• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WISN calls this "HD"

Started by WITI6fan, Tuesday Jan 17, 2012, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno321

Quote from: LoadStar;58360KFMB-TV San Diego weekend news anchor and reporter Craig McKee has been named the new 10:00 news anchor, along with Kathy Mykelby.

Jason Newton moves to 5:00 and anchors with Toya Washington. Kathy Mykelby will continue to anchor the 6:00 with Terry Sater.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/142536345.html

Considering the news content is so little do we really that much news time on WISN?  Doesn't everyone have DVR now?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Danno321;58483Considering the news content is so little do we really {need} that much news time on WISN?  Doesn't everyone have DVR now?

I am constantly surprised to hear statistics about how many people use the TV like Muzak.  I have the radio on almost constantly when I am doing stuff around the house, but apparently some people just turn on the TV in the morning, change channels when they get bored, and turn it off at night.  

If enough of those people have Nielsen or Arbitron meters, it makes financial sense for stations to just keep pumping out the same garbage repeatedly.  

But more realistically, they know a significant number of people might turn on the news for 5-30 minutes on the hour in the evening, and they want to catch those eyes regardless of whether it's 5, 6, 9 or 10 PM.  Or maybe 3 PM or 4 PM in some cases.  Or 12 Noon.  Or 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 AM.  You get the picture:  They are already paying the staff on salary, and there is often nothing else worth airing that would get better ad rates, so the news operations might as well be producing revenue.