News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dsl

Started by Gregg Lengling, Monday Aug 20, 2012, 04:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Well I didnt' want cable as I like my Dish Network but hated the old DSL 6 meg max.....thankfully AT&T is upgrading Nationwide and changing from PPOE to IPDSL, I'm paying 34 bucks a month for this.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2130672736.png
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Jimboy

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;58831Well I didnt' want cable as I like my Dish Network but hated the old DSL 6 meg max.....thankfully AT&T is upgrading Nationwide and changing from PPOE to IPDSL, I'm paying 34 bucks a month for this.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2130672736.png

This available everywhere? Like Oak Creek....

ArgMeMatey

Yes, do tell:  Is that a promo rate?  Is this available in VDSL (VRAD) areas?

Gregg Lengling

Just go to att.com/uverse to check avail.  It's the promo rate for 1st year after that it's 45 a month, but that still isn't very bad.
If you live in a VRAD ready area  you can get up to 24 down, the IPDSL only goes to 18 down.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

LoadStar

Wow. With Uverse, the "one time charges" though are a killer, unless you opt for at least U200 television service as well. $249? Screw that.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: LoadStar;58835Wow. With Uverse, the "one time charges" though are a killer, unless you opt for at least U200 television service as well. $249? Screw that.

There should only be  a charge for the modem for a self install of Internet only on full VRAD uvers
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

murdoc

Not to make this a ****ing match, but I'll throw down.

$40/month through Charter using my own modem.  Technically I'm paying for the 18/2 package but I have not seen those speeds on even my worst day.  I love Charter!

Bebop

Quote from: LoadStar;58835Wow. With Uverse, the "one time charges" though are a killer, unless you opt for at least U200 television service as well. $249? Screw that.

It's widely known practice that people ordered the TV package  to avoid the installation charges then canceled the TV service a month later.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

brewtownska

We switched from TWC (random disconnects for years) to Uverse for internet only about a month ago.  No dropouts now, so we're happy.

I too was surprised by the installation charge, so signed up for self-install and had to only pay the $100 for the gateway and first month's discounted rate.

I was surprised by a call from a tech the day our service was scheduled to be "activated" saying he had to verify the line into the house was good.  I imagine this is because we did not have AT&T for any services at the time (many years ago had phone service, so there was at least a line in the house).  I told him I did not yet have a phone line in the room we planned to connect the gateway, so he just added it free of charge (I verified again with him if there would be a charge for this because I had only signed up for self-install).

Maybe I got lucky, maybe this is pretty standard if you're a "new" customer.  But if the info helps you decide whether to pay for installation, that's great.  FYI, my basement ceiling is open, so there wasn't any work fishing wires.  He even used the existing hole in the room that the TWC line was going.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;58834Just go to att.com/uverse to check avail.  It's the promo rate for 1st year after that it's 45 a month, but that still isn't very bad.
If you live in a VRAD ready area  you can get up to 24 down, the IPDSL only goes to 18 down.

Thanks for posting back.  I just wondered if they were rolling out any IP-DSLAMs in the wire centers here that would let me get their service without the 3600HGV modem/router.  

I had VDSL from a VRAD for 12 months at $30 after upgrading from ADSL.  They gave me another $5 per month for the first six months for doing a POTS combo.  So $25 for the first six months, $30 for the second six months.  Then they said my rate would increase to $5 and they wouldn't give me any retention deal.  So I now have 10 Mbps Time Warner for $30 which usually runs at 12 Mbps anyway.  That's a 12-month promo rate.

I'll be looking at AT&T again as my TW deal approaches expiration.  Presumably they'll give me a new customer discount at that point.  Ping pong, anyone?  :)

I still have the 3600HGV modem.  I got a bill credit to cover the $100 fee.  I've also heard you can get one free somehow if you order in an AT&T storefront.  

The 3600HGV worked fine, but I prefer the simplicity of the cable modem.  No "DMZplus sorta almost bridge mode but that's the best we can do" to deal with.