• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Your News Choice

Started by trev57, Thursday Jan 19, 2012, 09:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev57

Well it looks like HD does in fact affect ratings. CBS 58 beat FOX 6 in the February sweeps with 6.7 rating over 6's 5.9 rating.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/141044203.html

jjallou

All local news is........an hour of commercials with brief news breaks.

WITI6fan

Quote from: trev57;58333Well it looks like HD does in fact affect ratings. CBS 58 beat FOX 6 in the February sweeps with 6.7 rating over 6's 5.9 rating.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/141044203.html

I think it's a mix of both WDJT's improved quality and overall look, and a plunge in the quality of content on WITI. "One man band" packages full of editing mistakes (i.e. interviewees not miced up) done by people who look like they just got out of or are still in college, people constantly coming and going, constant production errors (And they're not even automated yet), a poorly managed graphics package mixed with stock graphics bought off the internet, and a promotions department that just produces bland content.

Even this tornado relief ticker they're running looks like it was thrown together 10 minutes before the fundraiser started. It's full of glitches.

It may not be a huge part of ratings, but is it any wonder that the two stations who have consistent use of graphics and music are the two that are in the lead?

REVM1M

"done by people who look like they just got out of or are still in college"

That is what I keep telling my wife , everytime we watch the news on Fox6.

mrschimpf

Quote from: WITI6fan;58337I think it's a mix of both WDJT's improved quality and overall look, and a plunge in the quality of content on WITI. "One man band" packages full of editing mistakes (i.e. interviewees not miced up) done by people who look like they just got out of or are still in college, people constantly coming and going, constant production errors (And they're not even automated yet), a poorly managed graphics package mixed with stock graphics bought off the internet, and a promotions department that just produces bland content.

Even this tornado relief ticker they're running looks like it was thrown together 10 minutes before the fundraiser started. It's full of glitches.

It's really not helping at all that the new VO guy 6 brought in a few months ago seems to work on the cheap as you can hear his voice in many infomercials and bad direct response ads for junk mortgage rescue, medical appliance and phone plans nationwide. Many people wouldn't care, but those in the know can just tell no effort is being put into their promos.

Even sadder is that they had to play off a 'paper numbers on a black board' "tote board" for the telethon as the Red Cross not paying for frills (really, you can't plug in an LCD screen with a graphic quick, guys)?

The good thing about 58 is there seems to be much less of a mix of "really, you're covering this?" news than there is on 4 or 12, and though there are still glitches I'm forgiving of them because at least they're trying. I can't say that about 6 anymore, sadly.

WITI6fan

And the first few minutes of tonight's news was full of technical errors with graphics appearing on screen at the wrong time and then not appearing when they were supposed to.

:bang:

trev57

Quote from: WITI6fan;58354And the first few minutes of tonight's news was full of technical errors with graphics appearing on screen at the wrong time and then not appearing when they were supposed to.

:bang:

On FOX 6? I wonder if they've gone automated...