• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any word on Road Runner Extreme?

Started by Mark Strube, Thursday May 05, 2011, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

Bebop

If I remembered correctly, when RR was available in the Milwaukee area. The download was 3Mb.

I wonder what it will be in another 10 years?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Matt Heebner

To those of you what have the new Extreme tier...just out of curiosity what modem did you guys get ?  I have TWC coming Sunday to do the modem swap. I am just bumping from 15/1 to 30/2  ....can t really justify the 50/5 cost for now.....

Is it just a modem, or does it have wireless capapbility ? I know some of the Motorola SB have various features.

Thanks

Bebop

It's a gateway, modem with router built-in. It has wireless. They might charge you another $5 a month for the wireless.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Cable-Modems-and-Gateways/SBG6580-SURFboard-eXtreme-Wireless-Cable-Modem-Gateway-US-EN

30/2? I think you meant 30/5.

I prefer my own router and don't like play around with the wireless settings again. I disabled the router features on the gateway and use it as a modem.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Matt Heebner

duncantuna

So what are the prices?  Love to get all of them in one place.

15/2 appears to be $49 from the thread above.  

From TWC's website:
768k/384k  RR Lite - $25/mo
2m/384 Basic - $35/mp
7m/512 Broadband - $45/mo
up to 15/ up to 1m Broadband Turbo/powerboost $55/mo

Wideband 50/5 - $100/month

Anyone know what 30/5 is?

They have some odd pricing there .. if 7/512 is $45, but for $5 more, you get 15/2?

LoadStar

Quote from: duncantuna;57400So what are the prices?  Love to get all of them in one place.

15/2 appears to be $49 from the thread above.  

From TWC's website:
768k/384k  RR Lite - $25/mo
2m/384 Basic - $35/mp
7m/512 Broadband - $45/mo
up to 15/ up to 1m Broadband Turbo/powerboost $55/mo

Wideband 50/5 - $100/month

Anyone know what 30/5 is?

They have some odd pricing there .. if 7/512 is $45, but for $5 more, you get 15/2?

The 15/2 is a special Business Class package. Not generally available to standard Road Runner customers.

I believe their normal packages and "standard" (non-discounted pricing) are:
768k/384k - Lite - $29.95
2m/384 - Basic - $39.95
7m/512 - Standard - $49.95
15/1 - Turbo - $59.95
30/5 - Extreme - $69.95
50/5 - Wideband - $99.95

I think all the pricing goes down by $5 or $10 if you purchase other Time Warner products. I also think that the wideband price might actually be the discounted rate, not the "standard" rate, not sure about that.

duncantuna

Quote from: LoadStar;57401The 15/2 is a special Business Class package. Not generally available to standard Road Runner customers.

Right, from above:

If anyone has TimeWarner Business Class service at work, I just found out that I can get a good deal here at home with their 'home business service'. Same price as the RR fee I was paying ($49) and I get BizClass support along with 15M down and 2M up.

So, if you are lucky enough that your workplace uses TWC for their ISP, you can get double the pipe for the same monthly fee (nearly.)  .. Not a bad deal.  As a complete coincidence, we're laying coax to our business this month for TWC, this is a great tip.

Matt Heebner

When I was on the phone with TWC, I was actually quoted the amount for Extreme as  $49.99/mo. A few min. later she came back to tell me that price is for those who have existing television service from them which I do not.  Not too bad of a price if you have service already.
For me it is $69/mo

duncantuna

Wow .. so for current cable customers .. 30/5 is $49/month?

That would be far better than any other level.  Heck, $45/month gets you 7/512k.  Apparently $49 also gets you 15/2 thru TWC Business.

If you can get 30/5 for $49 .. that's a hell of a deal.   Think I'll upgrade!

Matt Heebner

not sure if that is an introductary price or not though..

Bebop

Double check your TW bill next month. They managed to add another $150 in installation fees to my bill. :) It took me 30 min on the phone to get the mistakes fixed.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

Are your speeds staying pretty consistent with the new service?  Reason I ask is that my standard service seems to dip down to 2-4Mbps at night during peak usage time.  It happened when I had turbo as well.  I'm guessing the node I'm on is saturated; signal readings, etc. on the modem are fine.

ddeerrff

Ditto with my speeds.  1-3 Mbps prime time RR standard.  I think all these new Extreme customers are stealing our bandwidth :)

neomaxi

Quote from: kevbeck122;57423Are your speeds staying pretty consistent with the new service?  Reason I ask is that my standard service seems to dip down to 2-4Mbps at night during peak usage time.  It happened when I had turbo as well.  I'm guessing the node I'm on is saturated; signal readings, etc. on the modem are fine.

Your better off going with the business class deal. $49.99 with three year contact.
you get  Packet prioritiazation.  Meaning your data packets get a priority over all the other regular RR extreme and wideband customers.   I have 15/2. and its pretty consistent... Never drop below 10 meg down... thats the lowest I go.

plus way... better latency and pings..