• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TimeWarner - No Box - CBS and ABC in HD?

Started by MRink, Monday Mar 19, 2012, 06:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRink

Greetings, quick question.  In our bedroom, we have an LCD TV that we connect to TimeWarner cable without a box in between.  (I believe that means we're using an internal QAM tuner in the TV?)  If we channel surf through the local channels, we can get a standard definition NBC broadcast on channel 4, but then can get their broadcast in HD on channel 4.1 (and get subchannel content on 4.2 and 4.3).  Similar story for Fox, we can get SD channel 6, or tune in HD via 6.1.  However, it doesn't seem that there are similar channels 5.1 and 12.1 for getting the same HD upgrade for CBS and ABC.  Is there a story behind that?  Or am I doing something wrong?

trev57

Have you tried re-scanning for channels? That always seems to work best for me. However, I can't specifically answer for TWC since I have Charter. Our "big four" QAM channels come in on 79.1, 79.7, 81.1, and 81.7.

brewtownska

If a re-scan doesn't help, check if there are any splitters in your lines.  If so, does it mention the frequency range the splitter is capable of?  A lot of old splitters don't pass thru the required frequencies for QAM and Roadrunner signals.  Those channels are definitely available for free via QAM, so you should be receiving them.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

klwillis45

I don't have TWC anymore but when I did I had a setup like yours.

I got TMJ & its subs in the 4s, Fox & its subs in the 6s, ABC & its subs in the 12s, PBS & its subs in the 10s & 36s, & CBS & its subs in the 58s.

The 58s liked to drop out if the cable came just a little bit loose so be sure to follow brewtownska's advice too.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: MRink;58385...we're using an internal QAM tuner in the TV?)  

... we can get a standard definition NBC broadcast on channel 4, but then can get their broadcast in HD on channel 4.1 (and get subchannel content on 4.2 and 4.3).  

... for Fox, we can get SD channel 6, or tune in HD via 6.1.  

Here's a list of the qam256 channels that Time Warner carries in my area.  You can put in your own zip code to see if it changes.  These guys do a decent job of keeping current but it never hurts to re-scan.  

The frequencies are not much different for 4, 6, 12, and 58.  It looks like Time Warner carries the local digital channels on QAM 83 - 86.  

However TW has been known to change them without notice and the call center people didn't even know what I was talking about if I said anything about QAM or digital locals.  (Or they were pulling a Sgt. Schultz!  ;) )

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:53211#sidebyside