• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HBO to Launch Cinemax HDTV

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Dec 05, 2002, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Multichannel News
12/4/2002 6:08:00 PM
   Anaheim, Calif. -- Home Box Office announced Wednesday that it will begin transmitting East Coast and West Coast high-definition-TV feeds of its 24-hour premium television service, Cinemax, in the second half of 2003.

HBO plans to offer approximately 70 percent of Cinemax's daily schedule of first-run films, classic movies and original documentaries in true high-definition 1080i (interlaced) format.

The remaining 30 percent of programming will be upconverted to the 1080i format, providing subscribers with HD sets enhanced picture quality compared with standard-definition digital television.

HBO was the first to launch a high-definition pay channel when East Coast and West Coast HDTV feeds of its flagship network were made available in March 1999. More than 65 percent of the HBO HD feed is in true HDTV.

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

Yes, I am one the "those" OAR zealots, and I can only pray they will show all movies unbutchered UNLIKE HBO-HD. I will admit that I do occasionally enjoy HD movies on HBO, it also pains me that even with a 16:9 screen, I am not getting the whole picture (unless it is 1.85:1 through 1.33:1 of course).
Pan-N-scan is bad, but "cropping" widescreen movies to fit a 16:9 television is just as bad to me!

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Heebner (edited 12-05-2002).]

John Polulach

Matt - Yep, pan and scan butchering is horrible, especially to 4:3!  But I enjoy watching 16:9 over the other "wider" widescreen formats.  More picture to enjoy and not much lost.  Just my 2 pennies.  John