• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner cost increase

Started by KryptoNyte, Sunday Oct 14, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KryptoNyte

A year ago, I contacted Time Warner and ordered up a television and internet package.  I specifically requested that I just pay the straight up cost for these two services, and not be put on the usual "expiring promotion" program, which they abliged.  A few months back, I see that they held my price, but went ahead and called that price a promotion.

The bill comes this month, and sure enough, there's yet another 10 bucks arbitrarily added to the bill.  I'm told that the bill goes up 10 bucks a year whether I like it or not.

Anyone else?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: KryptoNyte;58913I specifically requested that I just pay the straight up cost for these two services, and not be put on the usual "expiring promotion" program, which they abliged.  A few months back, I see that they held my price, but went ahead and called that price a promotion.

...I'm told that the bill goes up 10 bucks a year whether I like it or not.

You're saying the language on the bill changed from "standard blah blah blah" to "promotion blah blah blah"?

Who told you the bill goes up $10 a year?

Price it with AT&T if available, or any non-bundled services.  If they're offering a better deal, see if TW will match or beat.  

Having to call every year is just the cost of doing business with a duopoly.  Otherwise you can pay more to be a loyal customer.

KryptoNyte

I've been doing the call yearly thing for a few years.  Last year, I finally got fed up with it, and I asked the representative to give me the straight prices for Internet and (what they, at the time called) Extended Cable TV.  They gave me one price for the Internet, one for the TV, I then agreed to that pair of prices.

Unfortunately, I have the paperless bill option, so I can't see back beyond June of 2012 it would seem.

I did check the other bills to date, and here's the same old scheme in a new costume;

In May, June, July and August, they called the Internet/TV the "DOUBLE PLAY BUNDLE," for a cost of $94.90 per month.  This includes their 10mbit Internet service, Basic TV Service, and Standard TV Service.  I did not agree to a "BUNDLE" of any kind when I agreed to the pair of fees for two services, but it appears they billed it that way regardless.

Now, on the September service bill, Time Warner is back to their usual shenanigans - they change the wording of the plan to "TIME WARNER CABLE PROMOTION."  Now, the October bill reads the same, with the exception that they arbitrarily increased the "TIME WARNER CABLE PROMOTION" to $104.90, for the same exact services.

We all know that you can set your watch to Time Warner's yearly "bill-foolerly," but when I called the support representative today, "Becky" indicated that this is simply a yearly cost increase, and that I should expect a $10/year cost increase from here forward.

In any other market, I would do exactly what you mention, but when you live in an apartment, the ONLY way one gets to watch the Discovery channel is by being forced to do business with Time Warner at whatever cost they decide.  I would give ANYTHING for some form of US competition, so that the system at least had some chance to work.

Sorry for the rant.  It's a yearly thing I guess.  It's just that with the total monthly bill approaching $127 with just cable TV and Internet, I don't know how much longer I can pull this "luxury."

Jack 1000

Quote from: KryptoNyte;58915I've been doing the call yearly thing for a few years.  Last year, I finally got fed up with it, and I asked the representative to give me the straight prices for Internet and (what they, at the time called) Extended Cable TV.  They gave me one price for the Internet, one for the TV, I then agreed to that pair of prices.

Unfortunately, I have the paperless bill option, so I can't see back beyond June of 2012 it would seem.

I did check the other bills to date, and here's the same old scheme in a new costume;

In May, June, July and August, they called the Internet/TV the "DOUBLE PLAY BUNDLE," for a cost of $94.90 per month.  This includes their 10mbit Internet service, Basic TV Service, and Standard TV Service.  I did not agree to a "BUNDLE" of any kind when I agreed to the pair of fees for two services, but it appears they billed it that way regardless.

Now, on the September service bill, Time Warner is back to their usual shenanigans - they change the wording of the plan to "TIME WARNER CABLE PROMOTION."  Now, the October bill reads the same, with the exception that they arbitrarily increased the "TIME WARNER CABLE PROMOTION" to $104.90, for the same exact services.

We all know that you can set your watch to Time Warner's yearly "bill-foolerly," but when I called the support representative today, "Becky" indicated that this is simply a yearly cost increase, and that I should expect a $10/year cost increase from here forward.

In any other market, I would do exactly what you mention, but when you live in an apartment, the ONLY way one gets to watch the Discovery channel is by being forced to do business with Time Warner at whatever cost they decide.  I would give ANYTHING for some form of US competition, so that the system at least had some chance to work.

Sorry for the rant.  It's a yearly thing I guess.  It's just that with the total monthly bill approaching $127 with just cable TV and Internet, I don't know how much longer I can pull this "luxury."

Call Customer Retentions. (Not regular customer service) and see if they can offer you a better deal.  $127 for just cable TV and Internet seems high.  What specific cable plan or package do you have?  Is it Standard Cable or Digital Basic added as well?

Here is the number for Customer Retentions:

1-866-892-0019  

If you are cool with them, and are a good negotiator, you should be able to get some compensation, usually around $10-20 off your service each year to compensate for rate increases.  You may have to go through a couple of reps to get a good deal.  My guess is you might be able to get it down to $115.  Give Customer Retentions a try.  It really should be only about $100, but I don't think you will get it quite that low.  Shop around too, and ask how they can help.

My experience with them has been,  don't say, "Your services suck and I'm thinking of switching."  If you are thinking of switching, cite specific billing questions or issues that you have, and just say something like, "Is there anything you could do to lower my bill?"  I think they will give you some help.  Let us know how that goes.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

KryptoNyte

I give up.  I think I'll just have to head back to over the air broadcasts and purchase my favorite programs on DVD/Bluray.  This is crazy.

FCC to allow encryption of local channels ...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/14/fcc-to-allow-encryption-of-basic-cable-with-a-few-strings-that/

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: KryptoNyte;58917I give up.  I think I'll just have to head back to over the air broadcasts and purchase my favorite programs on DVD/Bluray.  This is crazy.

FCC to allow encryption of local channels ...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/14/fcc-to-allow-encryption-of-basic-cable-with-a-few-strings-that/

Thanks for that link.  It was inevitable, but it would have been nice if they'd required Clear QAM for people using cable as an antenna substitute, for example where apartment dwellers are unable to get good reception.    

We've gotten to the point at our house that most nights, nobody is watching TV.  Sayonara!  

Regarding the apartment conundrum, you are probably aware that TW tries to lock properties into exclusive wiring contracts.  They give the management company free cable at the rate of 1 free unit per 200 wired units.  They give a kickback and dedicated account reps for properties that have high tenant subscription rates or bulk subscriptions.  If you get fed up enough to move out, make sure you let the landlord know that the lack of choice was part of your decision.  

Time Warner's contracts don't require that they are the exclusive supplier to the property, but they do require that they have exclusive use of the existing coaxial cable to the units.  They know there are few (if any) landlords who would bear the cost, or be able to find another provider to bear the cost, of providing another set of cables to individual units.

Bebop

Cable modem fee is next. I know existing customers are grandfathered for now, but for how long? The fee is rolling out across the country.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Struggles-to-Defend-Modem-Fee-121548

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

grenier

Quote from: Bebop;58921Cable modem fee is next. I know existing customers are grandfathered for now, but for how long? The fee is rolling out across the country.

It's not grandfathered in for me, I had a notice it would be on my next bill.
Cisco 8640HDC

PONIES

I don't mind. I added a customer owned modem months ago.

KryptoNyte

Where exactly does (yet another fee increase) that memo appear on your bill?  I've scoured mine, but I'm not seeing it.  Additionally, when I asked the customer service rep, Becky, if there is any warning of a price increase in advance, her reply was, "You just got it, right there on your bill."

KryptoNyte

Quote from: PONIES;58923I don't mind. I added a customer owned modem months ago.

Which modem did you get, Ponies, so the rest of us know which one is compatible?

grenier

It should be on the back of the bill, upper right hand side. It says "Look Here Important Notices".

They are also raising the converter rentals $2 a month.
Cisco 8640HDC

KryptoNyte

Oh, yeah, by golly, there it is.  It's time to vote what I think of their new fees ... with my wallet.

KryptoNyte

Here's that link for approved cable modem devices that you can purchase locally, unless of course you'd prefer to pay Time Warner 3 or 4 times the actual cost of the device over the coming years to just lease it from them.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-or-lease-your-modem.html

Thanks for the heads up on that note, grenier.

ArgMeMatey

I bought a DPC2100r2 on Amazon and installed it last week.  When I signed up in March I got "Six months free modem" so I knew this was coming.  At least, I knew the $2.50 per month fee was coming.  As already noted, there are reports that an "upgraded" fee of $4 will be phased in regionally.  

(My original plan was to buy the SB6141 DOCSIS 3 close to my free modem deal expiration, but as that date approached the price on the SB6141 continued to escalate.  It was about $75 last May and two weeks ago was up to $130.  I found the very limited availability interesting; I could only find it on eBay and Amazon.  NO other retailers.)  

So Plan B was, buy the DPC2100 for $15 and then buy the SB6141 when the price comes down.  My hope is that the DPC2100 will not be phased out before the SB6141 price drops back into the atmosphere.  

The installation process was as follows:

1.  Online chat with a guy who told me to call on the phone.
2.  Called and spoke with a woman who assigned a case number.  I gave her the MAC address and modem model.  She put it in the file notes.  
3.  She transferred me to another woman who looked at the notes, told me she didn't have access to the required system to add my modem, and transferred me again.
4.  The next stop was a guy in "Tier 3". I spent a few minutes on the line while he entered my modem info.  I unplugged my old modem and hooked up the new one.  First time, it didn't "stick", so I power cycled the modem and it fired right up.  
5.  On the next day, my new MAC address showed up on my account web site.
6.  I carried the old modem in to the TW store and they gave me a receipt.  

The chat & phone process took about 40 minutes.  Probably ten minutes chatting and  a half hour on the phone.  I called at about 7:30 AM and the modem was online at 8 AM.