• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Remote DVR Manager Now Available For TWC-Navigator (Beta)

Started by Jack 1000, Wednesday Sep 29, 2010, 11:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Time Warner Cable has released the Remote DVR Manager, which allows users to schedule DVR recordings through their computers or mobile phones.  To use, you will need:

1.) A modern Web Browser.
2.) A Fast Internet Connection
3.) A "My Services Account" Note that this is NOT the same as a Pay Express Account.

Here is the link to My Services for TWC-Wisconsin

https://myservices.timewarnercable.com/

IMPORTANT: Remote DVR Manager is still in Beta, not only in Wisconsin, but other areas as well.  This is defined as it being in Beta on the screens as well, so some pages and things may or may not work, may be a little slow.  You might have to delete your browsers' History and Cache.  This just came out yesterday, so some screens may not work right away. (Sometimes the search option does not pick up shows right away.)  But a few minutes later, I was able to get into my My Services account and schedule a show.

There might be a separate webpage for the Mobile phone addition.  Customers can report this information here.  I am using the Web-based version.

So, play around with it, and report your experiences in this thread.  Access is still a little slow getting to the searches and in scheduling, but it seems to work.  I scheduled a remote recording for later today, so we'll see what happens.

Note that I don't know if this is out in all of Wisconsin.  I am in the Metro-Milwaukee area.

Jack

PS. Found out that you can ONLY complete the My Services Registration process through your on-line connected computer.  However, once you are registered, you can use the mobile version of DVR Manager to schedule recordings from your phone.  See the TWC DVR Manager FAQ for more information on how to set up and manage mobile recordings.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

First show through DVR manager scheduled went well for showing up on the box and playback.  An early bug is that search results for obvious shows do not show up all the time and I have to sometimes re-log in to "My Services" to get the search results to show up.

Sometimes the search results will work for the first search, but not for the different search within the same "My Services" browsing session.  For instance, if I search for "Cooking" I may not get search results right away, or I might get search results for cooking, but than if I do another search within the same browsing session for say, "Malcolm in the Middle", it will say that it could not find results even when the show is obviously on the schedule.

I have submitted this bug to TWC through their e-mail form for feedback.  The processing of shows could be a tad faster, but I think this will be improved over time and updates.  For a Beta release, so far, it has worked pretty well.

Jack

klwillis45

I can't get the page to load.

Is the site down for anyone else? I do have 2 HD-DVRs, not sure if that's causing a problem.

edit: Nevermind. It's working now & I can see both DVRs.

duncantuna

Pfft.

I tried it.  There's a conflict with 3 shows tonight, so I figured I'd use the web based system to fix it, since that should be faster than using the clunky DVR menus.  Bad idea.

I clicked on "replace this recording" about 5 minutes ago.  It's still "processing" my request.

-kb

Jack 1000

Quote from: duncantuna;56318Pfft.

I tried it.  There's a conflict with 3 shows tonight, so I figured I'd use the web based system to fix it, since that should be faster than using the clunky DVR menus.  Bad idea.

I clicked on "replace this recording" about 5 minutes ago.  It's still "processing" my request.

-kb

I had that issue with another recording last night.  It was stuck on "Processing Request." (Nothing goes to the box until you get the confirmation message) than it shows on the box quick.  At least that's how it worked for me.  A few minutes later, I tried it again and it worked, so this might be a server issue.

I go to the TWC-Navigator AVS forums a lot.  One thing that they note is that the system only seems to show CURRENTLY SCHEDULED RECORDINGS on the box.  At this time, I think you can only change a show scheduled for recording, or a show that is currently being recorded.  What this means, is that once a show goes to the Show List and is complete, you must use the box to delete it.  An update is coming that will show ALL Recordings on the box, and you will be able to do everything to them remotely, instead of shows just being scheduled or are in the process of recording.  You can still do anything to a show or series before it records or as it is being recorded.

They are working on better conflict resolution.  I really like the Interface and Search options! (Better than the box!)

Jack

Jack 1000

Two more small bugs:

1.) On some programs for DVR Manager, if there are multiple pages of listings for a show, sometimes those pages do not always appear.

2.) Sometimes shows when you expand a search listing, do not show up below the search results.

It should be noted at for what I said above, this is an intermittent problem.

Jack

Jack 1000

More DVR Manager Tips And Help: Spelling and Word Possession Count!

(Here are some examples.)

The spelling for search is very sensitive on Remote DVR Manager. It often does not recognize plural forms of searches if a singular word form represents the show and vice-versa.

So a show called, "Joe's Dinner Delights" if you actually type in the words "Joes Dinner Delights" there is a chance it might not pick anything up! Sometimes it will. You will often need the exact version of the title typed in "Joe's Dinner Delights." A search for the word "Dinner" would probably return the show in results but the tip is:

The Search engine currently seems to recognize ONLY the exact verbiage of a word or phrase in the database. Some divisions seem to have better updates within the database than others. But it seems to be that at this time:

The system must have knowledge of at least one exact spelled word typed for results to be returned.

Inaccurate spelling, punctuation, or any possessive form of words that are not in the database may result in no results.

Take Note of the Following:

Most divisions when you log in to them through your My Services Account, and if you go to the "My TV" tab, there will be a DVR Manager FAQ that provides TONS of information on tips and usage. Near the bottom of the page might be a Troubleshooting option. Look for "Contact Us" and you should be able to fill out an e-mail form for DVR Manager bugs.

The product is in Beta, so using the feedback form, I think I just selected, Cable/Technical Support and made the body of my message:

"DVR Manager Feedback Report" Than in the body of my message, I gave a list of pros and cons with the system, with the cons being where their needed to be room for improvement. TWC responded like the next day, and said they are forwarding all troubleshooting issues to personnel to help improve the system.

Within as little as one to two weeks, I am seeing improvements. If you can't find troubleshooting within the FAQ of DVR Manager, just use any Contact Us" link on the site and fill out an e-mail form as I indicated above.

Jack

Bigdog

It looks interesting but I didn't see a way to show what is already recorded on that DVR. It would also be nice to be able delete a recording if not wanted anymore to make room for new stuff.  Hopefully this will also be a stepping stone to the whole house DVRs that other providers are offering.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Bigdog;56482It looks interesting but I didn't see a way to show what is already recorded on that DVR. It would also be nice to be able delete a recording if not wanted anymore to make room for new stuff.  Hopefully this will also be a stepping stone to the whole house DVRs that other providers are offering.

An update is coming to DVR Manager that will allow you to see what has already been recorded on your DVR.  I have also requested through feedback forums a percent of space used indicator, and bringing Keyword Search functionality to the cable boxes, like it shows for DVR Manager.  The mainstream launch for us in Wisconsin is supposed to be October 29th.  You may have already seen TV ads for Remote DVR Manager.  They are doing a good job with this.

Green Bay does not have it yet.  It will be a progressive roll-out.  It seems like Beta launches may be promoted on a division by division basis.  Hold the Beta for 3-5 months and than do a mainstream release for each division.  Most people REALLY like it!  It still has some bugs, but it has the potential to be great!

Jack

Bigdog

That will be helpful as well especially if it gives you control over those stored programs.  I found another bug with it in regards to renaming of the DVRs. We have 2 and I renamed them to the room they are in but it seems to revert back to their MAC addresses.    I still am eagerly awaiting the whole house DVR system which hopefully also supports external storage either USB or eSATA.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Bigdog;56485That will be helpful as well especially if it gives you control over those stored programs.  I found another bug with it in regards to renaming of the DVRs. We have 2 and I renamed them to the room they are in but it seems to revert back to their MAC addresses.    I still am eagerly awaiting the whole house DVR system which hopefully also supports external storage either USB or eSATA.

Somewhere in the My Services section there's a Remote DVR FAQ and User Guide.  It is VERY HELPFUL.  (I downloaded it.)  There's also a troubleshooting feedback form, and they (unlike other things) are doing a good job of responding to issues with the Beta.  All customers should fill out the form and report bugs.  I chose the heading for the Feedback Form Cable/Technical Support and titled the message Remote DVR Manager Feedback Report.  TWC acknowledged it the next day.

Jack

Bigdog

I'll take a look for that Users Guide and see what it says.  BTW thanks for posting the link to this feature as it had an added benefit for me. We also use them for digital phone and it shows options that I didn't know were even on there....

Jack 1000

Update:

Just a report that Remote DVR Manager is working great here in my area!  I have not had any of the earlier bugs, and there is more information about it in My Services.  If only the boxes had this type of functionality!

Jack