• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Milwaukee's affiliates and the blizzard.

Started by Xizer, Wednesday Feb 02, 2011, 12:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xizer

Let's examine how Milwaukee's affiliates are being unprofessional drama queens during some severe weather yet again.

Milwaukee's NBC (WTMJ):

vs.

Chicago's NBC (WMAQ):

Milwaukee's ABC (WISN):

vs.

Chicago's ABC (WLS):

Milwaukee's FOX (WITI):

vs.

Chicago's FOX (WFLD):

Milwaukee's CBS (WDJT):

(I can't get WBBM because its signal is ****.)

What a surprise. Milwaukee's affiliates of the broadcast networks **** their pants and rape their programming with all these awful overlays. Meanwhile, Chicago, which is experiencing the same storm, remains calm, cool and collected. Once again, Chicago's affiliates are superior. Shameful.

Jack 1000

QuoteWhat a surprise. Milwaukee's affiliates of the broadcast networks **** their pants and rape their programming with all these awful overlays. Meanwhile, Chicago, which is experiencing the same storm, remains calm, cool and collected. Once again, Chicago's affiliates are superior. Shameful.

Interesting comparisons!  

What do you think is the motive behind why Chicago would not go overkill with the same weather storm situation, but Milwaukee would?  Both need viewers and ratings revenue.  What makes weather TV information less important to Chicago than Milwaukee?  Who do you believe are the people deciding that Milwaukee needs content weather information, but Chicago does not?

We do have a blizzard today, and I was really shocked to see in those Chicago screen captures that they have almost nothing about the weather!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

jrh1985

You know want, Have fun! I’m leaving!    
I joined this site in November 2008, to track when TMJ4, FOX6, and WISN 12 will go HD.  As of now, TMJ4 and FOX6 have gone HD and WISN 12 is in WS, That’s good enough for me!  I’m sick and tired of all the bad mouthing of our stations.

To those of you, who have posted helpful/useful information, thank you very much. If there are any people from the stations who post on here, this post is NOT directed at you.  Thank you for your hard work and service    

So, good bye and farewell.
jrh1985

budda

Quote from: jrh1985;56976So, good bye and farewell.

jrh1985

Um.... you will be missed?:rolleyes:

REVM1M

Milwaukee stations , you should be ashamed of yourself. Sick and tired of all this garbage all over the screen. I wanted to watch Tonight show last night, first TMJ4 had extended superbowl coverage and then started tonight show with all that S*** all over the screen. I didn't watch any of the local channels last night nor I will today. I watched couple of movies last night and am watching CNN & FOX News for news and ESPN & NFL network for sport news. I will not be watching any local channels until all of this garbage is gone from the screen.

Xizer

I recommend Al Jazeera English for the news. Their coverage of the crisis in Egypt has been nothing less than outstanding.

techguy1975

Itss been said over and over again..but, I guess it needs to be said again...

Until enough people complain, the stations will keep on doing that.  In light of what was happening, I think the coverage was warranted.  It was a very dangerous situation, and from the screen caps, didn't seem to be take up alot of real estate  Also remember, Chicago is DMA #3, Milwaukee is DMA#34 I think?

The ABC & NBC, and I believe FOX affils are network O&Os, in Milwaukee, they are owned by other companies.  That all plays a part in this equation.

trev57

Out of all the stations, WDJT is the first to drop their closings ticker. Wow.

WITI6fan

Quote from: trev57;56981Out of all the stations, WDJT is the first to drop their closings ticker. Wow.

It probably broke. :D

I have some caps of the Chicago stations closings tickers (when they have them up) too.

WBBM has this tiny little ticker! How am I supposed to read this? It's not taking up the lower half of my screen!

WMAQ has this little thing. No "flippers", They didn't even cram an extra line at the bottom to tell you that there are even more closings online!

Okay! Someone at WLS seems to know the Milwaukee-way of making closing graphics, kinda. They're just there and don't really attempt to make them pop off the screen.

Here we go, that's more like it! WGN knows how to do it right. Unfortunately for them, you can't really compare them to a station here because WVTV hasn't had a newscast in years. Sorry, WGN. Better luck next time.

Didn't see WFLD run closings at all. Though that station has been quickly deteriorating. Their late Monday newscast only pulled in 87,500 viewers, compared to the 357,000 that WLS got.

Xizer

Were they running these tickers during normal programming? It doesn't count if they only ran them during news programming.

That was my complaint with the Milwaukee affiliates. They raped all programs. I was furious to see the spam ruining V on WISN Tuesday. :/

WITI6fan

Quote from: Xizer;56983Were they running these tickers during normal programming? It doesn't count if they only ran them during news programming.

That was my complaint with the Milwaukee affiliates. They raped all programs. I was furious to see the spam ruining V on WISN Tuesday. :/

I think WBBM ran theirs during primetime, but again, they have the smallest closings ticker ever. I also believe WLS at least ran theirs following the extended 10PM news last night.

Stanley Kritzik

I guess I can almost forgive CH 4 and CH 12, who carried the "closing" crawls on forever, given the severity of the storm, but, today, listening to NPR's Morning Edition, I heard two SHOCKING pieces of Milwaukee storm news.  The first was that some in Milwaukee were using end loaders to get rid of piles of snow; and, the second was that some snow blowers were actually being used to clear sidewalks!  Wow -- how newsworthy.

Sure, it was a big storm, and the area was pretty well closed down Wednesday, but -- big deal.  BTW, Chicago closed their public schools Wednesday for the FIRST TIME in twelve years.  Think of how many times MPS has closed up shop in the last dozen years, by comparison.

We're getting soft, and the excessive media coverage of weather events doesn't help.  Again, to forestall being yelled at, I think it was wise to shut things down Wednesday -- to avoid acidents and to give plowing a fair chance to clean things up.  But, some of the rest was a bit silly, as is most of it on a 2 or 3-inch snow day.

Stan

Jack 1000

Quote from: WITI6fan;56982It probably broke. :D

I have some caps of the Chicago stations closings tickers (when they have them up) too.

WBBM has this tiny little ticker! How am I supposed to read this? It's not taking up the lower half of my screen!

WMAQ has this little thing. No "flippers", They didn't even cram an extra line at the bottom to tell you that there are even more closings online!

Okay! Someone at WLS seems to know the Milwaukee-way of making closing graphics, kinda. They're just there and don't really attempt to make them pop off the screen.

Here we go, that's more like it! WGN knows how to do it right. Unfortunately for them, you can't really compare them to a station here because WVTV hasn't had a newscast in years. Sorry, WGN. Better luck next time.

Didn't see WFLD run closings at all. Though that station has been quickly deteriorating. Their late Monday newscast only pulled in 87,500 viewers, compared to the 357,000 that WLS got.

You might not want to click on that little image.  My Anti-Virus, (Avast) just stopped a Trojan at that site.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

I work in Illinois, so I was stuck in a hotel for a couple of nights, to work close enough by if needed, including the Tues night blizzard.
During this time, I got all the Chicago local HD channels and during the network shows there were screen pop ups, but not the big, overpowering graphics the Milwaukee local network affiliates use, but just enough, IMO, to carry the warnings.

Here's a no-brainer:
Instead of listing closings, in such horrific weather, how about listing only those business and such that are staying open?
Running right next to the openings, have a disclaimer reads that unless your particular business/school/whatever has not reported in that it is open(tomorrow), it is closed and be done with it.
Honestly, it is overkill and to wait and wait for your location is come up closed is, at least to me, a waste of time.
-The only exception would be if it was a major school system, like Kenosha, MPS or other ones that affect thousands of folks all at once, leave that on, off to the side or show it off and on again (that it was closed).

Chicagoland (most of their stations) had smaller graphics and these were what I expected from the area in displays and Milwaukee's were more like being with a kid with crayons that had to show of more for the same message, IMO.
Now that I am playing back shows I had DVR'd while away the distinction was clear:
Chicago does a better job (with less crayons) and Milwaukee stations are like the kid that never grew up.;)

WPXE ION

Here is an idea. Lets go back a few years before we had all the graphics and just call the place to see if its open. The only exceptions could be schools, major business, events, shelters, food banks, etc.

I think 12 said a one point they had 1,300 closings called in.:eek: So we are supposed to sit through all 1,300 to see if Bingo in Mequon is cancelled? I mean cant they leave a message on their answering machine saying they are closed and the 20 people going to bingo could call and listen to the message. Better yet put a sign on the door saying Bingo is cancelled and if you are crazy enough to drive there you would find out then.

Funny thing with that many closings running on the tickers some stations drop the ticker during commercials, but the machine generating the ticker keeps running. So basically what you may be looking for passed by during the commercial and you have to sit there for 45 minutes waiting to see if it shows up. I think 4 left theirs in all day.

Cmon people pick up the phone and call to see if ABC day care is open or not!!!