News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

$50 digital converter?

Started by wysiwyg, Wednesday Sep 13, 2006, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wysiwyg

I'm interested in viewing digital (not HD) OTA stations on my analog TV. There was legislation (not sure if it passed) to provide everyone with a $50 converter when the deadline for digital transition occurs. I'm interested in buying one now! Does this $50 converter currently exist? It seems that all the converters available right now are over $200. Any help would be appreciated.

RJRobb

Don't know of any OTA DT converter for $50 yet!  Generally OTA DT is HD and/or multi-channel however a widescreen/HDTV is not required to use/view them.  All the boxes I've seen have s-video and composite connections which are an analog connection. The current tuners also allow multiple aspect ratios 16:9, 4:3, letterbox and/or pan&scan viewing.

waterhead

If you don't mind using a PC for watching HDTV, here is a card for $40:

Air2PC ATSC PCI card

This is an older version of the card. The newer ones are suppose to be better (and more expensive).
I just got two of them. I have one working on my PC running WinXP SP1. They have provided me with BDA drivers so the card can be used with Windows Media Center and applications like BeyondTV and MediaPortal. I have yet to get that driver to work (it's only been one day).
I'm going to try the other on a Linux box with MythTV.

To output to a TV, you need a video card with S-Video output. And, of course, a tv with S-Video input.
I've done this with other capture/video cards, but not yet with this one.

wysiwyg

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to use a converter on a TV not near a computer. What is the cheapest OTA converter available? Are there any that do NOT include HDTV conversion? Like a digital cable box, but for OTA instead.

Mark Strube

Quote from: wysiwygThere was legislation (not sure if it passed) to provide everyone with a $50 converter when the deadline for digital transition occurs.

That won't be available until the switch is made to all-digital television... which won't be until 2009. (Also, on a personal note... never trust the government to do what they say they will - even if it's in legislation. Not trying to get political here, just saying don't put all your eggs in the beurocratic basket.)

Radio Shack used to have an OTA receiver that did HD and SD for around $100. I haven't seen too many deals beyond that, unless you want to take a risk on buying an old VOOM box off of eBay... just be very careful the box is "activated," and that the user has a lot of good feedback. (100+ at least, preferrably good feedback from selling other VOOM boxes.)

StarvingForHDTV

Any OTA box should work fine for you.  There should be plenty of used OTA set top boxes on eBay to purchase.  You can avoid the DirecTV, Dish Network, and Voom boxes if you are worried about activation issues.  Get a OTA only box.  Good luck.

kevbeck122

You can probably buy a cheap USDTV (DB-2010) receiver somewhere.  I'm not sure if Walmart carries them anymore, but I thought they were $100 new, maybe cheaper.  Check ebay, you might find a cheap one there.

Racer47

Used Samsung SIR-T151's are selling for $50-$100 on ebay. They work well and will do what you need.

wysiwyg

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for!!!