• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Thinking of switching back to TWC

Started by joeker, Monday Feb 21, 2011, 08:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nels Harvey

Quote from: gparris;57064That answers my question, you actually NEED a second dish in Wisconsin to receive anything the first dish doesn't offer, like HD locals (the 4, not 5 of them as in Chicago)...ugh.
I thought Dishnetwork had its act together with a one-dish solution like Directv, guess not.:(
Tuesday afternoon, Dish sent out someone who put in one dish, to pickup the 61.5, 72, and 77 degree satellites.  I'm back to just one dish, and this one I can reach if necessary.  BTW, that visit solved my reception problems! :-)  

He left the old, single satellite dish up there because of the snow.  I guess it's extra now, so if anyone wants it, contact me.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

brewtownska

For those of you who noticed the free Starz channels on Dish, did you also notice an increase to your monthly package price?  They raise their rates in February each year, so the $5/mo increase to my package is somewhat offset by the Starz channels.  Just making sure you realize they didn't really give you anything "free" ;)
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Xizer

Why on Earth you people using satellites to try and pick up local channels instead of just using an antenna? :huh?:

Milwaukee also has a few of the full bitrate affiliates left in the country (CW and ABC) so why wouldn't you wanna pick up the full 17 Mbps over the air feeds instead of overcompressed consumer small dish satellite crap?

Nels Harvey

Quote from: Xizer;57068Why on Earth you people using satellites to try and pick up local channels instead of just using an antenna? :huh?:
I use an outside antenna, a CM4228, to pick up all the locals.  With the local channel service, I also get the program guide that covers the channels provided by Dish.

I am able to record two programs off the satellites, and one from the local antenna, on each of the dvr's, all at the same time.  Yes, I could save a few bucks each month, but the overall convenience is worth it IMHO.

Oh yeah, I usually switch to the local feed for my OTA viewing, like local news, etc, but most of my programs are dvr'd so I can blow away the commercials and save time!
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer

gparris

Quote from: Nels Harvey;57066Tuesday afternoon, Dish sent out someone who put in one dish, to pickup the 61.5, 72, and 77 degree satellites.  I'm back to just one dish, and this one I can reach if necessary.  BTW, that visit solved my reception problems! :-)  

He left the old, single satellite dish up there because of the snow.  I guess it's extra now, so if anyone wants it, contact me.

Thanks for the info, great there is a one-dish solution,but I would prefer since it would be a new account when I move, to have a complete, new install.;)

gparris

Quote from: Xizer;57068Why on Earth you people using satellites to try and pick up local channels instead of just using an antenna? :huh?:

Milwaukee also has a few of the full bitrate affiliates left in the country (CW and ABC) so why wouldn't you wanna pick up the full 17 Mbps over the air feeds instead of overcompressed consumer small dish satellite crap?

We do not like roof antennas, and from where we are even now, there are antenna masts everywhere, not just some simple rabbit ears to use in the house, okay?:rolleyes:

Nels Harvey

Quote from: gparris;57070Thanks for the info, great there is a one-dish solution,but I would prefer since it would be a new account when I move, to have a complete, new install.;)
It's interesting that the Dish Network has made feeds available to the eastern half of the country south, and southeast, rather than trying to pick up satellites in the far western sky where trees and other objects tend to block signals because of the low look angles.

I long have struggled with the neighbor's trees to the southwest, and enjoy a great signal from the southeast.  I think this may provide some people with access that could never happen before.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer