News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Harley 100 Coverage On The Locals

Started by Kevin Arnold, Saturday Aug 30, 2003, 08:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Arnold

Interesting to see how the local stations are covering the Harley 100th.  So far Fox6 owns the coverage as of Sat. morning. This is where having local news on the weekend really makes a difference. Fox 6 must have every mobile unit and every reporter working today.  Even the chopper is providing useful pictures.
WISN 12 is next but the fall off in coverage is dramatic. Less remotes, less coverage. WTMJ 4 is covering on their regularly scheduled news so that means nothing till 5pm when it's all over. WDJT 58 has limited mobile facilities and will have nothing till 10pm tonight. They're MIA on most of this.  WB18 won't have anything until Monday night at 9 - kind of like our own local History Channel.
I know this isn't earth shattering news but there is absolutley nothing else happening this weekend in Beertown and this kind of coverage is fun. Just interesting to see the various approaches to coverage.
Kevin Arnold

gparris

I think the coverage has been great for the Harley Davidson events going on and, afterall, this IS Milwaukee Television.
They don't have to be focused on global and national news if they don't want to, as media in Milwaukee has always been many notches lower in jounalistic delivery than say, Minneapolis or Chicago.
I have had several family members (not from the Canadian side) that have worked in front and back of the camera, so to speak, in this town and have they had always noted the "feel" of lower standards in reporting and delivery than some of the larger populated metro areas in this country they worked in later on.
So when they forget to report news OUTSIDE of "Harleyland", it is coming from what is perceived what Milwaukeans will find watchable and sells advertising.
Being half Canadian and someone who calls Australia his "other country"(afterall being first, an American), I felt a concern that the mess in London was not covered, at least for a minute.

You were right. If there weren't "hogs" trapped in the underground, it wasn't newsworthy. :rolleyes:

Tom Snyder

I find it curious that Fox 6 couldn't (actually wouldn't) cover the circus parade this year, but IS able to do the Harley parade...
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

The Law

Local news really blows.   It is cheesy.  The musical entrances add credence to the idea that they're simply entertainment shows.  The commercials!  It's ridiculous to me to have to advsertise the news.  It is insulting to people's intelligence to ask teaser questions like:

"This playground slide...could it kill your child?  Team On The Spot Force 10 from Navarone reports tonight at five"

The fancy names for radar equipments, helicopters and sports analysis.

Again, they seek only to entertain, not to report news (unless, of course, there is some kind of bandwagon to jump on).

Not to mention the fact that the roving reporters are "encouraged" to get the interview with the grieving widow (especially if they can get shots of them crying).

And what about the weather "team" getting all golly gee wiz evey time the temp hits 90 in august (as it does every bloody year) or we expect 5 inches of snow in the middle of february...quick get the SUV with the stickers out and get a camera shot of a freeway interchange with some pictures of some poor chick freezing her (albeit, cute) tush off while snow is blowing all over the place...it's not as though it don't snow 'round here either.

Sorry....I don't watch these slicked up, cheeseball, insulting productions and wastes of airspace any more

/end rant....carry on :p