News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Actiontec Wireless HDMI

Started by KryptoNyte, Sunday Nov 06, 2011, 07:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KryptoNyte

I purchase an "Actiontec - MyWireless TV Wireless HDMI kit" recently in an effort to get my (1) STB to service any television in the house.  It works flawlessly with everything I've tried so far, computer, Western Digital TV devices, except it does not work with my Time Warner STB.

I contacted Actiontec, and their response was that my STB, the Cisco Explorer 4642 HDC was not pushing HDCP 2.0.  I then called Time Warner to see if there was an option to push a firmware to allow this (at the request of the Actiontec tech support staff), and of course there isn't.

Is anyone aware of a Time Warner STB that pushes HDCP 2.0 out of the box?

Bebop

I don't think there is a HDMI 2.0 yet. I think you meant HDCP 2.0.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

KryptoNyte

Quote from: Bebop;57993I don't think there is a HDMI 2.0 yet. I think you meant HDCP 2.0.

Yep, that's correct, HDCP 2.0.

KryptoNyte

... yeah, Time Warner tier 3 had no clue either.

kewll65

How many receiver do you buy? Is it easy to connect to multiple receivers?
And may i know the input voltage for the transmitter and receiver? Can it accept
240 volt?

Thanks a lot..

KryptoNyte

Quote from: kewll65;58009How many receiver do you buy? Is it easy to connect to multiple receivers?
And may i know the input voltage for the transmitter and receiver? Can it accept
240 volt?

Thanks a lot..

I purchased just the kit that I linked to, so just one transmitter and one receiver (for now).  I do believe you can purchase as many receivers as you wish.  Additionally, you can purchase more transmitters and the menu on each receiver will ask you which transmitter you wish to connect to.

I attached a photo of the power cable that plugs into either unit.  Oh, and yeah, too much coffee this morning for picture taking.

One thing that was very slick - the devices have a pass through USB, so if you want to have a computer in the basement transmit it's HDMI screen image to a television on the second floor of your home, you can simply plug your USB keyboard/mouse combo into the receiver and control the computer remotely from the second floor.  It also includes an IR Blaster, so you can change channels on your STB (provided your STB is compatible with this unit) remotely also.

KryptoNyte

One other thing that really surprised me about the computer connection ... the computer actually recognized my TV as a Sharp television, so apparently there is two way communication over the HDMI - it really is just like a cable.

The only thing that I really wish it had at this point was the possibility for seperate audio connectors, maybe even optical.  As it is right now, your audio will ride the HDMI only, there are no other connectors.

kewll65

Thanks KryptoNyte!! Lol too much coffe right...but as long as i can see 240V, that's more than enough. Actually i plan to use this to connect 4 LCD Tvs in my future upgrade of STB to HD. I am holding off the upgrading to HD just because hacking and re-painting will cost a bom. But how would i know my STB is compatible with this unit? I am in Malaysia and returning this unit would be impossible.

About the separate audio connectors, it would not be a problem for me, i would just plug the HDMI to my Pioneer receiver and get 5.1 surround sound? does it really support 5.1?

One strange thing about Actiontec Mywireless tv is that, there is not many reviews or videos on youtube, infact you are the only one that i found...thanks again to you...

KryptoNyte

"But how would i know my STB is compatible with this unit?"

You don't.  Actiontec couldn't tell me, Time Warner couldn't tell me, the only way to find out is to test it.  Sorry.

Actiontec is a no-name brand in the electronics industry as far as I'm concerned, so I would imagine folks are hesitant to purchase.  Additionally, their warranty on the unit is only one year, and if anything can "feel" cheap, these units feel cheap.  For me, if it didn't work, I just return it to the store.

I also would not recomment calling Actiontec to verify if your STB is compatible, I would guess they will always tell you "yes" pre-purchase.  Then, if it didn't work post-purchase, they will then tell you it's the cable company's problem, contact them.

kewll65

My Satellite provider using Pace DS-830NA and it says HDMI with HDCP. I google to check if this STB support HDCP 2.0, but did not get any thing on that. Do you think it will work?

KryptoNyte

Quote from: kewll65;58016My Satellite provider using Pace DS-830NA and it says HDMI with HDCP. I google to check if this STB support HDCP 2.0, but did not get any thing on that. Do you think it will work?

I can't know without testing it.