News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Gemstar's TV Guide On Screen

Started by cjucoder, Wednesday Jan 19, 2005, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjucoder

I am curious about the scheduling/guide system my DVR uses called "TV Guide On Screen".  When the box is powered off it periodically collects the guide data over the air (not via modem or internet). Their web site is mostly just an overview, but in other forums I have read that it is usually the local analog PBS station that carries this guide.

Anyone know which station in Milwaukee carries this guide?  Is Gemstar (the parent company) responsible for collecting the listings from each station, or is each station responsible for supplying the data to Gemstar?

TIA !

Jimboy

We have the Gemstar encoder here at WCGV.  Gemstar does all of the updating, all we do is put the signal in our path.

Gregg Lengling

Jimmy could you explain how the data is sent out.  Is this happening all the time or only during certain hours.  I was looking into the Toshibas with this feature and they mention that you need to have the TV off and plugged in overnight to receive the guide.

TIA
 :OnAir:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Jimboy

Quote from: Gregg LenglingJimmy could you explain how the data is sent out.  Is this happening all the time or only during certain hours.  I was looking into the Toshibas with this feature and they mention that you need to have the TV off and plugged in overnight to receive the guide.

TIA
 :OnAir:

Data is sent out 24/7 on line 17 of the vertical interval. The data contains not only guide information but advertising logos, all of which takes a while to get into the sets memory.