• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

The Weather "Prophets" Blew It

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Wednesday Mar 09, 2011, 08:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

"Storm Team 4" and their cousins on the other local channels blew what's happening.  They must all get their info. from the National Weather Service who, at 8:00 AM, still did not include Milwaukee County in its storm advisory.  (I can see 2-3 inches on the ground downtown.)

Usually, they all panic over say, 1/4" of snow, but this time they pronised us rain -- South of Ozaukee County.  No way -- it's been snowing hard, and the stuff is very tough to drive in.

Well, maybe I'm being too hard on them.  As we all know, weather forecasting is an inexact science.  If they all weren't so sure of themselves on the weather news programs.

Stan

Gregg Lengling

The only job you can keep when you are less than accurate.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

PatM

Even a stopped clock is exactly accurate - twice a day. :)

techguy1975

Quote from: Stanley Kritzik;57102"Storm Team 4" and their cousins on the other local channels blew what's happening.  They must all get their info. from the National Weather Service

Yes...that is because only the NWS or the Storm Prediction Center in OK can issue watches and or warnings.  Stations cannot do it on their own....at least not officially..

Bluto

The low pressure system moved 50 miles further south than was predicted, which brought the snow that much further south.

In the big scheme of things, 50 miles isn't that much.  I'll cut them some slack on this one.

Stanley Kritzik

If they only didn't come across as "precise".  If they'd use terms like "about", "close to", "maybe", etc.  In short, if they'd recognize (and admit0 that there's a plus and minus element in a forecast.  For example, the 90-day forecasts for precip. and temp. are right about 55% of the time, which is little better than a coin flip.

Stan