• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Brewers on FSNHD Out

Started by Tivoman44, Tuesday Apr 19, 2011, 06:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

I am assuming it's weather related but about 10 minutes ago 1309 on TWC went to a ton of pixelation and now the channel is not coming in.  Is this widespread for everyone?  I thought TWC was so much better than satellite because it doesn't go out in bad weather.

WITI6fan

Quote from: Tivoman44;57250I am assuming it's weather related but about 10 minutes ago 1309 on TWC went to a ton of pixelation and now the channel is not coming in.  Is this widespread for everyone?  I thought TWC was so much better than satellite because it doesn't go out in bad weather.

Well technically the cable didn't go out, you were receiving the black signal they were sending! :D

dgerag55

Call Time Warner and report the problem, even if it is just weather related.  I had problems getting local HD channels during bad weather.  It seems the squirrels had chewed or clawed their way through the shield of the main trunk cable (the larger, steel shielded cable).  TWC replaced the segment and it's been fine since then.

Chinatown

Quote from: Tivoman44;57250I am assuming it's weather related but about 10 minutes ago 1309 on TWC went to a ton of pixelation and now the channel is not coming in.  Is this widespread for everyone?  I thought TWC was so much better than satellite because it doesn't go out in bad weather.

That is, as many have said, an absolute fallacy.  Got rid of cable in "99" and will NEVER!!!, go back.

Nels Harvey

Cable companies also rely on satellite reception, just like home satellite customers.  However they use larger dishes, with more gain, than the typical home uses.  

Home satellite reception usually has a dish with barely 3db of signal more than needed for solid reception.  It doesn't take much snow, or heavy rain, to disrupt the signal.  

Cable companies' dishes will maintain a better margin of signal to noise levels.  This doesn't mean they never fail!  A very strong rain front can cause virtually no signal to reach any dish.  Also, if the uplink site suffers from a weather blocking event, the satellite won't even receive a signal to re-transmit.  Nobody gets the signal then.  Uplink transmitters also can fail, along with links from the source to the uplink site.

Home satellite reception is a bit weaker than the cable companies'.  In my opinion, it isn't bad enough to sacrifice the generally better signal quality than what the cable offers.  I plan to keep my Dish Network because it works so well.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Chinatown

Quote from: Nels Harvey;57260Cable companies also rely on satellite reception, just like home satellite customers.  However they use larger dishes, with more gain, than the typical home uses.  

Home satellite reception usually has a dish with barely 3db of signal more than needed for solid reception.  It doesn't take much snow, or heavy rain, to disrupt the signal.  

Cable companies' dishes will maintain a better margin of signal to noise levels.  This doesn't mean they never fail!  A very strong rain front can cause virtually no signal to reach any dish.  Also, if the uplink site suffers from a weather blocking event, the satellite won't even receive a signal to re-transmit.  Nobody gets the signal then.  Uplink transmitters also can fail, along with links from the source to the uplink site.

Home satellite reception is a bit weaker than the cable companies'.  In my opinion, it isn't bad enough to sacrifice the generally better signal quality than what the cable offers.  I plan to keep my Dish Network because it works so well.

Yes, they use larger dishes and the signals they send are send to thousands of subscribers,............so if a signal is lost, they all suffer.

I contend that if a personal dish is installed properly, that being the operative word, the signal lose, in my opinion is minimal.