News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Ack.. am I a traitor???

Started by Tom Snyder, Tuesday May 25, 2004, 11:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

I had to talk to TWC customer service today about a lost bill, and while I was on the phone with them, I put my name on the waiting list for an HD DVR!

Please don't hate me. :rolleyes:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

gparris

Why should you be a traitor?

Many forum members like me subscribe to TWC and some may even do both satellite, OTA and Cable (I did sat and cable before).

HD DVR from TWC will eventually arrive once the bugs come out and since many of us cannot afford to cough up a grand for an HD Tivo, it presents an opportunity for HD recording. Thank you.
:)

summerfun

That's great. I sure don't think you need to apologize. I fail to see why there is so much "hate speech" around TWC. We have had this conversation before. They are a very good company, they offer a great service and I couldn't be a happier customer.

I know some people have express issues around poor service, but any company can have bad employees and no company is perfect. I personally have never had a problem. They have been more than professional and helpful every time I need to work with them.

They have 15 HD channels, all the local channels both SD and HD, hundreds of digital channels, VOD (video on demand), PPV (pay per view), high speed internet, DVR (digital video recorder) and 99 analog channels for all the extra TVs in the home with no STB box required. All of this and never any upfront purchase cost.

Unless you live in an area that seems to have some old equipment that has a lot of down time, which I don't, I can't see one reason not to have TWC. No purchase required, not antennas required, no OTA signal strength issues to deal with, it just seems like the perfect solution. I know we are still waiting on HD DVR and ESPN HD, but when my HD DVR comes, I won't have to shell out $1,000.

This is not intended to start another string of hate mail post, just my opinion for what it's worth. I have nothing against Satellite, but for me, TWC is the best choice.

borghe

I tried not to, but I still hate you.. :p

as for summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
That's great. I sure don't think you need to apologize. I fail to see why there is so much "hate speech" around TWC.
I don't hate them (i.e. want them dead or gone). I just dislike them. Let's look why.

QuoteThey are a very good company,
Well, a good company.. I would only reserve very good or higher for companies that truly make a difference in thge world.

Quotethey offer a great service
I can agree with this.

Quoteand I couldn't be a happier customer.
Unless you EVER have a problem with the great service. heaven forbid you have to work with a tech, or even worse a CSR. and because there are a million variables between you and this service (miles of buried cable, indoor wiring, telephone poles, neighborhood juctions, etc.) your chances of having problems with the service are much higher than satellite.. If you are installed right with satellite, it pretty much takes damaging winds to require a service call.

QuoteI know some people have express issues around poor service, but any company can have bad employees and no company is perfect.
It is one thing to have some bad employees. It is another to have them make up the majority of your call center.

QuoteI personally have never had a problem. They have been more than professional and helpful every time I need to work with them.
While they usually are professional, helpful is definitely not a word I would use to describe them.. the funny part is the biggest obstacle I usually run into isn't the CSR but the level of escalation TWC has in place. If I have to reboot my PC one more time because I am just trying to find out where the downed line is.....

QuoteThey have 15 HD channels, all the local channels both SD and HD, hundreds of digital channels, VOD (video on demand), PPV (pay per view), high speed internet, DVR (digital video recorder) and 99 analog channels for all the extra TVs in the home with no STB box required. All of this and never any upfront purchase cost.
The service is nice, but so is satellite. Also, while they have no upfront cost, they definitely have a rearloaded cost. You WILL pay more for your service with TWC.. and with as competitive as satellite has become with HD (aside from the HD Tivo), you will make your money back on those upfront costs in usually a little over a year.

QuoteUnless you live in an area that seems to have some old equipment that has a lot of down time, which I don't, I can't see one reason not to have TWC.
Same service provider no matter where you live, you own your own equipment, you can move to the middle of nowhere and not worry about who your next cable co is going to be, cheaper monthly fees, free OTA local HD channels (if your area has them), better picture than analog channels, etc.. there are many reasons for both sides.

QuoteNo purchase required
There is no purchase required for SD satellite either, and HD is down to $99 plus an antenna, unless you are talking about Voom and Dish which you can get HD for no cost and just lease the equipment.

Quotenot antennas required
I don't get why people keep harping on antennas when all three sat companies will install one for you now with little to no charge extra.

Quoteno OTA signal strength issues to deal with
there are no signal strength issues. there may be installation issues, as there are with cable, but once an antenna is installed and getting a signal, there are no issues unless they are at the station in which case cable has the same ones.

Quoteit just seems like the perfect solution.
Nothing is perfect.. Higher service cost across the board and poor customer support sure doesn't sound perfect.

QuoteI know we are still waiting on HD DVR and ESPN HD, but when my HD DVR comes, I won't have to shell out $1,000.
You said it yourself.. When it finally comes. Also, when your DVR finally comes you won't be able to increase your HD space, won't be able to access your box on a network, likely won't be able to archive video from it, etc.

QuoteThis is not intended to start another string of hate mail post, just my opinion for what it's worth. I have nothing against Satellite, but for me, TWC is the best choice.
Good to hear. And I hope you don't take this follow up as hate either.. I really don't hate TWC or people that use them.. I really don't hate anyone (though Jessica Simpson is really really really close). I just usually step into these "TWC is SOOO dreamy" threads for a little perspective.. Satellite and cable both have their ups and downs, and your last sentence sums it up entirely.. What is the best choice for you..

The only last thing I will say is more of a plea than anything else... Can we stop with the antenna and HD non-DVR box stuff with satellite.. Voom, DirecTV, and Echostar all now have plans where you can lease and/or get HD boxes for extremely cheap right now and all offer low cost antennas with installation as well ($0-50 installed). Also, for most people in the Milwaukee area, local HD isn't a big deal OTA with the exception of Fox (soon to be going away). The only huge roadblock remaining is the HD DVR. Virtually every other argument against satellite as it pertains to "huge" upfront costs has vanished.. So when not referring to the HD Tivo can we please stop talking about upfront costs like it's actually an issue?

summerfun

If you read my post carefully, you can see that I never ONCE said anything negative about Satellite. I think it is a fine service. My whole point of the post was, TWC is also a very good service and I listed some of their benefits.

It just bothers me to hear bashing of TWC on this board like it is the worst company ever and anybody using it must hang their head in shame. Everyone has different needs, and mine are best serviced by cable here in Pewaukee.

Many communities have terrible cable service and if I lived in one of those areas, I would be the first guy on satellite.

gparris

Ok guys, the HD DVR is not here for TWC subs yet...but soon.
No, it is not a HD-Tivo, but it is cheaper than buying one.:cool:
Yes, TWC subscribers will beat that to death until the HD-Tivo is at least half the price it is now.:D

borghe:
Satellite and cable have equal advantages over each other, that is true.

But until...

1) I can grab a couple of HD-Tivos off a shelf at C.C. and not re-mortgage my house to do it.

And

2) I can get my HD Locals available from satellite...(Directv, Dish,whomever).

I am not buying into satellite, period.:guitar:

My service and setups have been flawless for years, with TWC.

Sorry if you can't say the same.:D

:wave:

borghe

summerfun - as I said, it was not5 my intention to "bash" TWC (at least in this thread :P ).. just to provide perspective on the disadvantages of cable.

gparris - I have conceded on point one numerous times and have nothing else to say other than, you're right. $1000 is extremely steep and even out of DirecTV subs only a marginal percentage will buy it.. you are 100% correct. But as to point 2, if you were to go with ANY satellite provider, you would get local HD channels. Period. End of story. Please stop now. I don't get what one's insistance is with getting these channels from the same source (ie cable or satellite). Do you get to watch them? Check. Can you record from them? Check. Do they appear on your system like every other channel? Check. Do they have all relevant guide data? Check. If you were to look at my system and compare it to your system (guide data that is) the only difference you will see between my HD locals and your HD locals is that your are numbered in the 500's and mine have a -n after each number.. but they are the same channels. And anyone who signs up with an HD satellite service right now will get an antenna installed as well by the service and except for fringe locations and some rare exceptions, will get the same local HD channels you do...

Tom Snyder

Just cuz I put my name on the list doesn't mean I'm deifitnely gonna do it. :)  Just trying to keep my options open, as I'm spending a ton o'bucks every month to have enough of both TWC and DirecTV to get the stations I need.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

gparris

Doing both got expensive for me: I calculated if I continued to do both it would set me up for about $50 more a month than I am currently paying with cable-only.
 If I did all-cable or all-Directv and add in the Road Runner factor
 (discount of $5 with Digipic 2000 or 4000) I am about even, except with satellite,I would have to do the outside antenna thing for network HD locals and even then, I still would not be able to record shows without spending a couple grand for 2 HD-Tivos,  for both sets.
 So I am keeping cable for its HD DVR coming out soon as I watch everything time-shifted with my busy schedule and that would include HD programmes, plus the ability to fast forward over commercials...
(unless they're entertaining).;)

Again, I don't care if borghe likes his antenna/dish array, as that is his business and opinion.

I feel summerfun would agree with me on this:
 We don't want our home roofs to start looking like the backlot of a cable company.

Antennas are ugly.

Where I live to get anything HD OTA, it would require more of what Gregg L. has in his yard.

Forget that.:mad:

borghe

technically you should be able to get chicago without much work at all... (in kenosha that is).

as for antennas are ugly, every house usually has somewhere to put one (or more) without being seen by the public.. you cannot see my dish or antenna from the street nor even the sidewalk in front of the house... if you drove or walked past my house it would appear I was just another cable lemming.. :p

Todd Wiedemann

Quoteas for antennas are ugly...
I completely disagree.

I take pride in my hobby; my antennas and dishes are as much a part of my house and lifestyle as the mailbox or the front door.

I believe that it's all about your perspective. Personally, I find snowmobiles, boats, jetskis, ATV's, etc and their related trailers ugly yet many of my neighbors have them in their yards.

Would I say anything ? Nope. Furthermore, no one has expressed anything negative about my very prominent huge OTA antenna or 90cm motorized dish perched on my second story roof.

They are a conversation starter, though. :D

borghe

like have you found alien life yet.. lol... :p

I won't get into a debate anymore on this, but I do agree.. there is something about antennas to me that are just cool... knowing that, over this technology which has largely remained unchanged for 50 years, you are receiving pictures with 1080 lines of resolution and discrete 5.1 channel audio all delivered in a digital format.. that is just beyond cool.. people come over to my house, ask why I have an antenna, and I show them HD.. and you know what they say? Every single time they say "Well, if I could get that over an antenna I probably wouldn't go with cable".

Many people, at least ones I know, go with cable/satellite for local channels first and foremost... sure they like their Food Network, HBO, TNT, etc.. but especially in today's day and age of TV on DVD, most of them end up using just their local channels more than anything else and get their favorite shows on DVD after the fact.

People like the thought of getting something for nothing, and as more TVs come with built in digital tuners and the public starts learning that with an antenna and the advent of digital signals they can get quite a few channels for free (after fox 6 comes up it will be 17 channels with just an antenna) and in perfect quality, I really believe that the antenna will start making a comeback..

Honestly, if it weren't for HDNet Movies I could honestly say I watch very little on satellite any more... (ironic about the Tivo... lol...)

summerfun

QuoteI believe that it's all about your perspective. Personally, I find snowmobiles, boats, jetskis, ATV's, etc and their related trailers ugly yet many of my neighbors have them in their yards.
It's all about where you live. My neighborhood does not allow snowmobiles, boats, jet skis, ATV's etc in your driveway or on your property. I don't know if an antenna is allowed, but I have never seen one. I doubt it though.

All power lines, phone lines and cables are underground. I don't know, but maybe that's why we don't seem to have the TWC down time others have talked about. I have been here 5 years and can't remember cable or RR being down more than once or twice in all that time.

borghe

it is against the law to prohibit an antenna. they can't even require you to use an attic antenna instead. They also cannot prohibit satellite dishes. The only thing they can require is that all dishes and antennas be placed in the least conspicuous area that DOES NOT INHIBIT reception. So if you get a 95 signal strength on satellite on the front of the house and a 95 signal strength on the back of the house, they can require you put it on the back of the house. However if you get a 60 signal stregth on the back and a 95 on the front, they cannot require you to put it in the back.

I believe they also CAN prohibit that your antenna not extend more than like 10' or 12' above your roofline, or something like that. Can't remember exactly what.

All hail SHIVA.

gparris

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
It's all about where you live. My neighborhood does not allow snowmobiles, boats, jet skis, ATV's etc in your driveway or on your property. I don't know if an antenna is allowed, but I have never seen one. I doubt it though.

All power lines, phone lines and cables are underground. I don't know, but maybe that's why we don't seem to have the TWC down time others have talked about. I have been here 5 years and can't remember cable or RR being down more than once or twice in all that time.

I hate ATVs in the driveways, etc.  like you do, Todd...however, I never intended to say your hobby or YOUR antennas are ugly...it is just a matter of perspective. Most folks have other hobbies and HDTV is not a hobby anymore unless you want to make it, but it should NOT have to be in order to get good HD reception...my point all along with HD-Cable subscriptions.

As for summerfun...he lives in the same kind of community I live:
devoid of powerlines, cablelines, etc and newer cabling which translates to fewer, if ever, downtimes and the fun with TWC Csrs.
My neigbourhood includes an association where we all agreed that unslightly mast antennas and big black dishes were not to be allowed in the community, but the satellite dishes like Directv and so forth were allowed from any roof location.:D
You pay for and desire for a nice community, no one drags you into it and if big mast antennas are not part of the "scene" it is because your association (you and your neighbors) voted on it.
Nothing unlawful here...everyone reads the bylaws before the buy and build. They can, take another vote and change them,however, but I don't think that will happen to get Illinois channels because TWC allows Illinois SD channels on our system here in Kenosha: now only if they would allow the WB and UPN to come in with the HD parts...so long Sinclair!.:cool: