• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Is the CBS 58 newscasts going to HD soon?

Started by tvboy, Tuesday Nov 29, 2011, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvboy

I was watching a few minutes of the CBS 58 Noon news and noticed grey sidebars were added.  That must mean that they finally got an HD switcher for the newscasts.

trev57

Hopefully. But I don't think there's any definitive answer.

WITI6fan

I'm almost certain these are being generated in master control.

trev57

With the new development of the grey sidebars, I decided to send an email to see what I could find out. They are sticking by the claim of "by the end of the year". So maybe, maybe not.

And as Jerry Seinfeld would say, "Good work Nancy Drew!"

trev57

It looks like it could be happening soon. There was a new HD bug and sports ticker being used tonight.

And this probably has no affect on HD, but as a side note, cbs58.com now has a mobile site.

WITI6fan

Quote from: trev57;58090It looks like it could be happening soon. There was a new HD bug and sports ticker being used tonight.

I recently found out that they have the HD switcher. Whether it's installed or not is anyone's guess. It wasn't on November 30th, when the start of their 5PM show was plagued with a black flash every few seconds.

Keep in mind that WISN was using a HD ticker system for almost 6 months before they finally went full HD. ;)

Also, they should really change that template. It looks exactly like WISN's old sports stuff. I'm pretty sure they're being generated from the same type of system, too, which just means both stations were being lazy.

trev57

Quote from: WITI6fan;58091Keep in mind that WISN was using a HD ticker system for almost 6 months before they finally went full HD. ;)

That's true, but WISN was also already in 16x9 before using the HD ticker. WDJT is still 4x3. 16x9 would at least be a step in the right direction.

Somebody help me out. I'm not that informed on the inner workings of news stations, but assuming they have the HD switcher, HD cameras, HD graphics, etc., what's next? What's holding them back from going HD?

tencom

Quote from: trev57;58092That's true, but WISN was also already in 16x9 before using the HD ticker. WDJT is still 4x3. 16x9 would at least be a step in the right direction.

Somebody help me out. I'm not that informed on the inner workings of news stations, but assuming they have the HD switcher, HD cameras, HD graphics, etc., what's next? What's holding them back from going HD?

Low Ratings

WITI6fan

Quote from: trev57;58092Somebody help me out. I'm not that informed on the inner workings of news stations, but assuming they have the HD switcher, HD cameras, HD graphics, etc., what's next? What's holding them back from going HD?

It could literally be any number of things, depending on how much Management cares about the transition. They could be waiting for a HD clipstore (I don't think WTMJ has even updated theirs yet, which is why opens look fuzzy, since they're in 16:9SD), HD microwave equipment, upgrades to the editing system and playback servers...

Basically, they have the choice of pulling a WTMJ and going HD with just the bare minimum, or pulling a WITI and going HD with everything in HD. Since it's WDJT, I'm going to guess they'll be somewhere in the middle.

WPXE ION

Maybe Master control still needs the HD upgrade completed. Just a guess.

Sometimes management want's it on air ASAP and then worry about tweaking the graphics later.

newhdleo

Well its year end and CBS 58 news still is not in 16x9 HD.  Does anyone have new info on when a switchover will take place?  Happy New Year to all!

REVM1M

Who cares!!! Their newscast is the worst newscast in southeastern Wis and their HD quality is also the worst .

trev57

Quote from: newhdleo;58134Well its year end and CBS 58 news still is not in 16x9 HD.  Does anyone have new info on when a switchover will take place?  Happy New Year to all!

Not set in stone, but the latest update I got from them a few days ago was probably in a week or two.

Quote from: REVM1M;58135Who cares!!! Their newscast is the worst newscast in southeastern Wis and their HD quality is also the worst .

As far as newscast quality, that's up to personal opinion. While you think they're the worst, I think they're second behind WISN.

REVM1M

I think they're second behind WISN.[/QUOTE]

You mean 2nd worst, I would agree with that:D

trev57

Quote from: REVM1M;58137You mean 2nd worst, I would agree with that:D

From best to worst, mine are:
WISN
WDJT
WITI
TMJ4
But again, its all just up to one's personal likes and dislikes.