• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS58 going HD

Started by duncantuna, Monday Jul 18, 2011, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev57

Quote from: mrschimpf;57630I was saying even if it was just a sub-set of the current set it already outranks it by miles.

Ahh, clearer.

WITI6fan

One of their reporters (Tiffany Tarpley) posted a few behind the scenes pictures...

Here's one of the new cameras on somewhat-robotic pedestal. Guess they couldn't resist the urge to buy robotics and kick some staff to the curb...

Here you can see their control room still has the ancient GVG-200 in use.

trev57

For those who missed it, the new set was in use this morning along with new, temporary graphics and new music.

Lance Hill was very...giddy, to say the least about his new weather center.

foxeng

Quote from: WITI6fan;57636Here you can see their control room still has the ancient GVG-200 in use.

Holy crap! We got rid of our 200 over 10 years ago and we only used ours in commercial production! We used a 300 for on air shows!

trev57

From what I've been told, everything will be moved from that control room to another, much smaller one sooner than later while the main control room is upgraded to HD.

Here are some pics of the new set from this morning.

tvboy

I saw the new set for the first time today on TV and its a HUGE upgrade.  The cameras going robotic finally puts them into the 21st Century.  The visual quality is much better already except still not fully in HD yet.  I would guess that by August they will be ready.  Usually it takes two to three weeks between the new cameras and going fully HD. Usually training with HD spectrum first.  They need a weekend to clear out the tube monitors and install multiple source flat screens and get rid of that ancient switcher.

mrschimpf

Quote from: trev57;57638For those who missed it, the new set was in use this morning along with new, temporary graphics and new music.

Lance Hill was very...giddy, to say the least about his new weather center.

It was a good start, though I think the new set gave them jitters; the first half-hour was full of Lance and Jennifer's mics cutting out until they were able to fix it during commercial breaks.

It's also nice to see the weather center is no longer a cubby hidden behind the greenscreen :p, and I like that they returned to the "Third Coast" music package they used to have, although I do miss some parts of the old set (like the pillars with the calls on them). But it is a well-needed change that was implemented well and reflects how far they've come since getting CBS.

newhdleo

Will the CBS58 local news ever change over to a 16:9 format?  Side bars are really annoying!  Does anyone have any insights into this?

trev57

Quote from: newhdleo;57645Will the CBS58 local news ever change over to a 16:9 format?  Side bars are really annoying!  Does anyone have any insights into this?

Yes. It is expected by sometime in September. At that time you will also see the full, official graphics package. The ones they're using right now are just temporary.

And even more details....
QuoteNeither WDJT nor WMLW airs a 6 p.m. newscast. WMLW airs a 9 p.m. newscast, and WDJT airs one at 10 p.m. Earlier this week, WDJT and WMLW introduced a new news set, which Hall called "one part of getting ready to go HD fully."

The HD transition will take another eight to 12 weeks, he said. The new television season starts Sept. 19.

The investment in HD "is not a cheap date," said Hall, and represents "a huge investment" by Weigel in its Milwaukee stations, which are perceived as also-rans. The 10 p.m. newscast on WDJT is generally fourth-ranked, despite the often top-ranked CBS programming that precedes it.

"Corporate gives us a lot of tools to win," including "a huge investment" in syndicated programing, said Hall.

"We want to win and be competitive in the marketplace," said Hall, "and to show what we can do with what we have."

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/126218328.html

newhdleo

Any updates on when CBS 58 will be going to a full HD 16x9 format?  I was hoping the changes would be in by now.  Thanks!

trev57

Quote from: newhdleo;57907Any updates on when CBS 58 will be going to a full HD 16x9 format?  I was hoping the changes would be in by now.  Thanks!

I actually emailed them yesterday and their answer has changed from "very soon" to "by the end of the year...".:bang:

REVM1M

it is not going to matter, because their HD looks like garbage anyway.

trev57

Quote from: REVM1M;57909it is not going to matter, because their HD looks like garbage anyway.

Well, not having sidebars is nice...

It would also be nice if they could announce a timeline and stick to it...but it is WDJT.