• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

ISP Providers other than TWC and AT&T

Started by Tivoman44, Sunday Jul 10, 2011, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

In the Milwaukee/Waukesha/Ozaukee area, does anyone use any other ISP's such as Earthlink, Hughsnet, People PC?  How is the broadband?  Are you satisfied with the speed, price, customer service for outages?  Any outrageous hidden fees, truck rolls for installation, any data caps?  I believe Earthlink is the parent company of peoplepc but Peoplepc still has separate internet services.

BTW I hear conflicting reports, does AT&T cap their data?

PONIES

EarthLink just resells Time Warner Cable and I don't know if they resell Extreme or Wideband yet.

Hughesnet is a garbage satellite Internet provider and unless you live in the middle of a forest should not even be considered.

DSLExtreme is a third party DSL reseller over AT&T's lines... max speeds of 6 Mbps the last time I checked.

AT&Trash is currently rolling out bandwidth caps to all of their subscribers. They haven't shown any signs of stopping. Usage meters are currently working for DSL users, but lucky for U-verse users, the company is woefully incompetent and hasn't gotten the meter working for them... yet. They're uncapped for now. I doubt they will still be free of AT&T's Internet overcharging scheme by the end of 2011.

tl;dr: your only choice at this point is Time Warner Cable. I am quite pleased with my 30/5 Mbps Extreme connection from them for now. I'm sure they'll try and join the rest of the rip-off crew and strangle your Internet connection with "usage limits" like AT&T and Comcrap are doing some day. But Time Warner subscribers are safe at the moment.

Tivoman44

Earthlink advertises 7 megs for $41.95 ($29.95 for the first 6 months).

And then it only has 768 kbps or 15 megs so I guess that is the equivalent of Road Runner Lite and Road Runner standa,rd, and RR Turbo (no 2 meg).

15 megs is $51.90 ($39.90 the first 6 months)

Do you mind me asking how much you pay for your RR PONIES?  And do you just have internet or bundled with TV and/or phone?

I figured that Hughsnet was garbage, anyone use Peoplepc and also I forgot to ask if anyone has TDS metrocom.  I always thought that was for business, but they have a residential internet service to, and I think they are headquartered out of Milwaukee.

Is Verizon available in Milwaukee?

kevbeck122

Verizon landline service is limited to a few areas such as Slinger and I believe some places close to the WI/IL border.  You can get Verizon 4G LTE service, but there may be caps with that and it isn't the cheapest service.

TDS has DSL in many areas around SE WI, but it's just leased lines through AT&T.

TWC is probably your best bet.  U-verse would be my second choice.  I pay $35 + about $2 in fees per month for standard RR (10Mbps down/1Mbps up).  I have nothing else with TWC.  When I called about a month or two ago, I got quoted about $85 / month for 30Mbps/5Mbps Extreme service.