News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Is MyNetTV close to death? Good news for WCGV?

Started by PaulKTF, Monday Feb 23, 2009, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

My Network TV in an Overhaul

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/business/media/10mynetwork.html?ref=business

Tick-tock, tick-tock... I give them about a year before MyNetworkTV is history, and WCGV goes all-syndication 24/7. I can't stand the MyNetTV branding, so I'll be glad to see that.
-Paul

John L

I heard that MyNet will be cutting back programming, especially all Saturday night programming will cease with the new fall schedule.  I believe MyNet bought the rights to reruns of "Law & Order".

Should MyNet stop broadcasting and WCGV goes back to indie I hope they get some HD playback equipment so they can air stuff in HD.

-John L.

LoadStar

The question is: which will go away first, CW or MyNet... and how long before BOTH go? And what will WCGV/WVTV do if both go away?

I frankly don't think the syndicated market is strong enough to support two full-power stations in this market. The days of well-made programs like "Star Trek: TNG" in first-run syndication are long dead.

PaulKTF

Quote from: LoadStar;50968The question is: which will go away first, CW or MyNet... and how long before BOTH go? And what will WCGV/WVTV do if both go away?

I frankly don't think the syndicated market is strong enough to support two full-power stations in this market. The days of well-made programs like "Star Trek: TNG" in first-run syndication are long dead.

MyNET will go first- probably by the third quarter of this year. It's a dead brand, it just doesn't seem to know it yet.

The CW is actually doing (fairly) well by comparison. There's plenty of cheap syndicated programing available to support both stations. If both MyNet and CW die, Sinclair will simply revert 18 and 24 to their previous states of airing all syndicated programing and infomercials.

I would vastly prefer any "new" old syndicated programing to any of the MyNet or CW shows, so I'm rooting strongly for them both to just go under.
-Paul

John L

Quote from: PaulKTF;50970If both MyNet and CW die, Sinclair will simply revert 18 and 24 to their previous states of airing all syndicated programing and infomercials.

I am sure they could find a Home Shopping Network channel broadcasting in HD!:rolleyes:

-John L.

PaulKTF

Quote from: John L;50971I am sure they could find a Home Shopping Network channel broadcasting in HD!:rolleyes:

-John L.

At that point; they'll be airing anything they can get their hands on, HD or not.
-Paul

John L

Quote from: PaulKTF;50974At that point; they'll be airing anything they can get their hands on, HD or not.

The fact they can transmit in HD as they do now with The CW and MyNet, I'd hate to see them go SD and lose the HD screen.  To become a full fledge Indie again I do hope they purchase equipment whether tape, DVD or Digital Storage Library to broadcast from have the capability to do HD.  There are some great movie packages out there even old movies in Cinemascope that can be aired in Wide Screen or HD.

-John L.