News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Airport Advice

Started by a0ka0k, Thursday Feb 05, 2009, 11:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a0ka0k

I live in St. Francis on the North East side of the airport (General Mitchell). I was wondering if any one had any advice on how to get better OTA reception. I am currently using an external HD receiver by hisense, and an powered antenna by RCA. By no means is this the top or even middle of the line stuff, but I can't get ANY channel to stay at more than 10-15%...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Slot Car Driver

I would get rid off the "powered" antenna and use an outdoor UHF antenna.  I have used antenna's from Radio Shack & Channel Master.  Both work very well.  I receive all the Milwaukee channels at 90% or better.  I live near Butler in Brookfield.

troyriley

I second the outdoor antenna. This will be a drastic improvement over the indoor, especially with digital signals. Being so close to the airport, you still may experience some interference issues. However, your signal strength has more room for interference issues when your signal strength is in the 90's, which is what it would probably be in from St. Francis.

Jimboy

You mentioned you are using a receiver made by Hisense.  Is this by chance one of the DB-2010 (USDIGITAL or USDTV) receivers?

Jimboy

Quote from: a0ka0k;50636Jimboy, I believe it to be the  DB-2010

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-HDTV-Digital-Tuner-Hisense-DB-2010-HD-High_W0QQitemZ280311471546QQihZ018QQcategoryZ32847QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a few of these myself. The Hisense tuner is considered to be an ATSC 4th generation tuner (with HD component output). Since it's a 4th generation tuner it doesn't handle multipath issues as well as today's 6th generation tuners. Using an indoor amplified antenna may be making things worse especially if it's picking up multipath. Your best bet would be to get a good outside antenna and try it in your attic first (always better outside). I currently use a Channelmaster 4228 with the Hisense box and all channels are in the 90's (with the exception of the low power digitals 13 & 17). Marmax on 60th & Rawson or Warrenelectronics.com are a couple of places where I have purchased stuff in the past.  It's usually better purchasing local.....if it doesn't work for you take it back and try something else.

Have you tried your current antenna without it being "powered"? Too strong a signal will cause problems as well.