• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Road Runner VS AT&T

Started by Tivoman44, Saturday Jun 25, 2011, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

I am seriously thinking of switching to AT&T from Road Runner.  While I have no issues with Road Runner (using Road Runner Lite), AT&T (at least according to their website) offer internet speed at about 3 megs for $38.00 going with Uverse Internet.  Then AT&T also talks about having DSL, no phone line internet, internet broadband via satelite and dial up.  We all know what dial up is, I assume satelite, a dish needs to be installed.  But what exactly is the difference between Uverse Internet, DSL, and no phone line internet.  When I click on no phone internet it says DSL direct, 3 megs for $19.95 and 6 for $24.00.  How can AT&T offer two different internet plans both of 3 megs one for $19.95 and one for $38.00?

Gregg Lengling

DSL and no phone internet are the exact same product...they used to only allow DSL with good prices on an existing phone line (sharing).  Uverse is delivered from a location (remote hub) within 3000 feet of wire from your house, providing up to their max package of 24 megs down 3 megs up.
If you can get the Uverse internet product opt for that.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tivoman44

Thank you Greg.  According to my landlord, Uverse is available as past tennants had it.  That 3 meg uverse internet price for $19.95 seems like a steal because i remember having road runner basic (2 megs) for about $40.00 whereas road runner like (like 756kbs) for $26.00, so that is an amazing steal.

Do you know if AT&T has any hidden activation/installation/truck roll fees?

Gregg Lengling

There is like a $29.00 activation fee but if you have it tech installed an extra $149.00 but Internet only on Uverse is available as a self install and they will UPS you the equipment.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Tivoman44

If I choose the self install and they UPS the equipment to me, is it a matter of hooking it up, plugging it in, then calling an 800 # and them activating it?  Is there a way to order it and sign up online?  Do you have a link?

Gregg Lengling

http://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/index.jsp#fbid=PiYkK0HlmMx

And no calling in to activate, once you install it gives you a registration page, once you complete that you are surfing.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

popegreg

I know it's not an issue for the vast majority of users, but doesn't AT&T have bandwidth caps for their DSL products?  If you've got Netflix and like me, have been streaming more and more HD content, this could be an issue.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: popegreg;57509I know it's not an issue for the vast majority of users, but doesn't AT&T have bandwidth caps for their DSL products?  If you've got Netflix and like me, have been streaming more and more HD content, this could be an issue.

150 MB cap on ADSL.  250 MB cap on ADSL2+ and VDSL, both of which are marketed as UVerse.  Although I have no idea if ADSL2+ is available in this area.  

These caps were to have been implemented as of 02 May 2011, but at least for me, I get a message that stats are not available and they're not being enforced.  Last time I checked, AT&T had not answered questions about third-party verification of metering accuracy and methodology, i.e. whether they're including ATM overhead and so on.  

I was hitting well over 150 over the winter and switched to VDSL on March.  Since then we are down quite a bit, in the 150 range according to my router, probably since we're outside more.  

One additional thing ... if you are considering switching from the competition, you might call and see if they'll sweeten the deal.  For example my $29 fee was credited back to me over the first six months.  I don't know if they're offering free modems after rebate for DSL nowadays, but you can find them sometimes at Goodwill.  I have an old Speedstream 5100a if you need it and your money is worth more than your time.