News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

JVC HD-ILA v Sony 50" LCD rear projector

Started by Scott, Sunday Aug 15, 2004, 09:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Guys, I am helping a relative is looking for a new TV.  Wants to get TimeWarner HD but also watch's a lot of basic cable (CNN, FOXnews, MSBNC, ESPN, etc.)  Went to Best Buy and narrowed the choices to:

Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD rear projection

JVC 52" HD -ILA rear projection.

Does anyone here have opinions on these sets?

Is there a better set out there that people recommend?

Should we be concerned that the JVC apparently does not have a DVI input and only supports 720p?

Please consider providing any input that you might have.  Thank you.

StarvingForHDTV

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott
Should we be concerned that the JVC apparently does not have a DVI input and only supports 720p?

Please consider providing any input that you might have.  Thank you.

I wouldn't be concerned with the 720p only support.  I think all set top boxes can convert everything to that resolution.  I'm guessing it accepts 480p for DVD as well.

Lack of DVI should not too big of a deal if there are enough component video inputs.

I have never seen either TV, so I can't comment on them.  I would highly recommend using the AVS Forum as a guide for purchasing.  Those electronic wizards figure out the goods and the bads very well, IMHO.

I wouldn't put much faith in anything a Best Buy employee tells you.

Good luck.

Racer47

I'll second the recommendation to read AVS forum. Everything you need to know is there, it just takes a while to sift through it all.

After many hours of AVS forum reading, my first choice is the Samsung DLP. It has DVI which I think is a necessity. There is a power buy going on right now for the Samsung, JVC and others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=63

How does the power buy price for the JVC compare to Best Buy and other stores you've been to?

summerfun

I have the 60" Grand Wega and could not be happier. I would not get a set without DVI. As it is not required today, the trend is heading that way.

I believe the new Grand Wega, just being released also has the HDMI port which is the next generation. I have that on my 30" Sony. Like the DVI, I am not using HDMI port today, but down the road, DVI/HDMI might be your only choice. You will be glad your set has them.

Scott

I would not trust the Best Buy info.  Thats why I am grateful to you guys on this board.  

I think the JVC was about $3,400 and the Sony was about $2,950.  

The JVC seemed to have a much more colorful picture, although the Sony had better definition.  The Best Buy guy was really talking up the JVC HD-ILA as a new set and new technology and pushing that one.  Although that one may be where they have the best margins as well.

I just was concerned with no DVI port.