• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Contracts with TWC

Started by Tivoman44, Tuesday Jun 28, 2011, 10:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

I am regretting adding digital phone as I feel it is kind of a waste.  I know generally TWC does not lock you into a contract, but if I log into my account is there a way to know if I have a contract with TWC?

gparris

Didn't TWC give you a trial period?

Tivoman44

The only trial period I remember is getting showtime for free for 6 months, which is up in August, and they made me repeat that I understood that after 6 months I would keep getting it and it would begin to be charged to my account and if I want to drop it that I need to call and cancel it.  I don't remember getting a special price lock saying that I need to keep the service for at least one year.

Talos4

When I switched, the only trial period I got from TWC was the number of days before the first bill arrived.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Tivoman44;57518I am regretting adding digital phone as I feel it is kind of a waste.  I know generally TWC does not lock you into a contract, but if I log into my account is there a way to know if I have a contract with TWC?

The only thing you are required to do as a customer is return the equipment to them when you stop the service. or they can charge something like $30 to come out, disconnect everything and take it back.

Now, did you sign up for Price Lock Guarantee?  If you did, THAT is a contract, and because you are discounted for the terms of the contract, you must keep the services for the length of the contract. (Generally 1-2 years.)  You can call just before it expires, and if you are a good negotiator, they will take between $10-$25 off what the NEW RATE WOULD BE WITHOUT A CONTRACT.  I have heard of people who are unhappy with their services, wanting a total disconnect of everything, getting transferred to customer retentions and offers of $30 off.  But I don't know how often that works.

I suppose all of these is contingent on your existing service levels, your longevity as a customer, your standing with paying your bills, and any promotional discounts that you have or may be entitled.  Another factor is who you talk to, when you are working out a new deal.

If you DROP services during your Price Lock, I believe it is a $75 per service fee for early withdrawal and either $125 or $150 if you disconnect all services during a Price Lock program.  (Check with a TWC billing supervisor for the exact figures.)

If you refuse to return your rented equipment to them when you stop the services, they have a right to charge you for it, about $400 or more for a cable box or DVR, something like $75 per modem or router, and $15 for a remote control.  My figures are approximate.

MAKE SURE IF YOU STOP SERVICES OR RETURN EQUIPMENT THAT YOU INSIST ON A RECEIPT AND KEEP IT FOR YOUR RECORDS!  MAKE A COPY!  MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH TWC BILLING AROUND THE COUNTRY THAT DON'T DO THIS!!!

If the equipment gets lost, stolen, or destroyed, they can charge you for it.  But in that case, you need to contact a billing supervisor AND your homeowners insurance company, and they will work together to cover the loss.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Tivoman44

Thanks for the info Jack.  I think that I'll have to simply call and ask them.  I do not remember signing anything physical with TWC.  The only thing other than the free showtime is I remember doing is having to verbally answer questions about the phone "do you understand if the power goes out your phone won't work including dialing 911"  do you understand you cannot call prisons with this phone plan, etc.  

The thing that sucks is that I'll need a truck roll regardless to disconnect, because they need to come into my locked building to put a filter on some of the services, so they may as well pick up the equipment as well.