sold last year in the United States.

With UonTV, independent producers can shoot video using DV camcorders, edit shows on a PC, and upload the completed file to the company's server (//www.uontv.com) for broadcasting. UonTV said it uses MPEG-2 compression and will encode video for its customers.

Back to the top

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: uplinkguyDo-it-yourself TV microcasting via satellite

FROM With UonTV, independent producers can shoot video using DV camcorders, edit shows on a PC, and upload the completed file to the company's server (//www.uontv.com) for broadcasting. UonTV said it uses MPEG-2 compression and will encode video for its customers.

Back to the top

I sure hope they have a whole group of censors to go over the material before it's aired.....some crazy nuts are going to try to pay to have some wierd stuff aired.  

Other than that...it's pretty neat.....If I had something to get on a soapbox about I'd spend the money for grins...... :co1:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

tazman

I read about this last week on another forum I belong to.  Sounds pretty intersting.  $20 per half hour is for the weee hours of the morning.  Primtime is up around $100 to $120 per half hour.

Here's a link to their forum.  //www.hawaii411.net/uontv  .  You can pretty much find out whats going on with it there. :)

tazman

They have some sort of amature boxing on right now.  Looks like it's setup in some little league field.

tazman

I've been checking in on that channel now for about a week.  That 1 half hour block that you purchase must be for that time slot for a number of days.  Unless the people at UonTV are repeating programming untill more material is submited.  Been watching a home video that must have been done out west somewhere.  It was on these rock climbing 4 wheel drive Baja dune buggy type vehicles.  It was pretty interesting. :)