• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WMLW HD Coming to TWC

Started by FIPS133, Friday Feb 17, 2012, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIPS133

I noticed a discussion on Brewerfan.net regarding an announcement from Time Warner that they will be adding WMLW HD on channel 1007 in mid-March.  Good news for viewing of Brewers games when not on FSWI.

Jack 1000

I created a thread about this in the "Latest News" forum.  Here you go:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9397

Tom, can you merge this topic into that thread?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Tivoman44

This may be a dumb question, but does that mean 41.1 and 58.2 will broadcast them in HD as well?

klwillis45

Quote from: Tivoman44;58292This may be a dumb question, but does that mean 41.1 and 58.2 will broadcast them in HD as well?
I'd bet 41.1 goes HD but 58.2 stays SD.

morning traffic

Quote from: FIPS133;58287I noticed a discussion on Brewerfan.net regarding an announcement from Time Warner that they will be adding WMLW HD on channel 1007 in mid-March.  Good news for viewing of Brewers games when not on FSWI.

No Brewer games will be on WMLW this season as far as I know, HD or not.
I think this has to do with FSWI having extra cash to buy up the rights as there were some Bucks games that never aired due to the lockout.

jjallou

Now no Brewers on WMLW?

A requirement for a professional sports franchise whose stadium they play in is subsidized by TAX DOLLARS should have all or most of their games available for free over the air!

tencom

Quote from: jjallou;58319Now no Brewers on WMLW?

A requirement for a professional sports franchise whose stadium they play in is subsidized by TAX DOLLARS should have all or most of their games available for free over the air!

I don't think any advertiser supported over the air broadcasters could come up with the rights fees, as the Fox Sports network, can by forcing all cable and satellite subscribers, to pay for it even if most don't watch many games, as they charge each subscribing household almost $3.00 a month for FSN. I don't think by the ratings the brewer games get, OTA broadcasters could sell enough advertising to cover the tremendous costs of buying the rights to the Brewer telecasts.

mrschimpf

Quote from: tencom;58321I don't think any advertiser supported over the air broadcasters could come up with the rights fees, as the Fox Sports network, can by forcing all cable and satellite subscribers, to pay for it even if most don't watch many games, as they charge each subscribing household almost $3.00 a month for FSN. I don't think by the ratings the brewer games get, OTA broadcasters could sell enough advertising to cover the tremendous costs of buying the rights to the Brewer telecasts.

What they said exactly; FSN and Comcast in other markets offer so much money and surrounding programming promoting the team that teams pretty much have to take it, while local stations in most cases have too many obligations, including having to deal with networks who refuse to let them pre-empt programming, annoying people who want their favorite court show on every day, and the fact that the diverse advertising base broadcast stations had in the past isn't there anymore to let them afford sports rights. WMLW had few of those obligations, but it still also has to deal with the corporate pocketbook; Weigel is obviously putting more money into their national diginets and they need every cent they can get.

You don't see broadcasters doing the big three sports outside of the NFL anymore unless it's a big city, and even then it's usually just using the broadcast versions to push people to get cable (WWOR's 12-15 Yankee broadcasts for instance, which might as well be branded as a paid program for the YES network).

I will say though compared to ten years ago when MSC/FSN's coverage of the team was embarrassingly low-tech, now their coverage is among the best in the nation, and it shows.

Also, don't forget, there will be games carried by Fox (more if they're competitive), and this year if we get to the NLCS it's a Fox year.

Jack 1000

WMLW TV-41 is now been scheduled from March to June according to TWC's Website:

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:  RSN Extra and RSN Extra HD were recently added to digital channels 310 and 1310. On or after 5/1, Signature View On Demand joins the lineup on 480.  On 5/28, Planet Green becomes Destination America. On or after 6/12, WMLW HD will be added to channel 1007.

Taken From:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Midwest/support/policies/channelchange.html

I have a feeling it is going to get delayed again.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide