News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Need new TWC DVR soon

Started by patnshan, Monday Jul 02, 2012, 02:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patnshan

Hello,
I am running a 1TB Fantom Green external eSata drive on my Scientific Atlanta 8300-HD.  It has worked flawlessly for years until recently.  Now we are having issues with things scheduled to record not recording, recordings "lost", etc.  I suspect the box may be dying.  
My question is this.  Are there any current HD DVR boxes TWC is issuing that "allow" external HD connections?  If not, how big are the HD's these days?  Obviously the HD on the 8300-HD is not large enough to record a significant amount of HD, hence the reason for the external.   If the drives are larger, maybe I don't need it.  
Thanks for any info on this.  I want to know what to ask for if I need to exchange this thing.
Pat

Jack 1000

Quote from: patnshan;58641Hello,
I am running a 1TB Fantom Green external eSata drive on my Scientific Atlanta 8300-HD.  It has worked flawlessly for years until recently.  Now we are having issues with things scheduled to record not recording, recordings "lost", etc.  I suspect the box may be dying.  
My question is this.  Are there any current HD DVR boxes TWC is issuing that "allow" external HD connections?  If not, how big are the HD's these days?  Obviously the HD on the 8300-HD is not large enough to record a significant amount of HD, hence the reason for the external.   If the drives are larger, maybe I don't need it.  
Thanks for any info on this.  I want to know what to ask for if I need to exchange this thing.
Pat

Just ask for a Cisco or a Samsung box if you can get one.  They are the newest models.  Not sure if they will work with your drive expander or not.  Also don't know how well (or not well) the new guide system works with drive expanders.  But the boxes from Cisco and Samsung have the bigger hard drives.

The SA DVR's ALL have the puny hard drives, no matter what make/model.  However, before you exchange your box, personal story, we had issues with channels not coming in, recordings from time to time, not working for about six months.  We had a tech out and he not only replaced the drop-line, but also a corroded cable in the back of the DVR.  That was six months ago, and the box works fine since.

Have TWC roll-out a tech to check the quality of the following before exchanging the box:

1.) Quality of cables in back of TV and DVR.  (Check for secure fittings/corrosion)
2.) Signal Strength
3.) Drop-Line Readings

The tech may need to replace the cables in the back of the set/DVR, as well as the drop line.

Any of the above three will cause the problems you describe,  Tech will bring a new box and replace your box, if the above three issues are not a problem.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

patnshan

Thanks for the info Jack.  I wonder if I should remove the HD prior to having them out?  These goons like to blame issues on things like that when they know it's not.  They tend to blow smoke up people's arse hoping they believe it.  I will give it a go for sure.  Again, I don't have a need for the expander if the HD is of a decent size (500GB would work).
Pat

Jack 1000

Quote from: patnshan;58645Thanks for the info Jack.  I wonder if I should remove the HD prior to having them out?  These goons like to blame issues on things like that when they know it's not.  They tend to blow smoke up people's arse hoping they believe it.  I will give it a go for sure.  Again, I don't have a need for the expander if the HD is of a decent size (500GB would work).
Pat

Yea Pat,

Good idea.  Just disconnect the thing before they get there.  Otherwise, they could DEFINITELY blame it on that.  Sometimes people will just put their drive expanders in another room during a troubleshooting process.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide